The Politics Thread

• Members

I watched Jon Stewart's post-debate monologue last night. What a mistake! He's horrible.  He spent the entire time making fun of Biden's age, and said nothing about the horrible racist things Trump said. (Trump used words about immigration but it was just blatant racism).  Jon Stewart didn't call that out.  Just awful.

Edited by janea4old

• Replies 42.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Stewart has always been the king of "both sides...but Democrats are worse." I'm seeing a lot of oh he was so honest and brave and people were mean to him. There's nothing brave about that level of nihilism. It's the most basic of viewpoints.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The soundbite and image performance stuff is all so many are talking about.  Instead of what the candidates actually said. 

Bide was sick and he stutters. He still showed up.  What he stands for matters.

This should be about human rights and saving the planet, not a Hollywood audition.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Thanks Carl. I don't think either of these guys have dementia. It seems like normal cognitive decline to me, but what do I know? I'm not a doctor. Last night was bad though. When tried and true democrats like Maria Shriver is admitting there is an issue, I think there is.

There is nothing in this world that would make me vote for Trump though. If I knew Biden had dementia, I would still vote for him. I would rather have someone with a good heart and a failing mind in office than a man who has shown us that he is pure, shameless evil.

Two weeks ago I was blissfully unaware that Trump even had a chance. I really did just opt out for awhile. I do know that the far left is threatening to vote Trump again just to give the rest of us the finger. I'll never understand it.

• Members

I don't really know whether they have dementia - many love to diagnose for their own agenda. I remember people claiming Hillary was going to die at any moment in 2016. I do think there's a case for Trump having it, but clearly that doesn't matter to the public.

Many on the left love Trump because he says what many of them feel (especially the racism), and they can claim he's "funny" and "real." They spent his first term insisting he'd win in a landslide if Bernie wasn't the nominee and spilling all of his talking points. 10/7 is just the excuse they needed.

There's nothing that would ever make me vote for Trump, but unfortunately so many are either amnesiac or just so pumped with self-loathing they are willing to destroy this country because of prefab lines about "I'll take mean tweets for cheap gas." 

• Members

Meanwhile, in the election campaign on the other side of the Atlantic, current PM Rishi Sunak, who once said he was proud to be the first PM of Asian heritage and even prouder that it’s “no big deal” is getting a rude awakening, courtesy of a man campaigning on behalf of Nigel Farage’s “Reform” Party, as demonstrated by an undercover report from Channel 4 News.

• Members

I am disgusted by the videos and memes and the way they are trying to spin everything. EVEN IF... there was the problem they are all talking about, which I DO NOT think there is, it's so DISGUSTING to make fun things like this. They all will be 80 one day and they should pray they are in the condition this man is. 

I am literally to the point I want to block couple of people on facebook. 

I didn't know so many people wanted CHAOS in this world. What will happen if you know who... gets his way. I am disappointed by humans once again.

• Members

It's interesting how those undecided Latino voters on Univision went after the debate.  Most of them agreed Biden was shaky but they actually listened to what the candidates were saying or maybe since English was not their native language(they were polled by an analyst they were interviewed by in Spanish) they might have read the answers. Most of them though Trump was lying non stop and was unhinged while they admitted Biden was shaky but felt his responses better lined up with issues they supported. The majority of undecideds there swung to Biden.

It makes me wonder how many minorities were unchanged or did the same.  I wonder do many of these folks maybe see themselves in Biden as the underdog and having been targeted.  There is no question in my mind that while I believe Biden has slipped yes, that how Trump comes across and belligerent, self absorbed, and unhinged doesn't sit well with these populations. He sounds so much like the bigots of the past and present blaming all problems on everyone but him.  It's not a shock to me seeing white democrats whine and fold and demand Biden step aside.  And it's not a shock to see social media celebrate the fact that "Trump won". He clearly didn't. I would say neither won

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I will parrot that McCain republican I saw interviewed that was part of a focus group after the debate. Biden could be in a coffin(sorry for saying this) but I'd still vote for him.

And what hypocrites the press has become even more. When Bill Clinton was impeached, almost every paper in the country called for him to resign.  When Trump was impeached the first time, only one paper called for it.  And now the NY Times Editorial Board, the elites that they are, too stupid to know how no matter how much they lap up to Trump, he'd go after them also as president, come out telling Biden to step aside.  I finally cancelled my final subscription which was only to the games section.  I'll miss Wordle, the mini crossword, and regular crossword, but there are more important things.

• Members

I deactivated my FB page yesterday. Watching my friends on the left attack Biden gave me flashbacks to watching my white friends from high school support Trump. I've lost so much respect for many of the people on my friends list over the last couple of years - especially after 10/7 - but this was the last straw. The cowardice and bigotry (ageism & ableism are bigotry) from people I thought highly of has been disgusting. I may return to the platform after the election but for now, I'm out.

• Members

For all the bluster, it appears that the debate issues have barely moved the needle as far as polling goes.

The reality is, Joe will be the Dem candidate, and Trump will be the GOP pick.

So? Pick the old man that has slowed but cares about democracy - or the old man felon.

Because that is the binary choice, like it or not.

On another topic, at least SCOTUS did one thing correctly and declined to save the Great Unwashed Steve Bannon from a 4-month prison stint [and NOT in a Club Fed since he has other criminal issues in play!]. He must report by July 1st.

Have fun with your new roomies, Stevie!