Another World

• Members

To preface, I am fascinated by soap costume and set design, so this picture of Rachel and Carl in New York sent me down a rabbit hole.

Presuming it was taken during Rachel and Carl's romance in New York period, this would have been in 1993.  Which means that Margarita Delgado, who started in 1985 as an assistant and then was promoted to lead costume designer in 1987, and was nominated for a daytime Emmy award the year the photo was taken, was responsible for the look.  However, when JFP took over in 1994, Margarita left for ATWT where she won the Emmy for the next five years in a row.

Looking through photos online, Rachel's look did not change dramatically after Ms Delgado's departure.  However, it is interesting to see how the 90s affinity for minimalism really modernized both Carl and Rachel, and kept them looking as viable romantic leads, as opposed to grandparents, like how Ada or Liz were dressed at the same age.

A NYT article on Fall 1993 fashion trends noted that Edwardian inspired jackets with frog closures (those black loop-to-loop things on Rachel's coat) were very on-trend and seen in the collections of everyone from YSL to Anna Sui.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/02/news/review-fashion-from-anna-sui-dandies-and-dolls.html

I'll leave the discussion of the questionable appeal of Carl's ponytail to another day.

Edited by j swift

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My last post on Another World was too strong; Victoria Wyndham wasn't Mary Stuart from Search for Tomorrow.  Another World was never built around Victoria Wyndham to that degree; it was more of an ensemble. She also never received a special cast credit, the way Mary Stuart did.

I do think by the mid-to late 70s though, Victoria Wyndham was the unofficial star of the show, and pretty much the main character into the 1980s. The proof of the pudding are the cast lists at the end of the show. You can find them pretty regularly on youtube starting with 1979. Her name is always first, followed by Douglass Watson second, and then the rest of the cast, usually in the order in which they joined the show. Her name comes first all the way to the last episode. 

Interesting to compare on youtube a cast list at the end of a September 1974 episode to one at the end of an October 1979 episode. In the one from 74, Victoria Wyndham is 3rd from the top; Alice is #1 and Steve is #2; and Douglass Watson is third from the bottom. In the October 1979 episode, Victoria Wyndham is number 1; Douglass Watson number 2, and that's the way it stays until Watson's passing in 1989. 

• Members

By mid-1987 only Wyndham, Watson, Ford, and Dano had been with the show for more than a year or so.  And only Constance Ford had been there longer than Victoria Wyndham. I am not sure whether Wyndham and Watson had credits above Ford simply because they had leading roles and Ada was more supporting, or if it is possible that Ford was not on contract at some points during her tenure. Contract actors were always listed above day players. 

The only special credit I can think of from the mid-1980s onward is that Denise Alexander was put at the end of the credits as "and Denise Alexander as Mary McKinnon".

• Members

I suppose it depends on the era of the show. I have no problem thinking of VW as the “star” of AW.  When she was new to the show, though, it would’ve been Jacquie Courtney. Near the end, Jensen Buchanan was presented as the “star.”  Since the show ended with VW, literally, I’m giving it to her. 

Shows built around one character often become ensembles when those characters go back-burner or the actors leave though. Mary Stuart was the star of SFT but not the lead at the end. If Sherry Mathis had stayed one more year, Liza would have gone out on top.  And, love her or hate her, Kim Zimmer’s Reva ruled GL when the actress was on. The years she wasn’t, it was a true ensemble. 

• Members

The original Matthews girls. Susan Trustman as Pat and Liza Chapman as Janet were frontburner for the first two or so years. Jacquie as Alice was supporting.

Susan left show business after AW and Liza died in a car crash after leaving the show. Rare to see a photo of all three

ar4ylgmbhjsljs.jpg?skj2io4l

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

It is said that Ms. Chapman joined the cast of The Secret Storm, and I have assumed that she joined that show's cast after she had left Another World.    Her IMDb biography lists her character as "Barbara Bradford" and states that she appeared on that show in two episodes.