Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think this ep is on YouTube, but there's a great one where nasty saucer-eyed Rachel is trying to kick Alissss out of *Steven's* house that Rachel believes he would have wanted Jamie to be raised in. She spits to Alice, "We had a kind of love you'll never know... What son did you ever give him?" Then Liz makes this CLASSIC pained face like "I could just rip tis bitch's face off" and Alice LUNNNGES for Rachel... great stuff.

• Members

TC did you like Clarice later on?

I didn't know that episode from the earlier years was on Youtube. Wyndham was playing Rachel by that time? I'd love to see that. I always thought that one of the reasons the Rachel/Alice rivalry worked was that Robin Strasser was more delicate, yet Rachel was hard, while Jacquie Courtney was butch, yet Alice was sweet.

• Members

Yeah, that was Wyndham in that scene. Maybe it's not on YouTube. It'll be someday. ;) RS and VW both seem like tough ladies but in different ways. RS seems more... "difficult", more apt to snap or complain and rub people the wrong way born out of her perfectionism. VW seems more the type who will turn on a dime and cuss you the [!@#$%^&*] out, shooting you a look like your ass just might get kicked when you're not doing what you're supposed to be doing or you come at her wrong. But to VW's own admission, she stopped caring so much when TIIC stopped caring, she wasn't going to give herself an ulcer over a bunch of dodos who couldn't get their [!@#$%^&*] together. But I think she said that after they lost DW, she got back in touch with her passion to a degree and began to take the work more seriously.

I remember someone at WoST telling a story about VW. The poster worked at an ice cream parlor in RI (?) and VW was a nightmare customer.

• Members

The whole Iris thing with "Daddy" was pretty sick. It would be different if she was in her teens or maybe early 20s, but 35. (And 35 in 1976 was a lot different than it is today. Try like 50 or older.) I'm starting to understand why AW started to take a free-fall in the ratings during this time. Don't get me wrong, I started watching AW in 1979 and enjoyed BM performances, but really.

• Members

Strasser's Rachel was devious, but Wyndham's Rachel was terrifying. She'd flash those eyes and you knew a quake was coming. I missed that aspect of the character when she softened due to Mac's influence. She still had her moments, though -- there's a great YouTube clip in which she berates Carmen Duncan's Iris for doubting Mac's integrity after his death.

That "Daddy" thing was "pretty sick," edgeofnik -- that was the whole point! (Oh, for the days when characters had complex psychological motivations and shades of grey.) And the ratings really began freefalling after BM left to do Texas. She was a huge draw -- and deservedly so.

• Members

I think that's b/c she felt the mantle of elder states-person had been passed down to her, and it was therefore her responsibility to set a sort of example for the newer actors coming aboard. Otherwise, if she had continued not to care at all about the show, ANOTHER WORLD would've been gone much sooner.

• Members

That clip is great. For me, though, it's marred by the fact that Iris would doubt Mac's integrity at all, given how much she adored him when he was still alive. (Another instance when I would have loved to have seen BM's Iris' take on the circumstances, lol.)

Exactly! They don't even have those kinds of characters in primetime anymore. Everything is so spoon-fed to us, b/c the networks have this silly idea that our attention spans cannot take the added "stress" of actually thinking about what we're watching.

Worse, from everything I have read in the past, they changed Iris so much when they spun her off, viewers bailed out of TEXAS, too. A "lose/lose" situation, if ever there was one.

• Members

I had heard Iris became nicer when she went on Texas. Did she have the 'daddy' issues on Texas that she had on AW?

Do you think when Iris came back from 1988-1994 that she gradually got rid of the 'daddy' thing? Do you think Mac's death caused Iris to evolve since daddy wasn't around anymore?