Another World

• Members

There were scenes at Cory Publishing near the end of the show, when Sandra Ferguson returned as Amanda.  She went to work again at Brava magazine, and there was a new set for the Cory Complex.  I remember, because it was much smaller than any of the other sets they had used for the same purpose.   

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I do recall when red headed Amanda was on..that she worked at the paper with Jake.  I.even recall once Sandra F came back as Amanda that she had a scene with Jake where she resigned from the paper to return to Brava.

I'm not sure if it was the writing or an acting choice...but Amanda was kind of ditzy in 1998/9.  And that was vastly different from how Sandra f played her in the late 80s/early 90s.

• Members

Pretty sad considering the Cory Publishing was one of the biggest attractions of the show from the 70's.  I really liked the Michael Liabson really focused on that in the late 80's.  The Office was often almost showed daily with Liz Matthews .  I never saw the last years of AW.  From time to time, if I was home sick from work,  I would tune in and pretty much turn the channel afer a few minutes.  I guess they had to stay with the times of the lunatics of DOOL.  

• Members

The last I remember Cory Publishing was in Summer-Fall 1997 when Amanda was impersonating Hadley Prescott.   There was even a location sequence on the Cory Publishing parking lot involving Carl, Felicia, and Alexander Nikos where Alexander "accidentally" almost ran over Carl with his sports car.

• Members

Laura was on from fall 1996 (I think she came back around Christmas) to early 1998. She was mostly saddled with a lousy "revenge" story where she and Matt (recast with Brian Krause) set Carl up as an adulterer in order to break up his marriage to Rachel. This all annoyed a number of fans as Matt and Amanda had grown to accept the relationship. Michael Malone, then-headwriter, added some of his usual faux-gothic tryhard touches by having Amanda pretend to be the mistress, wearing a short brown wig, calling herself Hadley. She would start to think she actually was Hadley and lose her grip on reality. Once Malone left, all of this was dropped, and Moss was fired a few months later. Moss had a lot of spark and potential and was badly wasted.

Sandra once said in an interview she didn't even really want to go back, so she asked for what she thought were terms too high to be accepted. To her surprise, they were, so she agreed.

• Members

I watched some of the "Hadley" mess on YT. It was one of the most insanely stupid things Malone has ever done, the worst of his pop psych tendencies executed very, very immaturely.

He was also clearly intent on pairing Moss' Amanda with reporter co-worker Jake. I don't know enough about Malone's AW run to know when he abandoned his pairing of his character (I think) Bobby Reno/Shane with Vicky to going back to Jake/Vicky. I assumed that was the network responding to his stories bombing.

• Members

Bobby was one of JFP's last creations, I think (she would later hire RKK on GH). His backstory changed multiple times due to the constant changeover. Malone rewrote his backstory to fit the Southern gothic atmosphere for his soap, 13 Bourbon Street. I'm not sure if he planned to keep Vicky and Bobby/Shane together or if the network pushed for Jake and Vicky. I do remember it seeming very sudden when Vicky actually fell in love with Jake. For a while she seemed to be marrying him just to get away from her feelings for Shane. I think Malone was going to keep that as a messy group (Bobby/Vicky/Lila/Jake/Matt/Amanda - was Amanda still in scenes with Jake by this point?) but he was fired and then so was Moss and RKK (I think Brian Krause was too).

• Members

I know it's not considered the show's best era, but I've really enjoyed the material I've been able to see from L. Virginia Browne's year-long HW stint. The show feels focused, appropriately paced, and still character-driven amongst the changes happening to the genre in the early 80's. Some characters do seem a bit aimless, but this is probably the tightest I think the show's been since Lemay's heyday (I'm not a fan of much of  Donna Swajeski's overrated tenure). 

• Members

Rachel dumped Mac and started dating Mitch

Sandy, and Leigh and Denny Hobson were introduced

Tracy was killed in a car bombing

The mob blew up Cory Publishing

Blaine was put on trial for murder

Jamie married Cecile but she fell for Sandy, Jamie then became a drug addict. She then got pregnant with Maggie

Edited by AbcNbc247