DAYS: Discussion for the month of March

• Members

I have to say that although we definitely see fewer sets, the ones we DO see are all great and there are just enough of them that it is somewhat realistic in terms of the characters moving from place to place. I agree that many of the sets, though reconfigured, are permanent now, which saves the show a heap of money.

So far, the writing is consistent. It's not brilliant by any means, but it's consistently entertaining. I don't get bored with the show, the episodes aren't duds, they have movement. Arianne Zuker and Lauren Koslow are a treat to watch, both of them have been given great material to play with. The same goes for Suzanne Rogers, although not driving story, her presence is wonderful and the most influential it's been in years.

I do have sympathy for Peter Reckell and Kristian Alfonso though, they're the last of the supercouples and it's evident that, for whatever reason (likely financial) they'll never be the 'stars' they once were...but then who knows, the focus does change and they both might be on vacation...Abe and Lexie could use some story, but again, I think DAYS' focus on really 3 storylines at a time helps to keep the show focused and allow for interactions by most of the cast.

Really, this is the most balanced DAYS has been in 15 years if you ask me. I think Cat nailed it, in order to move forward, DAYS has had to shed much of its past. John, Marlena, Patch and Kayla were all big reminders of the 80s, they ceased to be relevant and writing for the four of them held the show back.

I'm not saying DAYS is awesome, nor am I saying it is in the same universe as Y&R (or B&B for that matter) but it's very entertaining, which I can't say for the rest of daytime.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DaytimeFan said it best.

I will also add that Jay Kenneth Johnson melts my TV screen everytime he is on.

And Lauren Koslow and Arianne Zucker = goddesses. I know it is heresy to say but... I haven't missed Sami much during her "maternity leave."

NuWill = Zac Efron without the dancing.

• Members

DAYS is so entertaining right now, I'm honestly having trouble flipping between Y&R and Days at the same time because I don't want to miss anything. I haven't had a hard time making that decision in years honestly...

I do feel bad for Bo and Hope though as I really have no idea what's left for them to do at this point to keep the marriage interesting...and as was pointed out earlier they're from the supercouple era so any other romantic pairings I really just don't see working for either character at this point.

• Members

While I do love Arianne Zucker, I am getting tired of Nicole and this baby crap. Not only am I really confused as to who and what I'm supposed to root for here (Ej/Sami? Rafe/Sami? Nicole/Brady?), but Nicole's character is so cruel and deliberately menacing (even to strangers) that there is this feeling of uneasiness every time I see her seemingly get the better of everybody. It's not fun or exciting, as in when Kristen was being all desperate with that *Elvis* baby drama many years ago (from which this story is eerily similar), at least Kristen was still somewhat likable. At least Marlena was no shrinking violet and held her ground. Sami just seems to let Nicole run all over and upset her, which is not the Sami I am used to. I wouldn't mind this story coming to some sort of abrupt end.

• Administrator

I agree. They need to make Nicole more fun. Give her back her humour and make her a little more crazy/campy. Even though I like most of the structure of this story, the problem I have is what happens when the secret comes out. Cause like you, who I'm I suppose to root for? Who is suppose to "get together" once the secret is out. I've had this problem since the story started and Jdawg and I talked about this a few months back - I guess the rooting value is suppose to be Sami/Cydney, but Sami's not in pain or suffering, so right now there's not really a big emotional reunion. Right now, there's just one rooting factor - Nicole to get busted. If there was a rooting value for a couple, this story would be very close to Reilly-1 and it doesn't get better than that for me. Cause there would be a rooting value trifecta - Nicole getting busted, the reunion of the couple, the reunion of child/mother. But there's still a lot of story, so we'll see how it plays out. Other than that, this is the best story on DAYS right now.

Today's ending was really good with Mia on a plane back to Salem, while Kate is on a plane to Las Vegas - both are on a mission. I love it. This is how you end episodes - to make people wanting to see the next episode. This never happened under Higley before Tomlin/Whitesell arrived.

She's getting a lot of help that's for sure and you could tell not every thing is her doing. I'm convinced the structure is all Tomlin/Whitesell. The show is very tight right now and there's a vision - a couple reasons why it's pretty good.

• Members

I love that the show is telling me what couple to root for. It really could go anyway between sami/rafe, sami/ej, ej/nicole, nicole/brady, chloe/lucas, chloe/daniel, etc... And as someone who honestly likes all the above couples, im loving the way it has been handled. No one is really good or bad, all shades of gray.

• Members

I also agree that I'd like a little bit more of fun Nicole back. Ari has handled the transition into show lead very well imo but I still want some of what made Nicole one of my favorites back in the day...Sadly with two new-borns I don't think we'll be getting a drunken Sami/Nicole showdown which I used to looooove.

• Members

LOL at Kate in her fur coat, stuck in economy and bitching about Chloe to the school administrator from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Speaking of Chloe... Holy Mystic Tan! :o I don't know whether it is the lighting on NBC soaps but everybody on Days looks like they got dipped in a giant vat of orange Fanta.

Oy. This Melanie chick is Days' worst and most annoying actress. By far. At least Charity Rahmer was fun to watch. Watching this child gurn and try to out-ham Queen Thaao is just excrutiating. Darin Brooks shows her up badly as well.

Kiriakis vs. DiMera... Victor, Bo, Philip and Brady all in scenes together. Awesome. I loved seeing a glimpse of wily old Stefano on Monday, too.

• Administrator

Yup. Another great ending today with Nicole/Tony. But I had to laugh at how Mia just told Tony the truth just like that...but I understand why since they wanted to move the plot along and it's a way for

Archived