Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The finding from the investigation that concluded that certain candidates benefited from the actions of the Russian troll farm.  Stein was one of those candidates who was promoted by Russian trolls. It was mentioned in the indictment.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Not that anyone here actually thought Trump was going to do anything but go against lgbt rights (I think the most I hoped for is Ivanka and Jared might stop Pence from going completely off the deep end), but here's an article on protections which have been/are being dismantled (and more presumably we don't hear about).

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/19/trump-lgbt-rights-discrimination-353774

There was a poll out last month that I hadn't heard of until yesterday, from GLAAD (an organization I have little to no respect for and never will) about an "alarming drop" in lgbt rights. 

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/GLAAD-Harris-Poll-shows-LGBTQ-acceptance-dropping-Getty-pledges-15M/61713.html

Here's an op-ed on it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/02/05/i-thought-gay-rights-were-safe-now-i-know-i-was-wrong/?utm_term=.7f33b4b1ea47

I do agree with those who feel that part of this is down to transgender rights and how poorly that debate is always framed and how easily those on the far right steer public opinion. I don't agree with Andrew Sullivan that the solution is to somehow distance lgb from t (although I have a feeling Andrew Sullivan would likely separate "g" from all the rest, very happily), because I don't think that would work anyway. 

And of course the wedding cake stuff and how glibly these stories are presented doesn't help either. (with many not realizing this isn't actually about a wedding cake or a photographer)

I also think that many are very naive with the whole "society always moves forward and all those icky old people are dying and nothing can stop us now" talk. This pops on every liberal issue and is one of the reasons that they are so often caught flatfooted.

There has likely been a backlash due to Trump and the far right gaining more of a voice, although to be honest based on the Clinton years I do wonder if the backlash would be even stronger if she had won. (although there would have been a tradeoff as she would have protected lgbt people and appointed judges who aren't incompetent hatemongers).

I think that the rainbow connection mentality of the last few years has helped blind some people to the reality that lgbt people will always be seen as different and will always be discriminated against. We will always have to be cautious in how we act and what we say in public about our lives. Ideally the days of some of my older relatives, like the one who always removed all photos of loved ones from his wallet when he went out to bars or clubs or to see men in case someone killed him and killed everyone in the wallet, are gone, but I can't even say that for sure.

There shouldn't be barriers, but there are barriers, and there always will be. The best you can do is shape the barriers to suit you as much as you possibly can. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I was guilty of this to some degree.  Probably because for most of my life American society was progressing and it's hard to take a broader view or different perspective for long periods of time.

I also (arrogantly or naively, however you want to look at it) thought the world would have to be pulled towards the American/European ideals of democracy.  I never seriously considered that we could be pulled towards an authoritarian style of government.

Laughably, I thought that the internet was the light that would force oppressive governments to change or be overthrown.

Please register in order to view this content

Here is some good news about the new Pennsylvania House map.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/02/19/upshot/pennsylvania-new-house-districts-gerrymandering.html

• Members

I think we're all guilty of it to some degree. What bothers me more is when people frame it around old vs young and essentially act gleeful about old people dying and the young taking their place. If the last 5-10 years have shown anything I think it's shown that voting patterns are not anywhere near that simple.