AMC: Monday, January 19th, 2009

• Members

I haven't been to that many boards because I can't take some of the excuses. But it just amazes me to see folks who don't see how people are thinking that Zach did it on purpose. And the ones that think this is some big romantic gesture on Zach's part.

To me that is worse than the women and girls who were hollering for Luke Spencer to rape them back in the 80's. I mean if people think this was romantic what does that say about them and Lord help them if they take it so literally and never find someone who would be willing to kill to save them.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can understand the reaction. Zach killed Josh for Kendall. The show presented this as something viewers could see as acceptable if that's what they wanted. Back in the day, GH presented Luke's rape of Laura as seduction. I was more bothered by the people who yelled "Rape me, Todd!" to Roger Howarth, since at the time, Marty's gang rape was not presented as anything but violence.

As a doctor, David would almost have to be horrified by Zach's behavior today.

As a man, David would probably justify doing the same or worse.

I'm slightly surprised we didn't have a scene of him saying he'd have done the same for Babe.

• Members

IMO Zach has been on extended stay since 2004, the character has no reason to be on this show. His one and only attachment was to Kendell via marriage but then in 2007 and 2008 the writers had to attach him permantely to the Kanes via procreation and now Zach is stuck there for no real reason. I've said this before and I'll say it again Kendell has lost so much of herself since this "relationship" with Zach started so much so that she isn't even the same character and doesn't even marginally represent the character that once was back in 2002 some seven years ago. It's like someone has lobodomized her to the point where Kendell doesn't even exist anymore, I haven't seen Kendell as an entity on this show since Kethan. Kendell needs to get away from Zach and salvage her character. Zach was always more or less spare change that could be dropped on the street as far as I am concerned however it makes it so much harder to phase him out and pretend like he never existed (like what should of happended a long time ago) now that he has two children.

• Members

God, I don't even know what I feel. :(

This was one of those things I had to see to feel. I needed to watch it happen, watch him die, watch it all finally...end, but never really be over. Maybe now I can finally let go of all of this. AMC will pretend he ever existed, I'll do the same and let go once and for all.

I was shocked by Zach, and more then a little put off. When David seems horrified...you know it's a little much. I liked David being softer, and more feeling. And I loved that he wasn't pressuring Erica, like the spoilers made it sound. I loved his honesty with her, as well as Angie's.

Susan's acting was kind of puzzling to me. Usually when she does the quiet, more nuanced thing, she hits it out of the ball park. It was kinda like she didn't quite connect to Josh's loss, if that makes sense. Like Erica felt it, but didn't really know or understand what she was meant to feel. It was odd, and IMO, kind of fitting.

I thought Vincent, Debbie did a great job too. I actually felt their pain, and like they really cared that Erica was hurting.

In a lot of ways, I'm glad it's over. And in other ways, it hurts as much today as it did the day they made him the unabortion.

• Members

I haven't watched yet, but great observations! I wasn't sure since you were so against it all if you would watch, but I am glad you did so we could get your input!

Susan I think then interpreted it well then! Can't wait to watch for myself.

• Members

It was one of those things, you know. I had to see it with my own eyes. It was strangely cathartic.

I really do think Susan gave a great performance, don't get me wrong. It was more that she felt a million different things, and nothing, all at the same time. Like this was a loss she didn't know how to handle. If it had been Kendall or Bianca we know how she'd feel and how she'd react. But this was something else. She was almost...lost. My heart broke for her, despite my feelings for Josh.

It never had to be like this, though. :(

• Members

I forgot to mention that I liked Angie and Erica interacted. Ive wanted to see them have a scene since Angie returned and they did today. It was nothing big but these are 2 of my favorite actresses on the show but their characters have absolutely nothing to do with each other so there hasnt been many oppurtunties for them to interact

• Members

Haven't posted in the AMC threads in a while, I've been busy and haven't had much time too watch and I had to catch up.

I completely agree with you all about Zach. We all knew that he's an ass - but he just proved it today. I realize that wants to save Kendall no matter what it takes - but he's gone too far. He has some nerve to stand in front of Erica and Bianca and act like Josh was nothing to them. It's sad that the main reason he shot Josh is probably because he had his eye on his heart, not because he wanted to save Reese or everybody else in the room.

• Members

I enjoyed when Jesse and her shared a brief scene the other day too.... reminds me of the old days when characters in complete different orbits would occasionally cross paths..... more of a sense of community.

Erica and Angie could never really be friends.... two completely different characters.

• Members

It's no secret that i like Josh (despite his creation) and hated this direction but really... maybe have him back for more than 2 and a half episodes and explore this new storyline ro direction so it doesn't just feel like a random shock story change with no basis in the character... And why was Josh so cold to Bianca? I thought he liked her arguably even more than Kendall?

I DID like Erica's stuff and reaction and scenes with braindead Josh and the end montage (though I hated that lame song they played for it). And I found the rest of the show fun and more than watchable--so I haven't written Pratt off yet, but... I hope they play up Erica's reaction to Zach for a while thanks to this.

• Members

I like Thorston and I like Zach when he's not on every day but I think this is fairly true to his character--I mean remember when he came on--how insensitive he was to his son Ethan for crying out loud. What I object to more than turning Zach into such a ruthless man is the character change for Josh and having him return all of a sudden and within a day be dead.

Archived