The Politics Thread

• Members

I can't take people like Ryan Grim, who dogged the relief bill the entire time, seriously when they're now feigning outrage that it won't have Biden's name emblazoned on the checks. Now they want the credit of supporting what is turning out to be a very substantial bill. I'm sure they'd be thrilled if Bernie's was on there too.

Do I think it would hurt Biden to put his name on them? No. But I understand why he hasn't, and it's clear his team has learned lessons from 2009 because they talk about those lessons constantly and have made it clear to the Dem Congress that they will not tolerate running from the bill or not promoting it and tying themselves to its success. I suspect that is part of what his televised address on Thursday night will be about; linking him further to the bill.

Meanwhile, this I didn't know:

This is slight hyperbole, but it's still important: The Hyde amendment prohibits federal funds for abortion except in the case of rape, abuse or incest. To be clear, the Senate version of the relief bill specifically does not offer protections for the Hyde amendment, which many budget bills have in the past, meaning some of the money in the bill will be free to be given for abortion funding.

Also:

Politico once again uses a Dem-negging headline to try to get clicks and bury the lede on what we noticed about Manchin a few days ago: That he is prepared to at the very least gut the filibuster or reform it, if not dump it outright when given verifiable proof in this term that the GOP will abuse it (and that is an exercise that will 100% have to play out first on some bill in order to move a real change, to give those waffling Dem Senators political cover). When guys like Adam Jentleson and others are all saying the same thing about Manchin, when Manchin is stridently in favor of H.R. 1 while knowing it can't pass without either reconciliation or filibuster nuking, it is time to listen.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I keep seeing Glenn Greenwald types trying to make Biden look bad about the dog...and then you have reporters asking if it's going to be put down. I think it may be for the best if they just leave the dogs in Delaware. 

I am very happy to see Schumer publicly pointing out how complicit and worthless Susan Collins is. She blasted him a few months ago, due to him campaigning against her last year. She has always been worthless at any actual governing, but hiding behind Olympia Snowe and having a good media team gave her a pass. The curtain has now been pulled back, likely due to her antics surrounding Kavanaugh. 

It's still difficult to imagine Manchin or Sinema going along with the needed filibuster reforms, but Manchin does go on about the infrastructure bill...

Bernie dead-enders have taken over the Democratic slate in Nevada. Eesh.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/10/bernie-sanders-nevada-harry-reid-474971

• Members

It was one reporter from the NY Post, lol. They got roasted for it. It's not an actual controversy, the public loves the dogs. As Psaki said the dogs will be back shortly, probably when the First Lady returns to town.

Edited by Vee

• Members

There are lots of empty positions in many agencies because Trump never filled them.

This link is a periodically-updated list of every open position and nominee or appointee, and the status of the nominations:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/interactive/2020/biden-appointee-tracker/

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Oh, so sixteen have been confirmed, I just wanted to know who has already been confirmed. There may be names on the White House website but this gives me a general figure. Thanks.

Yes, I already know how the previous administration stalled things, while being indifferent to filling many positions.

Speaking of which,