Y&R: Jill To Be Temporarily Recast

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any updates? I guess no news is good news, right? Still praying for you Jess!

I don't see Anna Stuart as Jill, there's something about petite Anna and her ethnic looks that's very specific (same goes for Michele Lee). Years before Mary Smythe, Anna was the only daytime actress I could ever come up with as a temp Erica Kane.

Jess's throaty smoker's voice makes it very hard for me to hear another actress as Jill. Claire Malis who still acts in L.A. would have been a good temp Jill for Brenda, but I can't see her as easily standing in for Jess. Speaking of ex-Dorians, maybe Paul Rauch has considered his old pinch hitter Elaine Princi. Diva, yes, but not a Jill.

The craziest idea would be to bring back Joan Van Ark who missed her chance to work with Ted. :P JVA as Jill, Lorrrd...

You know who might be good? Pamela Bellwood from Dynasty, remember her?

• Members

I'd bet money that it's going to be Christine Jones. She's an old pal of Rauch's from AW and OLTL, she's got a history of effortlessly temp-replacing other actresses (Slezak on OLTL and Jane Eliot on GH), and she's in the same age range as Jess and has similar physical qualities. Mark my words :)

• Members

Interesting. I know Christine can play dark and loony, but does she have that Jess fire? The more I think about it, the more I'm brought back to Victoria Wyndham who I so enjoy watching play bug-eyed pissed and nasty. Jill is arguing a lot these days, spitting her words at folks like Nikki, VW is good at that kind of thing, woman on edge.

• Members

I have not looked at all the posts here and this may be posted and I didn't see it.

I was reading on another board that both Anna Stuart and Victoria Wyndham have met with Rauch.

I wouldn't like Stuart as Jill but I would like Victoria.

Another actress I thought about was Julia Barr. I think she would be good.

• Members

Rauch would know Stuart and Wyndham from AW, he's the one who insisted that Donna Love be created for Anna Stuart after she auditioned for the role of Felicia which went to Linda Dano.

Stuart is my choice for a recast. That said, I just want Jess back.

Julia Barr is a good actress...but looks nothing like Jess or any of the previous Jills.

• Members

I don't usually go by looks for the most part on casting except for in the goal of making siblings look like one another as close as possible and stuff like that.

But to me Anna Stuart doesn't resemble Jess or any of the Jill's either. Maybe a little like Deborah Adair but not even really that much.

I don't like Stuart for this role at all. She just doesn't seem like Jill at all to me. Victoria does though.

• Members

Julia Barr wouldn't work...... at least for me, I still am inclined to go with Anna Stuart as well. Whoever it is, she must be experienced and iconic of some sort and able to be Jeanne Cooper's equal, which is probably going to be the hardest task of them all.

• Members

I really don't think this is a "temp" role that's being cast. The way SOD has worded it(and I know they have been accused of sensationalism in the past and still are), makes me believe that they are going to sign this "established actress" to a contract.

An emergency recast, yes, but temp? Why are they going through so much trouble to find the RIGHT Jill, if this were only temporary(say one or two weeks or even a month or two)? Wouldn't any old washed up Hollywood Hag do?

Also, be aware that Rauch(who doesn't let "crap" slide and is "hard") is also the same guy in charge of the Lillian Layman Special, had his hands dirty in the Michael Zaslow firing(although alot of that has to do with MADD), and other things as well.

If it's true that Jess Walton is really as sick as some suggest, I don't see them hiring a temp on a whim. I think they'll definitely sign the "established" actress to a contract. What they may decide to do is sign the actress to a contract, while keeping Jess Walton on contract to see how things go with her recovery(in terms of her health, her looks, etc.). If it takes her longer than 3-6 months to get better, they'll keep the nuJill and announce Jess's "voluntary" retirement with a nice severance package.

I remember reading they did the same thing with Melissa Reeves in SOD when she vacated the role of Jennifer(breaching her contract). They signed Stephanie Cameron to a three year deal, while telling those in the press that the door was open for her return.

I know this is mere speculation and I'm not trying to feed into fears, but I just think you guys should be prepared for the worst case scenario. I hope it's just pneumonia or a misdiagnosed hot flash. I want Jess Walton to be well and back on our screens soon.

• Members

We don't even know what Jess' condition is at this point. I think they want an experienced actress to step in for her because not just anybody can be Jill at this point. Just like not any actress can step in for Lucci, Sleazk, Strasser, Hall (when she had a job), or Zimmer. Some roles are very hard to recast. This isn't the same as it was 22 years ago when Walton took over from Dickson. Since Jill is so frontburner right now, they probably want someone who the audience can accept for a short while until Walton is back on her feet. And like you said in terms of preparing for the worst. If Jess can't come back due to her health (which hopefully she will be back soon) they probably want a strong actress to take over, in the worst case scenario. If they just cast a so so actress to fill in for her and Jess can't return, they have to find a new stronger replacement. You can't just have anyone play Jill.

• Members

The contract is likely a technicality. They can sign whoever they like to a contract and can her after 13 weeks...but I agree with you, this isn't a two week recast. This could be a 6 month recast or a permanent one depending on how things go. I think they want an established actress because what's coming up for Jill is big stuff that can't be screwed up. They also know they have to have someone who can be as good as Jess/up to par with Jeanne Cooper and MTS.

I do not believe that Rauch would fire Jess Walton. Rauch likes Jess Walton personally, he's known her a long time. Furthermore, the Bells would protect her from Sony's corporate clutches. She and Don Diamont are not in the same league in that regard.

Overall, I just hope this is short lived and that Jess is back and better than ever.

I'll just add that I hope I and the other poster who has the same information I do are 100% wrong, I don't want anyone to get the impression that I am in any way happy to have the information I do.

• Members

I never said I knew. It was just speculation.

Maybe they do want someone who "isn't just anyone" taking over the role of Jill. But what's with the hush-hush about it if this weren't a serious condition? The ABC shows have temps fill in all the time, but there's never this much secrecy around it.

Or maybe it was a slow news day at Digest. Who knows?

Archived