AMC: Jamie Luner In As Liza

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pratt apparently wanted her to play Skye, but Frons nixed the idea. Surprising, since Frons never seemed to do right by Robin Christopher, but then she was the "good soldier." She never complained in the press, she eschewed fan clubs and wouldn't even allow anyone to set up an "official website" for her (which probably hurt her in the long run, although there is something to be said about not "using" your fans as so many soap stars do, either for leverage, appearance $$$, or pyramid schemes, lol). And I have to think that ABC's official statement that there was an "open door" for her to return as Skye when she left GH, while likely a crock, would really have proven disingenuous had they recast her role.

So Liza it is.

• Members

Actually, Christopher played Skye on AMC for a few episodes in 2000. But I don't think that's an issue, either. I have no idea why Frons nixed the idea, only that he did, and I speculated why he might have. Plus, there's probably an assumption that there is a great deal of crossover in ABC soap viewers, so many AMC viewers have seen Skye on either OLTL or GH over the last 11 yeasr. Still, as I said, I suspect it had more to do with what I posted above than anything else.

• Members

But considering Skye crossed over to the other ABC soaps in the form of Robin Christopher, if Sky were to return to AMC but not with RC in the role, then it would be a slap in the face to many fans as well as to Robin Christopher. It's only been like, a year since RC left GH as Skye?

• Members

I can understand the skepticism of saying "oh, I just think she'll be wrong for the part." But all this "she looks too young" stuff? Have the people making these comments ever actually seen Jamie Luner?

No offense to her, but this woman has not "looked too young" for anything in her life. If she actually ends up "looking too young" to play Liza once on-screen, certainly a little nip/tuck/botox/collagen will have been involved.

• Members

Lol. I understand where you're coming from, Jonathan. Although I think RC defines the role of Skye, I think you're right in that an AMC viewer who never watched Skye on OLTL or GH would likely have no problem seeing Skye recast, especially those who didn't watch her on AMC in the first place, or we're too young to see her in the role (pretty much anyone born after 1980; she left AMC originally in 1991, and I would think 11 would be the minimum for someone to be "attached" to her playing the role). Plus, there are always those who liked Genzel enough as Skye, or even those who would be willing to see someone else tackle the part.

And frankly, that's why I was surprised to find out that it was Brian Frons who put the kibosh on Luner playing Skye, because I would think he would apply your logic to the situation. That's why I was trying to speculate about his reasoning, and the points I made above were just me trying to figure out what made him decide against it. Since he has no problem replacing Marcy Walker (who played Liza on AMC much more recently than RC played Skye on that show), I really believe he likely nixed it for the reasons I stated above.

But....it's just speculation. We may never know for sure why the recast of Skye wasn't approved, so you're guess is as good as mine.

• Members

The moment Frons replaced Angie Shapiro, Marcy Walker saw her role on the show drastically diminish. It was kind of shocking, since from what I heard, Frons and Marcy were friends since he was with NBC while she was a huge star on Santa Barbara. My guess is that he saw her as too matronly and not attractive and sexy enough. Rayfield and Cascio wrote absolutely nothing for her, except to make her the Fusion den mother. McT tried to revisit the Tad/Liza thing, but it was obvious that Frons' agenda was to pair Michael E Knight with Bobbie Eakes.

• Members

I think by that time Liza's character had been locked in and needed to reinvigorated by a short departure and then come back. Too bad that it didn't happen while Marcy was still available.

I'll tell you except for Marcy being off my TV I was not disappointed by the departure of Liza. I missed Marcy but not Liza.

Liza had been so ruined and was so boring for the last few years even before Frons got there. I just didn't enjoy the character at all. It had just gotten so boring to watch her and Adam fight over Colby.

I am looking forward to a stronger Liza - just wish it was with Marcy - but I am one who is willing to give Luner a chance before I write her off.

• Members

:) I really like this post and completely echo your sentiments. I won't deny that Liza mostly turned into dishwater in her last few years on the show. The only scenes where the old Liza came through were with David & JR. It wasn't any fun to watch her battles with Krystal because it wasn't a fair fight- KWAK was so obviously the character TPTB were invested in. I really felt for Marcy ever since the original Mia story, and the brain tumor, etc.... But because of all this, I didn't miss Liza as much as seeing Marcy on my screen, something I miss to this day (duh! :P ) .

• Members

It was definitely Frons who marginalized Liza. Frons replaced Angela Shapiro in August 2002, and Bobbi Eakes didn't arrive on AMC until 2003 (she was one of Frons' "steals" from CBS). Her arrival was the beginning of the end for MW's Liza, and it was all due to Frons, nobody else. Frons became the only ABC daytime president in history to exert complete dictatorship over the actors who would be featured (and the storylines featured) over all three ABC shows. Never in history was ABC daytime so bound to one person's "vision" than it's been under Frons....and frankly, he's destroyed the genre on ABC. When they write the epitaph for soap operas, he will warrant special mention as the key destructive influence on the ABC soaps., mainly through his own influence, but also through the other misogynist influences of Bob Guza and Chuck Pratt. Why a "female" dominated medium was turned over to misogynist idiots like Frons, Guza, and Pratt is something I will never undertand. But I do understand it has hastened the genre's demise.

• Members

This is Luner in a 2005 TV movie.... and wearing a blonde wig.

177436_1.jpg

Not even four years ago did she "look too young" for Liza! ;)

I'm not campaigning for her; heck, I thought she completely bombed as a replacement on Profiler. But I won't completely write her off as unacceptable - - and I believe we can totally put the age / appearance thing aside.

I'm at least curious to see how she plays the role. And that's a good thing, considering how much my interest has overall waned recently with All My Children.

• Members

She'll probably go lighter so that the physical transition is smoother, but I don't think Luner would ever go outright blonde (the wig you see in the pic was for a plot point in the movie, from what I read). She has gone toward Golden or Strawberry Blonde in the past - and the "lighter red" look does suit her. I figure that's the look what we'll be seeing.

I hope she moves far away from the deep auburn she's sported in other recent pics. It clashes with her complexion, instead of complimenting it.

Archived