• Members

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/t...l_hospital.html

Coma boy awakes a changed person on 'General Hospital'

BY Carolyn Hinsey

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, May 8th 2009, 4:00 AM

Michael wakes from his coma next week on "General Hospital."

My, how he's grown.

"He's 17 now," says Laura Wright, who plays Michael's mom, Carly. 'The actor playing him [Drew Garrett] is 20. I guess I had him at 16."

"GH" is aging Michael so he can mix in with the "teen" set. But he'll face significant health hurdles before he can do that.

"The levels in his brain are dropping," says Wright. "Everyone is arguing about the surgery, and then Carly shows up fresh from seeing some high-risk pregnancy doctor in North Carolina."

Wanting answers.

"Carly says, 'Let me talk to Patrick.' He says, 'I can do this, Carly. But if he doesn't wake up [within] 24 hours after the surgery, he isn't going to. No patient has woken up after 24 hours.' "

Michael makes it through, "but then they are all at his bedside, and Patrick comes in. He goes from positive to not-so-positive."

Jax forces Carly to go rest while they wait, since she is pregnant.

"He says, 'You have to accept it, Carly.' She goes home. Jason comes over and says, 'He woke up!' "

Carly races back to the hospital and finds Lulu there.

"It's like a scary movie," says Wright. "She's by herself in a dark room holding his hand, and the coma guy wakes up."

Carly is in for as rude an awakening as her son.

"Michael is furious with Carly because she wasn't there when he woke up. Then he finds out she's pregnant, and he's really not happy. He doesn't realize he's been in a coma for a year."

They can't tell him until they get the all-clear from Michael's doctor.

"In true soap opera fashion, Patrick comes in: 'The tests all came back positive!'"

In the weeks to come, look for Michael's new stepmonster, Claudia, to fish around about what he may have heard while she was confessing her role in his shooting to him as he lay comatose.

"It's hysterical," says Wright. "She says things like, 'Can coma victims hear when they're asleep?' That becomes her whole m.o."

"GH's" m.o. will be to throw a few winks to fans after Michael wakes up.

"We have lines like, 'It's amazing how much he's grown," and I talk about how his voice has changed. It's almost as if he's a totally different person. Hello! We know he doesn't look anything like Dylan Cash [who used to play Michael]."

Comings and goings: John Driscoll (ex-Coop, "Guiding Light") is joining "The Young and the Restless" as Nina's now-grown son, Phillip.

[email protected]

• Members
"He's 17 now," says Laura Wright, who plays Michael's mom, Carly. 'The actor playing him [Drew Garrett] is 20. I guess I had him at 16."

Well Carly was like 21 when she had him in December 1997. So pretty much since they had to go and age him by 5 years, she pretty much had him at 16. :rolleyes:

Then again, I guess it's not so drastic... Jason was definitely SORAS'D when he returned in the 90s.

• Members
Carly races back to the hospital and finds Lulu there.

"It's like a scary movie," says Wright.

Lulu can definitely be hard to spend time with.

So this is a knockoff of the Jason story. He'll reject his family and chase after Lulu. How many failed love interests will she get before they give up? Never, probably.

• Members

Lulu and Michael are blood relations. This isn't GL.

Though I'm sure they're tempted to pair her with their new golden boys, unfortunately both are related to her. Poor, poor Lulu.

• Members
It would be an amazing twist if Michael rejected them and decided to be a Q!

I second that. Fans would probably tune back in to see the look on Sonny's face. I would love it if Michael wanted to be called Alan.

Archived