Another World

• Members

I have seen the list of Another World's producers dozens of times; however, it was not until tonight that I realized that Lyle B Hill had produced the show.

I had thought that he had left As the World Turns and to work directly to Another World: Somerset when that show premiered.   

I also realized that many of the roles on Somerset were filled with performers who had appeared on As the World Turns (Edward Kemmer, Gary Sandy, Pamela Miller, Michael Lipton, Philip Sterling, Miles Chapin).    The only performers on Another World during the time that he was producing it were Nancy Wickwire and Virginia Dwyer.   (I know that Ms. Dwyer was already on the show when Mr. Hill began producing Another World.)

Later, of course, both executive producer Lyle B Hill and headwriter Robert Cenedella were working on the new spinoff of Another World.  I know that Mr. Cenedella was working on both shows.    Was Mr. Hill also working on both shows?

I have seen the list of Another World's producers dozens of times; however, it was not until tonight that I realized that Lyle B Hill had produced the show.

I had thought that he had left As the World Turns and to work directly to Another World: Somerset when that show premiered.   

I also realized that many of the roles on Somerset were filled with performers who had appeared on As the World Turns (Edward Kemmer, Gary Sandy, Pamela Miller, Michael Lipton, Philip Sterling, Miles Chapin).    The only performers on Another World during the time that he was producing it were Nancy Wickwire and Virginia Dwyer.   (I know that Ms. Dwyer was already on the show when Mr. Hill began producing Another World.)

Later, of course, both executive producer Lyle B Hill and headwriter Robert Cenedella were working on the new spinoff of Another World.  I know that Mr. Cenedella was working on both shows.    Was Mr. Hill also working on both shows?

I did not watch Another World at the time.   I began watching Somerset a few weeks after its premiere.   I remember some of the cross-over performances that the cast of Another World made on the new show, but none of those with Somerset's cast appearing on Another World.   I did not begin watching Another World until 1974.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have posted the entire last day that SOD published, after spending all day, May 25, 1999, at the Brooklyn studio. It's in 3 Parts. They're all pinned to Features. The topic line for them is Pt. x- SOD Jun 29, 1999 Last Day at AW Studio May 25, 1999. It's a lot to read but I hope you enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/soapthegoodthebadtheugly/?multi_permalinks=3206414033010474&notif_id=1653164200628518&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

• Members

Pat's abortion was before my time, so I don't know how it came across. Based on the 1964 synopses it played out over several weeks with Tom pressuring Pat not to have the baby and ultimately leading to his murder. I was disappointed in the way the show used abortion in all of the storylines I recall in its last 20 years -- basically the formula of pregnant woman going to abortion clinic (manipulatively, if a bad girl, like Blaine or Brittany) or sincerely, if a good girl (like Amanda) so that someone (usually the father, or some guy who believed he was the father, or in Olivia's case, interfering Marley) could catch up to her and talk her out of it. 

All done with very noble intentions, but they went to extremes to make Dawn a perfect innocent. Maybe that was what was necessary for the times and the sponsor and the network and the daytime audience, but it could have been so much more powerful if they had used a character with a personality, and/or deep connections to core families instead of sanitized ex-pimp Chad Rollo and tangential Love Scott Lasalle. Or even if Dawn had interacted with some less saintly patients. The timeline would not have worked out from a prostitution angle, but what if instead of sending MJ out of town they had figured out a way for her to contract HIV? Or Jamie or someone close to Jamie at the hospital?

• Members

MJ finding out she had HIV after the reveal of her prostitution past would have been a great story to delve into! It would have involved the McKinnons and the Corys because of Adam.

Prostitution and a social story at the same time?  I don't think the writers-or the network- would have made it as gritty as it should be to make it a powerful story.

• Members

My theory on why the show made Dawn the one with AIDS was to show public that it could happen to anyone.  Not just a drug dealer, or other characters that the audience would have deemed as expecting to see have it.

Still..it would have had more impact if it was a main character viewers knew (i.e. Robin on GH in the 90s).

• Members

Oh, yeah, that is why they had it happen to *perfect* Dawn, to make people aware of the universal threat. And, when Wendy Riche pitched the idea she had to Claire Labine it was about something that could happen to just anybody, even, ... these 2 kids. That Dawn got it from her mother & her mother had a secret, well, that was just soapy of it.

I've heard that OLTL had a plan in place to have Joey Buchanan contract HIV/AIDS & use the core family child play. No idea what happened to it. ABC really did that up right w/ Bianca & gay & w/ Robin & HIV.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Victoria Wyndham's gallery

Some folk were asking about what Vicky is doing & I told them what I knew & included about the 7 yrs she sorta wandered in the desert, truly lost after the show was off the air, ending with her finding a painting instructor & taking class & now having a gallery, etc. So I said what the hey & ran down its location.

Edited by Tonksadora
Fix text. Ad scan inserted.

• Members

In 1987 it was too early for them to confidently and realistically expect the character to survive for any length of time, so I can understand that they needed it to be someone they could kill off. Showing the audience that anyone could contract HIV from a blood transfusion has limited value in terms of a social message since needing a blood transfusion or ensuring that the blood supply is safe is typically out of the control of an individual. So the only constructive social value in having a character who contracted HIV/AIDS  indisputably through no fault of her own would be in showing that it was safe for the people of Bay City to socialize with her. As far as I recall they didn't have any controversy among regular characters about whether to accept Dawn or shun her -- Scott fell in love with her at first sight and nobly and chastely dated her. Nobody, not even Reginald, tried to keep them apart or refused to be physically near her. Only Chris Noth as the dean of her college went to court to prevent her from attending classes and maybe some random strangers yelled at her about possibly having low morals once. They didn't try to integrate any real stakes in the main cast. Nobody risked seeming to be a villain, nobody had to unlearn a prejudice. Scott took her on a beautiful vacation where she died beautifully and then came back and picked up the pieces with Cheryl. It was an isolated temporary issue storyline with very little impact.