Y&R: Episodes Discussion for the week June 22

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL! I get all excited that there will be 2 threads for the folks that like to discuss episodes, and the folks who hate the show and want everyone fired - but fired up crew is just posting the same hate on both threads. Gee whiz! I hope everyone understrstands why people would like to have 2 threads and respect it.

-When did Nikki get over-the-shoulder boulder holders?

- All Victor needs to do to rat Adam out is take the laptop to a geek like Kevin or a forensic computer expert. Where's the application for the hidden cameras? I don't think Victor is very computer savvy.

- I'm sort of bummed that Chloe still seems hung up on Billy. After the ring toss, I thouht she was totally done.

- I REALLY wish I hadn't read those spoilers about MJ/Nick/Phyllis/Summer and Sharon's crazy decision. I REALLY hope SC sells this.

- i have taken the liberty of making a squishy name for Patty and Cane - Pane!! I'm SO excited for them and SO hope they become a couple.

• Members

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Really it just seems like there will be two threads to catch up on and discussion will be scattered and harder to keep up with. On the other hand if this cuts down on the fighting, I'm good with it.

• Members

Yes, honey... that Red dress on Friday did her NO favors. But you know, those puppies of hers have needed major support for quite some time. She needs something with major underpinnings and foundation. I'm also really bummed... I'm gonna miss her enormous udders dancing across my tv screen, and the way she blubbers like an 8 year old girl who's dropped her ice cream cone. :(

• Members

I actually love the way Melody Thomas Scott looks these days. I think she's much more beautiful with the extra weight than she was 10 years ago. It didn't help that they dressed her like a old lady then, but she looks good now. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Nina too! I want her to lay into Cane hardcore and when Phillip arrives I want her to [!@#$%^&*] him up too.

With Adam, I'm looking forward to the recast and his chemistry with Heather. Not sure how I feel about the other part of the story. I'm sure it'll be interesting in a short term way, but they've become a little plot driven so I'm not sure it'll be handled correctly over the long term.

• Members

Nikki's dress looked like a bathrobe. And no one's figure is most flattered by a bathroom, no matter how much you cinch the tie.

I have intuited for some time that she is having back pain, and I believe that explains much of what we're seeing.

Haiduk is awesome. I will forgive her almost anything. Leanna Love started out even crazier, and stuck around for years.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jun 20 2009, 05:56 PM)
I actually love the way Melody Thomas Scott looks these days. I think she's much more beautiful with the extra weight than she was 10 years ago. It didn't help that they dressed her like a old lady then, but she looks good now. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Nina too! I want her to lay into Cane hardcore and when Phillip arrives I want her to [!@#$%^&*] him up too.

With Adam, I'm looking forward to the recast and his chemistry with Heather. Not sure how I feel about the other part of the story. I'm sure it'll be interesting in a short term way, but they've become a little plot driven so I'm not sure it'll be handled correctly over the long term.

I have NO problem whatsoever with her weight. It's my opinion that a woman looks better if she carries a little weight as she gets older. Extra fat helps to fill in wrinkles, gives a softer appearance. My problem is her WARDROBE, her HAIR, and the LACK OF A BRASSIERE many times for those gigantic knockers of hers.

• Members

I think if soaps started to transition women to strong matriarch roles around the time they turn 50, there might not be such negative emphasis on weight when some of the divas put on a few pounds. You hardly ever hear people say mean things about Susan Flannery and I think that's because B&B doesn't try to write her as the sexist women on the show. But most shows seem to not want to write for that type of character, so that keeps the pressure on for people to look much younger and thinner than is generally reasonable after a certain age. I remember someone saying that MTS's weight diminishes her in one of the threads. I don't think that is true at all, but it does change the role of her character.

• Members

I'm starting to wonder if this upcoming "controversial" storyline for Adam was fabricated just to give an excuse to the anticipated ratings drop that is now happening. Why blame the show as a whole when you can conveniently add in a scape goat?

As for this doctor coming to treat him with stem cells, wouldn't it have made more sense for Adam to declare that it is against the values his mother taught him to use, controversial, stem cells to overcome this disease that God saw fit to bless him with. How could Victor argue against that, rather than this stupid false hope crap. With all the information Victor has, he could still assume that this spawn of Satan does still have some moral compass, even if the audience knows otherwise.

Spoiler tags to be removed after Monday's show

Who is doing the wardrobe on the show these days? About 6 months ago I couldn't get over how great these women were dressed and how they were looking like the socialites they supposedly are. Now they look like they are picking this ill fitting crap out of dumpsters. Jill looks like she's returning to the clown outfit stage she got out of 10 years ago. Chloe is supposed to be a stylist and yet she is looking like she belongs in a trailer with these shirts that leave her bustier hanging out all over. Even with budget cuts, a talented costumer should be able to make some good tasting lemonade out of these lemons.

• Members

Of course they are going to blame any ratings drop on the gay storyline because that's how they roll. Or they'll blame the Winters or latina Estella!

Heaven forbid they blame the bad writing that destroyed the Quad, their single biggest draw.

• Members

cara mia.. we already have a reason for the ratings drop. The internet streams have really been up. I guess you saw Nelson's latest where he dropped the info that Y&R was #7 on streaming? I still maintain that Neilsen is MASSIVELY underreporting Over the air viewers. The federal government went by NEILSEN'S numbers when they alloted coupons for the converter box program.. and we see what a fiasco that was, a GROSS underestimation, by several million. And seeing how Y&R skews old, the older viewer is far more likely to be watching over the air, especially since rural areas have a much higher percentage of older residents than urban areas. And rural areas by and large use antennas for TV at a WAY higher rate (Your choice is either satellite or antenna, no cable in any rural area)

• Members

We, however, do not have a sound reason for why Y&R is tying its record low ratings, and why Y&R fell so heavily last year when the show's internet streaming was only beginning. It's one thing to fall, it's another thing to hit new lows or tie new ratings lows. That's very troublesome territory. Other soaps not steaming on the internet are also hitting or meeting new lows.

• Members

I watch the show online myself sometimes so that makes sense. From my understanding though, online views do not generate that much income. That was the heart of the producers' argument against the writers during the writers' strike. The producers view online as PROMOTIONAL for broadcast and thus did not want to pay the writers since they make very little money on streams. The writers, of course, want a cut of that money -- even if the pot is tiny.

I have my doubts about the Nielsen Ratings also but in the case of Y&R and B&B, I do believe that the dissatisfaction expressed by online fandom is not unrelated to the dip in ratings. Remember that DAYS has been steadily increasing -- and that increase is going hand in hand with greater satisfaction from fans. IMO, Y&R and B&B are really tied together and the suck at B&B has hurt Y&R. My unscientific guess is that in markets where Y&R and DAYS compete there are fans who used to watch Y&R for an hour than B&B. B&B got so bad, they turned to the last half hour of DAYS. And now, sometimes, these viewers will only watch the first half hour of Y&R and then switch to DAYS.

Archived