Another World

• Members

That's Audra Lindley, screaming her way through yet another scene. I loved watching her rant and rave.

Virginia Dwyer was brilliant in the episode where Mary finds out about Rachel's baby. It was actually unnerving to watch the character fly off the handle.

And yet, no matter how much Lemay altered and diminished the character of Mary, the audience continued to adore her. The daytime press was awash with complaint letters from AW viewers that year, thanks to the show's axing of Dwyer, Reinholt and Courtney. They lost Susan Sullivan shortly as well, and all the departures left a huge hole on the canvas.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I agree, and I think most other fans would too. We understand if the show has absolutely no choice (for example, when the actress passes away in real life), but if it's TBTB's choice, viewers revolt. I've always felt that Y&R made dreadful mistakes when the show killed off both Jennifer Brooks and then decades later, Liz Foster. John Abbott, too. (We can't forget about beloved patriarchs!)

• Members

Virginia Dwyer certainly did a terrific job of keeping herself hidden, after her departure from AW.  She appeared in one national commercial for Bufferin or Anacin, and then disappeared.  I've never found even one post-AW photograph of the woman.  And that's strange, because she lived in Manhattan for the rest of her life, and was socially active in charities, etc.  But she somehow avoided having her photo taken.  Or at least found a way to keep them off the internet.   

• Members

Lemay was such a weird writer. He did such good things in his writing for both AW and the Matthews family and then seemed to intentionally gut it all by the time he left. All of these soaps seemed to take the same course. AW went from being about the Matthews family to being about Rachel. GL went from being about the Bauer family to being about Reva. ATWT went from being about the Hughes family to being about Carly. AMC went from being about the Martin family to being about Erica. As a person who loves family drama, I never liked that trend. Nor understood it. I guess they were trying to appeal to their largely female audience members who could relate to a central female character. That always made the shows boring to me. What made soaps great was the ensemble aspect of them. Besides, I hated Rachel, Reva, Carly and Erica. 

• Members

Had AW kept the character of Mary alive and active on the show's canvas, Dwyer could have been on the show for its entire 35 year run.  Dwyer passed away in 2012.  The show really could have used a mother figure in its later years after Ada passed away in 1993.  

• Members

I was watching an episode from 1981 where Pat and Olivia are talking about a fundraiser and one of them suggests approaching a station with the call letters WCCB for help with a telethon. A few years later Mac's TV station was KBAY. Even with the Michigan/Illinois confusion I don't think anyone has ever intended to depict Bay City as west of the Mississippi. It never occurred to me before but KBAY is a bit of an anomaly. 

• Members

I'd never thought about that, but I do remember the TV station in later years was KBAY.  It's unfortunate they didn't stick with the Michigan location, and maybe even put it into cannon, rather than the abrupt move to being a suburb of Chicago.  I remember when Reginald Love said he could see the Chicago skyline from the balcony of Tops Restaurant.  Until then, Bay City had never been said to be close to Chicago.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Yes.  During Audra Lindley playing the role of Liz Matthews she destested Jim and his children and frankly could probably care less if Rachel wanted to throw Alice out.  Does anyone recall what Liz and Rachel's relatioship was like when Lindley was playing Liz and Strasser was playing Rachel?  However, I thought I read a snyposis when Daly Took over the role as Liz and Lenore saw her for the first time, Liz attempted to be friendly with her and Lenore would not have it.  Liz mentioned to someone why cant people leave the past behind and more or less stated she was a changed woman.  Maybe at least, he was attempting to show the audience that Liz was a changed woman

• Members

That Alice/Rachel scene at Steve's house..would have been better with Mary instead of Liz.

Lemay hated everything that symbolized soaps..hence his attempt at moving focus away from the Matthew's (a symbol of traditional soap) to the Cory's (his creation).  And his love of theatre actors worked in the short term..but long term it hurt with cast changeovers.

• Members

During the Strasser/Lindley era, Rachel tried her very best to ingratiate herself to Aunt Liz, but Liz never really gave her the time of day.

It is possible that Aunt Liz had mellowed during her time away from Bay City. Her son Bill was dead and she was alienated from her daughter Susan and daughter-in-law Missy, and extreme loneliness can force people into reflection. I just wish we had SEEN more of Liz's transformation, rather than just being asked to accept it after the fact. (Still, Irene Dailey was so brilliant that she could sell us on anything.)

• Members

During Dailey's early months on the show, Liz was still rather nasty and self confident.  She was never quite as villainous as Audra Lindley's Liz, but she wasn't the pathetic lonely woman we saw later.  It wasn't until around the time Mac rejected her romantic interests in favor of Rachel (late-'74?) that Liz started to become more sympathetic. And then after Mary died (April, '75), Liz mellowed a bit more as she assumed a slight motherly role with Pat, Alice, and Russ. As someone else has mentioned, she became less a trouble-maker, and more a meddler.  I wish Lemay had allowed Liz to maintain more of her elitism and fire. I think she would have been more functional as a legacy character in the later years of the show.   

Edited by Neil Johnson