CBS cancels Guiding Light

• Members

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please times eleventy hundred billion thousand zillion let them replace it with a game show or two. PLEASE. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing worthy of taking GL's place would be a soap or a game show, IMO.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am hoping that GL will have a week of flashbacks, maybe some interviews shot with people like Kevin Bacon, Sherry Stringfield, ect- Just a return of all the amazing actors in some form or another. This show could really go out in a BIG way. People like the woman who played Maureen, the woman who played Annie, EVERYONE- interviews, flashbacks, a true celebration of this show.

• Members

If they do pick up the Sony-produced "$25,000 Pyramid" to replace GL, I wouldn't be surprised to see CBS cancel ATWT and snag DAYS from NBC next year. Since Y&R and DAYS are both also Sony productions, CBS is in a good position to steal it (if it wants it). The demos for DAYS are much better than ATWT's.

• Members

First AW, Now GL. It is seriously like another family member has died. I'm about to just stop watching TV period. AW gone, GL Gone, ATWT will be gone soon, and lets not even start on the primetime series that I have invested my time with and they get cancelled without a fighting chance. 25 good years of memories will never fade though. I hope CBS crumbles after this major F-up. Oh and on a side note if NBC cancels Kings I hope they just fold as a network.

GL4EVER!!!!!

• Members

Pyramid is such a tired show. I hate the way Dick Clark produced awards shows but I think he was the one who really gave Pyramid the energy it had. I'm surprised of all game shows this is the one they're coughing up. I think Password would have been a better choice.

Whatever happens, I see this being the incentive for CBS and the other networks to get rid of most of the other soaps within the next few years. Most of them are too unwatchable and/or overbudget at this point to even put up a fight. The only ones I really think are worth keeping right now are Y&R, OLTL, and maybe DAYS.

• Members

I was hoping for a daytime version of their "Million Dollar Password" from last year. They could keep or get rid of the whole "Million Dollar" angle, but there was enough interest in the first batch of shows that I think it'd translate well for a daytime audience. They'd have to realize that there is absolutely no way to sex-up a remake of a game show from the 50s, 60s, 70s, or 80s, so if they go that direction, they have to know that it's going to skew older.

• Members

I think the revival proved Password still has life left, and I don't think Password needs any specific host, just someone competent (Alan Ludden was the master, but the hosts since him have been respectable). I know MDP was pulled because it skewed too old, but I think at this point any game show in daytime is going to skew older, except maybe Price is Right. I haven't seen their recent demos.

Unless they have some game show version of "Dance Off Pants Off" or some retread of the game shows MTV ran 15-20 years ago than they probably almost have to go with an older-skewing show. I guess as long as it's cheap, they won't care.

• Members

This is sad news indeed.

For so many years GL has given me so many fond memories. From David going on the lamb, to the Springfield blackout, Annie's breakdown on the stand, to Phillip/Olivia/Alan. So many memories.

I'm not going to be sad though after the final episode. I'm going to be proud that from 1937 to 2009 Guiding Light lived a very colorful and drama filled life on both radio and tv.

• Members

There's not much I can add to what's already been said by others. This was my first soap I fell in love with at 11 years old after staying home sick from school one day and watching Mom's "stories" with her.

:(:(:(:(

I loved this show. Not so much recently, but still. No other soap has ever got to my heart like GL has. And I will miss it terribly.

ICAM with Dan. EW and the writers better get to fuckin working and give this show an appropriate, wonderful swan song. If they [!@#$%^&*] this up, then to hell with them.

• Members

Like others have said I just hope if GL is done that the remarkable achievement of this many years of daytime is honored. Not so much of the sneering attitude which I've seen in some places, like that EW article.

Archived