Oscars to have 10 Best Picture nominations

Toups

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm with you Toups. I'm trying to determine the motivation behind this. Does the AMPAS hope this will get more populist flicks in, a la WALL*E and The Dark Knight last year? We all know that the more populist flicks, the bigger the ratings. The year Titanic won, the ratings for Oscar were huge.

• Members

I think alot of it has to do with film credits- "nominated for best picture". It helps increase the credibility of some big hollywood studio films and gets people to buy them on video or go see them at the movies. It's a small effort towards getting the public to spend more money on the film industry. WE all know there will only be 3 real contenders for best picture, but increasing the number to 10 might help the other films in the long run.

You can't do the same for best actor, or best director, or best cinematography... because that drives those individual parties prices up. If so-and-so(7/10 unlikely winner) was nominated for best actress he/she can demand more from the studio.

Political features tied to big studios will be given more credibility. At least that's my guess, because why not 10 nominees. There's only 1 winner.

Archived