The Politics Thread

• Members

I have lady friends who have registered to vote for the first time, or are voting for the first time in years. The irony.....that women who he treats like utter trash is going to show him and the world who REALLY has the voting power in this country. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Amen. I really believe this is the year of the woman when it comes to voting. The early voting numbers are encouraging. I think Michelle Obama's speech along with HRC taking a strong position on pro choice at the debate really resonated with women. People want to diminish our voices. Let them try to silence the silent majority at the voting booth.

• Members

Is it true that during today's speech Trump claimed that he intends to get reimbursement from Mexico after U.S. taxpayers pay for his Wall?!  Who's stupid enough to believe that?! The Mexican President already said he's not paying for that stupid wall.:rolleyes:  Ask Trump's unpaid vendors about how good a promise to get paid back is worth.

• Members

Early voting starts tomorrow in Illinois and I plan on voting tomorrow. Despite the multitude of problems Illinois has, voting is not one. I am proud to say we have one of the most progressive voting registration and voting process in the country. Starting during primary season, we actually have same day registration, meaning you can register and vote on the same day including election day. My neighbor is an election judge and was in charge of registrations at her polling site in the primary and said that they had about 200 people who registered on election day. And it was bumpy as expected considering it is Illinois and it was the initial rollout. Hopefully it goes much smoother once general election voting starts, but there has also been a huge voter registration effort in Cook County and the Rockford and Springfield areas. Also oddly Bloomington-Normal in the center of the state(which is normally GOP) except this pocket is a college town and with State Farm's corporate HQ there, a lot of young urban professionals.

When I see the lines in places like North Carolina it makes me almost cry but I can't be prouder of people willing to give up so much of their time to ensure that their vote matters.

• Members

Early voting actually started on Sept 29th but there were a limited number of sites open. Tomorrow starts widespread early voting. Normally 9 to 12 and 1 to 4 on weekdays and I believe 9 to 1 on Saturdays. Early voting is supposed to go until Nov 7th.

Just to note as I was browsing it seems some locations have different hours and dates. But I think it you use this search engine you will find multiple sites close to you and then you can decide which works best for your timetable. Some are open for a week where others are open until Nov 7th with longer hours also

Here is the site where you can locate an early voting location close to you.

http://www.elections.il.gov/VotingINformation/EarlyVotingLocations.aspx 

Hope this helps

Thanks. I'm not a big Cubs fan but as a resident of Chicago you can't help but get caught up in the excitement. And it's a grateful distraction from the election crap.

Edited by JaneAusten