The Politics Thread

• Members

He would have embarassed himself tragically and ended his entire career in shame and taking Hillary down at the same exact time....I'm so glad he decided against. We won't even get into what a liability his mouth would have been.

Sanders is just the candidate for the upper white liberals in NH and Vermont. In the diverse parts of America, Hillary will sweep the board. 

Thank God that nitwit Lincoln Chafe dropped out. His entire goal was just to shade Clinton over Iraq and the emails. He might as well have ran as a Republican.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Bernie Sanders has a lot of important things to say, or rather to ask.   Why is it everyone in the west except Americans get family vacation and socialized medicine?   Why wre we second class citizens of the world while billionaires get lower and lower tax rates?   I know these questions are deemed unamerican by the media or laughed at, but nobody ever bothers to answer Bernie.  If people would vote for Bernie then he would be electable, but the whole self fulfilling prophesy of he can't win will see to it he can't win.  

• Members

Lindsey Graham has a wah-wah. I can't believe he actually thought he ever had a chance. The only reason anyone even knows him is because of closet case speculation.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/lindsey-graham-ben-carson-kill-someone

Another wah-wah, sadly from someone who likely will get the nomination, because the press adores him. Media darling Marco doesn't bother to vote because he hates the Senate. And votes are pointless anyway, amiritie? I guess in Florida they really are.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/marco-rubio-hates-senate

Not even bothering with the usual wah-wah from Carson and Trump, as they have no real shot of winning anyway, when it gets down to crunch time, but this did make me laugh.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-not-easy-million-dollars

• Members

If I were a minority, poor or lower middle class I would vote for Bernie.  He'd try to do more for people in that position than Hillary ever will. Bill Clinton's welfare reform certainly did the poor no favors. However, I'm not in that position, so I"ll vote for Hillary.

Also, I'm not in favor of a free college education for everyone. I think that has negative unintended consequences that I wouldn't want to see come about in the US. Although, now that people are being overwhelmed with college debt, maybe it would be better if only really good students get to go to college. I don't know, but I don't love the idea. 

• Members

As a minority I think Bernie's positions are just more welfare for everyone and ultimately will just drive us further into debt. His tax plans are ridiculous.

At a certain point I think all these government handouts have to stop. I wish the Iowa caucuses were a month away from instead of 3 but I'm hopefully Hillary will continue this strong momentum. In the end she's only Democratic candidate who has a shot at winning.

• Members

I don't think that many 'minorities' (man, that word rubs me the wrong way!) believe that a Sanders administration would get most of his campaign proposals accomplished.  Obama got a surprising amount of his campaign promises accomplished but some important ones like the closing of Guantamo prisons, have yet to be completed.  Obama had many moderate, middle of the road proposals and was fought tooth and nail on most of them-- Bernie's proposals are considered much more radical and many believe, unachievable.

Also, Bernie's past votes concerning gun control irks many minorities that tend to be in favor of gun control as random gun violence tends to hit the inner cities very hard.  Bernie's equivocations on previous votes causes many  minority voters to give him the side eye.

As for the concept that college is only for some (presumably based on your ability to pay), I find that personally insulting.  I came from what one might call a working class background.  I was considered a low income student and I graduated (on time, which quite a few of my wealthier colleagues did not do) from what some might consider an elite college with a 4.0 GPA.  I also went to Grad school (where my only struggle was financial) and graduated with a 3.9 GPA.  Lack of financial funds has nothing to do with academic worthiness.:rolleyes:

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I completely agree and I hope that wasn't the message my comment was sending towards you. I just think college is an investment and shouldn't just be totally free. It should be designed to be as affordable as possible and i think kids who are in college should be working a little bit to fund their education or do something in some way that helps contribute to the bottom line. Even if its just paying for the damn books and all.

But to say that every kid should go to college for free is just the height of lunacy and one of many reasons why I can't take him or his supporters seriously. And yeah I don't like lumping all the groups together as "the minorities" either. Everyone is different and not everyone in a certain group feels the same way.

• Members

I appreciate you clarifying your thoughts :)

I am defensive on the matter whenever the issue is raised and the academic vs. vocational training and how politicians, mostly Republican but an increasing number of Democrats seem to equate the option to do either with one's finances.  It's also as a result of personal experience of having a teacher actually tell me I was too poor to go to one seemingly out of reach school (he never mention my grades) or people hearing where I grew up and saying things like "Oh but you're so articulate".  Once I even had someone look at my resume and say "You went to two really good schools" with a raised eyebrow and a shocked expression.  I get weary when I even get an inkling that the conversation even appears to veer in that direction but I understand what you're saying here.

I have friends who have their degrees but later decided to do a trade because that's what spoke to them as their career.  Some became midwives, carpenters, farmers. I also think that the reverse should also be an option.  That someone headed for trade school or has a trade and wants to engage in an academic path, they should have that option.

In terms of affordability, I think there is a problem with how the highest tenured professors are paid.  You have presidents of Universities who have over a $1 million per year, while the adjunct professors are taking extra jobs to make ends meet, some who pre-ACA didn't have health care.  One University was financing 2nd homes (with extremely favorable interest rates) of some of their Deans and department heads.  Who is paying for all this, is what I'd like to know?  Is there a connection between tuition rates and soaring salaries for those at the very top of the college/university administration?    Many Ivy league schools have huge endowments funded by wealthy alumni but many state and private do not, yet still pay their top level staff at rates that might make some executives envious.  And they use the same excuse that Wall Street uses, that they must pay their best to keep them.  And let's not get into the schools that expect every student to fund the sports program even if many of the athletes are academic failures.  I just wish there were more inspection of how schools are spending the money to see if it is being spent/distributed fairly and wisely.  We might see some ways in which expenditures could be brought down (maybe don't finance a star professor's entire sabbatical) and tuition made more reasonable.

I don't see how free tuition is sustainable.  Even in the U.K. where tuition was once free of cost, has had to introduce some type of fee based system.  Probably fairly modest compared to the ballooning costs of the U.S. model.  And the soaring costs in the U.S. wouldn't be so horrendous if every student that graduated had full employment, which we know is not happening.  Obama tried to tie school ratings to things like on time graduation rates, employment rates of graduates as well as starting and career long salaries of graduates but the collection of schools that make up the Higher Education consortium balked and protested until Obama caved and left off some criteria from the rankings.  U.S. News & World Report will still be the dominant published guide for choosing schools, I guess.  I just happen to think how the colleges and universities are structured financial is a big part of the problem.  

• Members

The "liberal" media in a nutshell - a moderator apologizes for getting the facts right, because she's too damn stupid to even know she'd gotten them right.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-mark-zuckerberg

I did laugh at this from Hillary.

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2015/10/28/hillary-clinton-gop-debate/

• Members

More wet kisses for the media darling. I haven't seen The Fix get this gushy since their favorite "T-Paw," whom they spent years and years and years fluffling for. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/has-the-marco-moment-arrived/2015/10/29/762a6a1e-7e35-11e5-beba-927fd8634498_story.html?tid=pm_politics_pop_b

The media will work a full court press to get him elected, especially against their old foe Hillary. We're just getting started. 

The ratings weren't that great, which is what a trash network like CNBC deserves.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2015/10/preliminary-cnbc-debate-ratings-fall-short-of-fox-and-cnn-215345

• Members

Marco Rubio was okay, I found the whole outrage at the moderators pretty fabricated.   Chris Christie is boring and one dimensional with his perpetually annoyed shtick.  I didn't find the moderators rude.   They weren't particularly great but they weren't anti-candidates.  That network had no business hosting the debate but at least they sounded like they new what they were talking about when it came to Wall Street questions.