The Politics Thread

• Members

I've said it once, and I'll say it once again: if and when Trump finally goes down, it won't be for anything connected to Russia.  I realize that seems impossible at the moment, but my gut instinct tells me it'll be over something that, when compared to the ongoing Mueller investigation, will seem banal and mind-numbingly stupid.  (That's why I think people are too quick to dismiss and/or ignore the Stormy Daniels situation.  Not that that could lead to anything, but...well...you just never know.)

It'll be one of those "not with a bang, but with a whimper" kind of deals.  Trust.  Watch.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It doesn't sound dramatic at all.  We are in serious trouble here on multiple fronts.  The possibility that he will nuke North Korea is real.  45 is unstable, stupid and evil.

The possibility that American democracy is going down the tubes is real as well.  How surprised would any of us be if the 2020 elections were "delayed"?  Maybe they'll say they need more time to protect against Russian hacking. Nothing would surprise me.

Look at the way ICE is operating. Rounding a woman up when she was testifying against a domestic abuser. Going after a little girl at the hospital. People are being arrested for leaving water bottles and other supplies in the desert. None of this is normal, but I bet they would say they are following orders.   It wouldn't be that hard to turn them into secret police, imo.

• Members

I admit it's scarier than any time I can remember. But there have been abuses of power for years. Johnson used the FBI to infiltrate the Black Panthers and the Anti War movement and jailed people and demonized them. It worked and it led to the entire law and order mantra that's been going on for years even as crime continues to drop. And I do recall many people saying under GWB there would be no elections in 2004. I get this is not the same, but many of it is a long time coming. I find myself wondering how we are now counting on the FBI and Intelligence agencies to save us when they have both been behind some of the worst abuses and overreach over the past how many years. 

The difference is we had what we perceived to be morally decent people over time who actually did some good things. Johnson was an SOB and he was the one who ordered the FBI to infiltrate and portray those groups as traitors but then he also got the civil rights, voting rights, and medicare passed. he also falsified info to get us deeper into Vietnam, failed to report Nixon for deliberately getting the peace talks dropped in 1968 which Nixon did to win the election, all IMO related to his hatred for Bobby Kennedy and how he felt the democrats abandoned him.

I could list the things GWB;s administration is. Difference is it's not longer in the shadows., Trump is crude, ugly, morally vapid, and hateful and is the front for what the GOP is. But because people think GVMT is so inept promises of what gvmt can do for people are so beyond some because they never see anything getting done. Democracy dies when people don't pay attention and step in.. Let's hope enough are that will be able to help pull us back.

• Members

No doubt, there have been abuses of power since the beginning.  I'm more worried about the way Trump undermines institutions and the way Republicans are allowing it with little push back.  The way he attacks the press, courts, FBI, DOJ. The way he discounts science. The idea that there are "alternate facts". The countless number of lies, the open white supremacy, support for Nazis and nationalism.  The way 45 demands loyalty and gets rid of anyone who doesn't give it.  We may have seen some of this before, but I don't think any president has undermined our core values to this extent.

I'm not saying their won't be elections in 2020, just that I won't be that surprised if there weren't. Also, I'm not so sure people were wrong to be worried about it in 2004.  GWB looks benign now, but the degree of surveillance going on in his administration was pretty disturbing.  I can see why people would be wary.

• Members

Hates his guts my dear. I believe this is the day that will end him. I had been out, and when I got back I saw them talking about the memo. then they moved on to two other stories, one of which is the stock market plunging 700 points. which told me "they spent an entire week for this BS." Nunes......what a damn fool. he has cost himself his seat this November.