Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Larry Haines played Sidney "Sharky" Sugarman from February to July 1989.  He dated Ada during World War II and in 1989.  Ada and Sidney's WWII backstory was explained in the 1989 Valentines to Singles episodes.  The character was dropped shortly after the death of Mac Cory.   The show used Ada to support Rachel after Mac's passing, and they probably chose to use Ada with this storyline rather than featuring her dating Sidney.

• Members

Although Larry Haines was a great actor, the character was badly conceived.  With his silly name --  Sidney "Sharky" Sugarman, and his overly comedic presence, the character just didn't fit as a long-term love interest for Ada.  Plus, their romantic back-story was historically inaccurate, since Ada didn't move to Bay City until middle-age, when Rachel was already a young adult.  As I've said in previous posts, Donna Swajeski (head writer at the time) was not good at creating new characters.  Although her writing for existing characters was usually acceptable, most of the characters she created were gimmicky and unbelievable.  Derrick Dane, Frankie Frame, and Sharky Sugarman are just three good examples of that.  Frankie Frame did eventually out-grow her gimmicky beginnings and became a beloved member of the cast, when later writers wrote for the character.  Sharky was just too silly to be believable, even with Larry Haines playing the character.   I can certainly see Connie Ford and Larry Haines playing opposite one another and having great chemistry.  But not as Sharkey.

• Members

I liked Frankie from Day One & I hung around online with people who accepted Frankie whole heartedly too. Although I am turned around because I thought RCulliton created Frankie. I'm sure you're right. That said I can't mount any defense of either Derrick or of Sharkey. They were both just types. And, Stacy as a love interest for Derrick just didn't work. No click. No future.

• Members

Surprised to discover  that Constance Ford was married at one time. Came across a newspaper article from 1954.

The relevant excerpt

Shelley Hull, the son of the actor and stage manager at the theater, into her life. She and Hull, now a director for ABC-TV were married in 1947. '

THE HULLS live in Greenwich Village in New York in an apartment Connie says is furnished "for comfort." They enjoy the easy informality of Village life. But as a housewife, Connie has one admitted handicap, she hates to cook.

Shelley Hull went on to work with Aaron Spelling on Colbys, Love Boat etc

They separated in late 1955

Constance Ford and her husband Shelley Hull celebrate their ninth wedding anniversary by separating. She'll keep their apartment, he'll move to another.

Edited by Paul Raven