Daytime Roles that should be reacst

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Julie Chandler (AMC) because she is related to everyone on the canvas. Adam, Colby, JR, Scott, Erica, Kendall, Bianca, Palmer, Pete, etc.

ETA: Now that I think about it, Jamie Luner would've been a great Julie Chandler. Didn't she leave to go to law school? And I wouldn't mind if Pratt rewrote her history a little because it's been so long since we've seen her.

• Members

I wouldn't recast these roles, I'd scrap them and bring back bitchy bangs for Rex and if Melissa Fumero isn't available, then recast... (Adrianne Leon would be a fierce Adriana!) Rex needs to find his balls because since they introduced the horrible Gigi character along with her awful son, Rex has been castrated.

VERY MUCH SO! Another wonderful example is the ever disappearing Y&R actress who shall remain nameless.

• Members

On Y&R, without a doubt in my mind, the aforementioned Lily and Colleen...

I was fine with CK when she originated the role, and I was a fan of the Lily/Daniel classic young love tale...but even then I had misgivings about not only the actress but the way in which the role was written...those misgivings intensified during Devon's initial story thanks to one scene between Lily and Neil that has become legendary here in my household of Y&R lovers: the moment when Lily asked Neil something to the effect of why was Devon so angry, and CK, in the ultimate Valley Girl configeration, burst forth with the unforgettable line "Is it because his mom is a CRACKHEAD!?!"

When Sherwood took over, I, as well as all the viewers I know, sat up and paid attention. FINALLY Lily was Dru's daughter! When CK returned, it once again seemed as if the Winters had adopted Lily as well as Devon. I literally feel like vomiting every time Lily appears on screen now!

As for Colleen, in recent weeks Tammin has improved greatly...well at least now with Colleen's new bitchy turn, I have a story-based reason to hate her. However, the characters is simply too important to the canvas and too ripe with dramatic potential to have the role continually watered-down to meet the capabilities of the performer.[

• Members

This is a terrific, terrific summary. And, reading it, it helps describe much of my own feelings.

I was much happier with the current Lily during her first run. As time went on, something was not right.

I was not fond of the actress who replaced CK, because I felt she had significant limitations as a performer. But I would accept another actress in the role who was more authentically like Dru.

• Members

Well, I hate to harp on about it because I do think that Tammin is slooooooooooooowly feeling her way into the role but... Colleen on Y&R? I can't let go of Adrianne Leon's portrayal.

That bitchtastic curvaciousness, going toe-to-toe with Victoria (her stepmom at the time) and Kevin, fiercely loyal to her friends, crazy in love with an older man, crazy in love with her dad. I miss it. I miss her.

And the fact that she was let go because of a little weight gain as a result of a short course of medication? There is a wrong here which has not been righted. I feel like Y&R's audience would have been able to cope with a little poundage (especially given that Colleen is Traci's daughter). The whole thing felt cruel and demeaning, and I wish Y&R would go apologize to Leon and beg her to come back.

As for TS, she is a very pretty girl and it's not her fault for AL's dismissal. But honestly? Tammin should be playing another role on the show. Maybe even a heavily SORASed Abby.

As for Christel Khalil, she isn't Lily anymore. Not saying Davetta is but... CK appears unwilling to play Lily beyond a sweet Valley girl who loves pink and old movies and cute little dogs. That's not acting. That's Christel playing Christel. And, unfortunately, that's not Lily.

As for Amelia Heinle, my problem isn't with her as much as with the character of Smugtoria. Would Heather Tom's return mke a big difference? I don't know anymore.

• Members

Yup, that's about it. It took Leon some time, but she grew into that role...The "curvy" was perfectly realistic for her (and her mother's) backstory. Just---JUST---when she'd clicked in the role, she got replaced. That sucked.

I don't mind Tammin. But I think (and I saw this with the British actress who played Jaime Somers in Bionic Woman last year too)...some of these actresses get so tied up in hiding the accent, they lose the ability to emote. I just watched that same actress (Michelle Ryan?) in Doctor Who...and she was fine.

That's where I am. I initially thought Lily was perfect as the spoiled parisian princess that Drucilla had over-indulged during her single-parent years.

Over time, though, after all the crushing blows life has given Lily, she should either be chronically depressed or fiesty/fiery. (I'd obviously prefer the latter). But none of that comes out.

I contrast her with Cricket. Yes, Cricket. Because Lauralee started all chirpy, but as Cricket evolved, Christine became a d*mn hard, tough, unsmiling woman.

I wouldn't want that for Lily...but I'd like her experiences to play as subtext. And Khalil seems incapable of doing anything but line readings--no subtext.

My problem is with Amelia. I want a take-no-prisoners b!tch who learned at the feet of her father.

This psychologically absent mellow chick just isn't working for me. WAKE UP!

• Members

You know I love DS interpretation, I think she was much more rooted in the role and it was very much moreso authentic that not only was she Dru's daughter but I believed she was Lily as Lily was written (any problems I had with the writing is another story). Her chemistry w/Colleen at the time was very good. Her chemistry with Daniel, Dru, and Devon to me was great. I felt she potrayed her character's relationship with those respective characters very much so better than CK lily (among other things that was better), but I do agree she had areas that could have been improved however I loved her potrayal I'm not sure if there is a bias that comes from seeing the alternative. I think (while there were subtle areas for improvement) she handled the storylines very well. Her rebellious stage w/Dru during and in the aftermath of Lily's true paternity reveal storyline (which I though she did a good job) . When she found out Daniel's role in Kevin schemes, and absolutely loved her during Devon's meningitis storyline (to me she was improving here the most). That's when they made the switch :angry:

• Members

You are so on point with this! I miss Adrianne Leon TERRIBLY in the role of Colleen. So much so, that everytime I see Sursok, I still don't recognize who she's supposed to be even after all this time that she's had in the role and can't help wondering what Leon would be able to do with the material now. What I don't understand is why they are keeping Sursok around? Adrianne was a fierce recast for this role, IMHO.

As for Lily, MarkH said exactly how I feel about this role.

As for Victoria, you said it!

Archived