Y&R: Jill To Be Temporarily Recast

• Members

Well Sylph- everyone wants Jess Walton healthy and back as Jill. That being said, this a huge iconic role about to be cast with major story coming up. It is a big deal. I cannot tell from the two people here who are supposedly "in the know" (You and Daytimefan) if the issue is health or contract related. I really wish Jess well and I hope, that if this is a health issue, that she will be fine and back to work soon.

That being said- Victoria Wyndham as Jill. Yuck. That is absolutely horrible to me. I have never been a fan of her acting or her "look". I would rather see someone like Genie Francis who has that earth mother kinda vibe, put on the powersuits and show us what she's got as Jill. All of this talk of Christine Jones- Come on. She is C list in terms of soap actresses and she really has aged. She was on OLTL not that long ago in a one or two day role as well as 4-5 years ago as Pam. She would not be a good temp Jill.

Anna Stuart looks awesome, can play a bitch, and is a great actress. If they go with Victoria Wyndham over her, they are insane

Linda Gray would be awesome. That picture on here is terrible, the woman looks good. She is tall, has very similar looks to Jess, can have her hair colored, and she has some primetime cache.

The temporary recast will probably end up being someone we haven't thought of.

And again- best wishes to Jess

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's also face it: This is a group reaction. This casting announcement is ... unusual. Temp recasts happen often, and the most you get is a little blurb. "Nathaniel Marston needed a few days to deal with a personal issue, so we temp-recast." Or "We couldn't get Kristina Malandro Wagner back for Maxie's heart problems, so we'll bring in Sandra Ferguson for two days". No biggie.

But when you have one of your top-five players, and a high profile, NON-DISGUISED casting announcement...that is different and weird. And it gets the troops thinking...

This is actually the problem with discretion. It creates an information vacuum into which people can plug conjecture and worry... It is actually BETTER to just lay out the facts, balls to the wall, and then everyone can deal with it in the sunlight.

See, for Walton, the speculation can run everywhere from an ingrown toenail or bunion (didn't Marj Dusay have to miss work for that once?) to laryngitis to less easily managed diagnosis. If you lay out the facts, the speculation ends. There must be a way to do that while respecting the actress' privacy and dignity....

• Members

It's human nature to speculate on these things, especially since the announcement was so vague in terms of what is actually happening with Jess. Also, there is very little nowadays in the soaps that kind of throws you for a loop and actually takes you by surprise. Even the Jamie Luner/Liza news was not entirely unexpected, and was tame compared to this. This is a biggie, and of course we're going to dish about it and speculate on replacements.

I only threw out Christine Jones' name because of her past associations with Rauch and her track record of successfully stepping into established roles at the last minute. She was the first person who came to mind when the announcement was made. She can play venomous mixed with vulernability. Anna Stuart and Victoria Wyndham come off as too "to the manor born" and neither has the smoldering sexuality that the role demands. Plus, aren't they NY-based? Would Sony want to spring for their temporary housing while they're in LA? I highly doubt they are going to go with some established prime time actress. Soaps are a whole different animal, and it would be a nightmare to throw someone with no soap experience right into a front burner storyline. Linda Gray is the one exception, I suppose, since she did do B&B, but even there, not much was demanded from her.

• Members

Remember though that Victoria Wyndham has played the poor girl many times in the past and did it very well. Her first big daytime role was as a poor girl from the other side of the tracks on Guiding Light. She played one of the best villians that ever hit daytime there. She was replaced by Melinda Fee on there. Then Rachel started out very poor on Another World. I think Wyndham gets typecast as a rich character due to Rachel's later years.

Also some of the primetime actresses that have been mentioned trained in daytime so they know about the daytime acting struggles. Donna Mills in particular worked in daytime several years before going primetime. She was on The Secret Storm and then one of the leads on Love Is A Many Splendored Thing for several years with Leslie Charleson playing her sister.

Joan Van Ark also started in daytime.

As to Wyndham several boards are reporting that she and Stuart have both flown to LA to meet with Rauch so I don't think it is out of the running that they would move to California for the role. Also remember that Wyndham herself took a temp role on Days a few years and then backed out when she found out it was a publicity thing and she wouldn't have much to do.

But how would they explain Jill suddenly having a British accent.

Archived