The Politics Thread

• Members

What a depressing read. Not just that there are so many people down and out, but that our government is actively making it worse.  We should be attacking these problems, but instead the safety net is being further slashed. It's madness.

I wondered that too. I don't know for sure, but perhaps he can restrict the language at government institutions. If it's illegal to do so, I'm sure the ACLU or someone will bring suit.  Sometimes it's hard to believe this is real life.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I heard someone compare the past year to a soap opera, and I thought, "Nuh uh!"  Even your most garden-variety soap opera has better acting, better writing, better directing and all-around better production values than any noise emanating from TrumpCo. or Trump Nation.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Assuming we survive this, there's a lot that will need to be fixed so that this can't ever happen again. We'll need to get rid of the electoral college, reinstate the voting rights act, overturn Citizens United, plus we'll need to get rid of the judges Trump named to the courts. Granted, there's no mechanism for doing that now but if we survive this we'll need to treat these people the way Germany treated the Nazis after the war, complete with executions. 

If we make it to the other side of this, going high and being merciful is not an option.

• Members

If passed, most of the homeowners who will be negatively impacted by this Poison Pill Tax Bill will be on the East Coast, particularly the Northeast. 

There are CA homeowners and homeowners in Texas will be negatively affected as well.

I just saw a list of the 11 most negatively affected cities/regions by passage of the tax bill and let's just say that those Trumpists in Long Island, NY will be most unhappy with that list.

• Members

Well, look at the stats of Long Island, NY and you will see that they got the biggest FU and I'd say that the majority of the L.I./Westchester NY area were Trump supporters.

I don't feel sorry for them one bit though.

Meanwhile, Great Britain's "Leave" ways are coming back to bite them hard.

Exodus of Foreign Workers Leaves British Employers in the Lurch

• Members

So I just read in California they are working on legislation that will allow homeowners to donate their state and local taxes to a state centered charity, giving folks the chance to continue to deduct them as charitable contributions if they exceed the cap on state and property tax deduction of 10,000, which is likely if you are a homeowner in California. If legal, a clever way around the issue.

• Members

CA seems to be the launching pad of quite a few clever tactics these days.

Have you seen their ideas on how to get around the repeal of the Net Neutrality rule?

A year or two ago, I had been reading about some pilot programs in Brooklyn, NY that were constructing community-run Intranets and I wonder if this is an idea that they may end up expanding, in defiance of the Net Neutrality repeal. 

The thing is, the people who can potentially come up with ways around the government's repeal are often more skilled, focused and dedicated than the ones in the government enforcing the repeal.

We'll see how this all shapes out.

• Members

From what I read, the vote is proceeding without him. At this point, let this pig with lipstick pass. All the Sunday shows had folks saying how bad this is.

But some won't get it 'til they hurt. So do it. Then remember and VOTE the GOP OUT in 2018.