CBS cancels Guiding Light

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish CBS, well not even CBS, but some US network would pay a flat fee to secure broadcasting rights to a foreign soap that they could air. It wouldn't cost them much, they wouldn't have to pay actors, production costs, or anything really. I think this method should at least be tested out.

• Members

BTW GL fans, if you really want to campaign for GL, then contact your local affiliate. Focus not necessarily on getting GL a new home as much as trying to persuade the local affiliates not to take the show off the schedule prematurely. It happened with Passions. It will happen to GL, mark my words. More than likely, GL will not be saved, but we can at least prevent the local asshats from ending our show before the official finale.

• Members

I think the show was much worse then than it is now. An ending they have now will probably mean a lot more than whatever they were putting viewers through for most of those last few years. If production values meant class, then so many soaps with bigger budgets wouldn't be so vile at the moment.

• Members

ETA: If you want to make a different, contact P&G/Televest/Telenext/whatever, and tell them you want to keep seeing the show. THOSE numbers could help them sell the property to someone else. Contacting CBS and ESPECIALLY their blasted affiliates is blowing in the wind...and not in a good way.

You know what, I hope I'm not banned, but

PISS PISS PISS on the affiliates!

The affiliates are a huge part of why this happened. Let them stop showing the episodes TOMORROW.

We have the internet now. Anyone (in the US) can watch those episodes all they want online. Indeed, if viewers want to send a message, they will TURN OFF THE TV for GL beginning tomorrow. Don't give ANOTHER ratings point to the affiliates. Then, explode the online viewership...to give CBS a clear view of what they have squandered...and to show TeleNext or whatever where the future is.

I am so sick and tired of US broadcast TV. It is an antiquated distribution system that has cost us MILLIONS ("Digital TV converters", anyone?), and now really exists solely for the "emergency broadcast system"...something I think we could handle more efficiently.

Torpedo the affliliates. Let them die. Move the broadcast nets to cable (that is what PBS is positioning itself for right now). Affiliates add so many voices to programming decisions. (Look at all those freaks who censored the Osbornes last night...I don't care a whip about the Osbornes, but affiliates are not a voice for freeedom, free speech, or art).

GL would have lived longer without affiliates...and it would have lived stronger.

Affiliates are MUCH more to blame than Ellen Wheeler ever will be.

Can you tell I loathe the affiliates, and wish for their spontaneous disappearance?

• Members

I think it's too soon for that, though I bet there are quite a few actors and crew who hope to jump ship. Thing is, it didn't go over very well when AW characters crossed over. We ended up with a dead Vicky (even if it was Jensen Buchanan), and a lot of ATWT fans resented the focus on the refugees when the show couldn't get it's own sh!t together... charity begins at home. And with ATWT facing a one year pick up, they REALLY have some serious focusing to do. Whatever the case, it won't be the Revas and the Joshes to crossover, it'll be the younger crowd, though I must say I am wondering about Grant Alexander, i.e., just what was in his contract should GL be canceled. Maybe nothing spectacular, maybe he agreed to just take one for the team.

• Members

That was a very nice blurb. I'm glad JFP made it. Even if she was one of the many, many people and institutions who share the blame of GL's demise

EDIT:

You know, as much as her reputation is sometimes bad, I will never forget the interview where she talked about Maureen's death being one of the biggest mistakes of her career. I don't think I've ever read an executive give that much of a mea culpa.

• Members

Her time at GL was definitely the last time I've seen Jill be happy and proud GENIUNELY to be EP of a show. She was so proud of the work they did there in the early 90's, much like how she was at Santa Barbara. It wasn't until after she left GL did she become more and more "controversial."

Her time at GL was definitely the last time I've seen Jill be happy and proud GENIUNELY to be EP of a show. She was so proud of the work they did there in the early 90's, much like how she was at Santa Barbara. It wasn't until after she left GL did she become more and more "controversial."

• Members

I watched that episode last week on youtube. THAT is drama. It was very down to earth and real.

Now wasn't JFP's GL stint generally very well regarded? And by the bay, the show looked (productionwise) awesome. Go look at the outdoor sets where Maureen's car crashed.. totally Y&R level.

Archived