Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, Courtney's last few years must have been very hard. I've been in the situation of having to care for a parent with Alzheimer's, and it is a grueling, 24/7 job. I was happy to do it, and glad I did it, and I know it was the right thing to do, but it was extremely difficult. I do hope Courtney is at peace now. 

• Members

So nice that Courtney's daughter has fond memories of her mother.   Sad that there was so much that happened to Courtney in her last years.   I truly wish that AW had done more with her character of Alice when she returned in 1984.  She really wasn't given her own story, but Alice was used as a sounding board for her daughter, Sally.   In March, 1985, it finally looked as if AW was going to use Alice and Rachel's backstory when Alice was Rachel's doctor when she was shot and developed amnesia.  After Rachel returned home, she wanted nothing to do with Mac. This was the perfect chance to restart the Rachel/Mac/Alice story from 1981, but TPTB released Courtney from the show.   I think TPTB should had done more to keep Courtney's Alice on the show at this point.

Edited by watson71

• Members

After all the talk of Jacqueline Courtney, I went to the Another World Homepage to do some research about how she was let go in 1985.  I never knew that AW did not have a headwriter from February 1985 - July 1985, with a two-week writers' strike occurring within this time period.   There were a great number of on-screen changes on the show at this time.   Does anyone recall anything in the press about the show not having a headwriter for 5 months?  Were the subwriters working off a pre-written bible?   If so, who wrote the bible that would make so many on-screen changes to the show?

The many on-screen changes included at this time:
1. The introduction of pivotal characters of Vicky Hudson, Jake McKinnon, and Bridget Connell
2. McKinnon brother, Ben, leaves Bay City never to be seen again.
3. The character of Vince McKinnon leaves in March 1985 and does not return until March 1986.
4. The arrival of Sharon Gabet from Edge of Night as Catlin's supposedly dead wife Brittany Peterson with Zane Lindquist, who would become involved with Felicia.
5. The arrival of Tony the Tuna's niece Dee Evans who would develop a crush on Cass.
6. The introduction of Dr. Chris Chapin whose family had a connection to Carl Hutchins and the Egyptian treasure.  Chris would serve as a love interest for Nancy McGowan, who had a brief addiction to Ecstasy during this time.
7. Neal Cory, a never before mentioned nephew of Mac's, would be an undercover agent investigating Carl Hutchins.
8. Michaud Christoph, Daphne Grimaldi (killed by Carl who placed a venomous snake in her bed), Edward Gerard (past love of Felicia), and Daniel Gabriel  in the Le Soleil spa story.
9. The pivotal roles of Sally Frame and Peter Love would be recast with AMC's Taylor Miller and Y & R's Christopher Holder after Mary Page Keller and John Hutton leave.
10. The following long-term characters were written off the show: Brian Bancroft; Sandy, Blaine, Maggie, and Alex Cory; Jamie Frame; and Alice Frame
11. The character of Perry Hutchins died in a fall from the Love stable hayloft when he discovered that Marley had a twin. 

• Members

As you state - the surviving episodes of, at least, ATWT and TGL were in the hands of Soap Classics, who were not only putting out very good DVD compilations, but who were also apparently supposed to be digitizing the P & G soap archive. I assumed at the time that this was being done for future digital distribution of these two soaps. I did not think AW was included initially, however I remember Roger Newcomb (who was helping to compile the releases) had hopes of adding AW down the line.

Unfortunately, no sooner had this project begun, than P & G pulled the license from Soap Classics, took back all of their tapes, and I guess left this project in either permanent limbo or perhaps scrapped altogether? I still don't understand why that happened, especially as is appeared that both the ATWT and TGL compilations were selling well.

I completely agree that there is both an interest as well as an outlet for rebroadcasting these soaps. It just appears that P & G have zero interest, themselves, in doing exactly that.

• Members

I agree that a Rachel/Mac/Alice story could have been a big umbrella story for AW involving many characters taking sides.   It would have been an effective way to revive the Rachel/Alice feud.   Instead, TPTB release Courtney from the show, Rachel regains her memory in a bowling alley hold-up, and later in 1985 Rachel and Mac are poisoned by that deadly dust in that Egyptian urn courtesy of Carl Hutchins.   That storyline was probably one of the worst in AW history, right up there with Lumina.

Please register in order to view this content

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's an idea how the Mike Bauer (now Banning, Meta's stepson) could have been used on AW.

Mike Banning and his young daughter, Hope, come to Bay City following the death of Mike's wife, Julie (Hope's mother). Mike comes to work for John Randolph at his law firm and meets his young wife, Pat Matthews Randolph, and adult daughter from a previous marriage, Lee. Mike gets involved with both women. Pat and Lee both become pregnant. Pat would give birth to a girl, Marianne, who would be passed off as John's. Mike, unaware that he has fathered Pat's baby, is focused on doing the right thing and marrying the pregnant Lee to give their son, Michael (named after Mike of course), a name. 

John recovers and welcomes what he thinks is his daughter, Marianne, while Mike and Lee leave town with Hope and young Michael. Lee dies off-screen before Mike and Hope return to Springfield. Michael attends military school.

In the early eighties, Marianne, who is a Banning, and learns the truth of her biology following the death of John and becomes a rebellious adolescent. She rebels against her family by sleeping with Rachel's son, Jamie, who would be SORAS to 14 around the same time. It is done to preserve the character of Rachel who would be in her early-to-mid thirties by then.

Michael Banning returns to Bay City in the early eighties as an All-American teenager who joins the Bay City teen set with Jamie and Marianne. Michael's secret is that he is gay and falls in love with Jamie, who is unaware of MIchael's intentions since he is involved with Marianne.

The 1970s Michael Randolph (Lionel Johnston) stories could go to Dennis Carrington Wheeler, who would work for his grandfather, Mac Cory as a lawyer fresh out of law school.