Another World

• Members

I think that those of us who who put MdP as a misogynist & as a writer of serial violence have true aim. It is telling that in the 'Frankie Frame Gruesome Murder saga' Jill Phelps whose responsibility it was tried to get the ending changed so Frankie would not be seen killed on camera perhaps instead a soapy "not-death" but Jill's power was waning while MdP's was on the rise. MdP said how it would be.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Donna i didn't know that. Jason Frame's murder mystery was good. The only thing i didn't like was how Nicole was thrown under the bus. I loved a scene where Felicia sporting her weave. Was getting ready for her 40th birthday bash. As Carly Simon's - Sleight Of Hand plays. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I was actually excited at the time for Nicole to be obliterated because Cass and Frankie were a much more appealing option. The character of Nicole in this incarnation was not interesting to me. Did she have any real relationship with Donna and Victoria or Marley? All I remember is her with Cass and Felicia. 

• Members

The continuous recasts of Nicole were problematic.  At first she was the party girl/rich girl/model.  That was a good contrast to the uppity Donna and the stallwart Peter, who you knew came from money, but was a smart, level headed hard worker.  Nicole Part Deux was some sort of combination of smart, level headed and she all of sudden sang.  She pretended to be a reporter to get to meet Michael.  She was the one who stood up to Reginald.  Then we get Designer Nicole.  Not as confident.  Not as level headed.  She never really had much of a base in Bay City and seemed to come in for a storyline and then once that came to an end, they didn't know what to do with her.  Once she went to jail and Peter left town, the Loves were really the Hudsons and that was that.  It certainly happens as time goes on as it happens in real life....but with the constant change of head writers as well.

• Members

Billboard July 1982

Any fans of the soap opera "Another World" on NBC will be interested in "Ms. D.J. Rap It Up!" by She on Clappers Records. The 'She' in question is named Shelia Spencer, better known as Thomasina on "Another World." She's a reformed juvenile delinquent trying to be a good girl and is going with this nice guy, but is being tempted by ... You get the picture. Anyway, this is Spencer's first time on record, though soap opera connoisseurs may remember her from a stint on "The Guiding Light."

• Members

Peter likewise changed as he was recast -- from the original stalwart basically good guy to the duplicitous creep who tried to sabotage Sally's relationship with Catlin to the sniveling needy child who would do anything to gain Reginald's approval. More than the casting I think the writing was the root of the problem. When the Love family was introduced we got a very good sense of how their wealth and privilege had affected each of the children differently and yet convincingly. As time went on there was no clear sense that there was any difference in class between the Loves and anyone else in Bay City. (I'm not saying that egalitarianism is wrong, just that where the differences exist it adds depth to characterization to portray them.)

I'm struggling to recall any real relationship they had that might have offered Nicole a lifeline instead of her being locked up and forgotten after she went off the deep end. I know when Nicole came back with her vendetta against Barbara Van Arkdale she didn't want anything to do with Reginald and got engaged to Cass (actually Rex Allingham impersonating Cass) in order to get access to her trust fund, while Donna was trying to get pregnant and also some bullshit regarding John that I don't even want to describe.

• Members

I think you are right.  If I remember correctly, I read that Anna Stuart auditioned for the Role of Jessica on the newly created Soap Generations that turned into a complete flop.  She did not get the role and prob a blessing in disguise as she made her way back to NY and I think even contacted AW and requested to come back.  Philece Sampler (RIP) was playing the role of Donna at that time and I dont think the fans were as favorable to her as they were to Anna. I am sure the producers thought the same thing.  I thought I did hear too that Philece did want to move on so not sure if they fired her or it just worked out she wanted out and Anna wanted back in