The Politics Thread

• Members

The concept on its face can sound Darwinian but if people are going to take a hard-line with individual homeowners, they ought to look at the corporate welfare that goes on, which dwarfs any and all perceived benefits that individuals currently get from the government. Sadly, when arbitrary decisions are made, there is always the possibility that innocent strivers on all sides will get squeezed in the middle.

The article that I read in the NYT, many of the farmers said they had no intention of raising wages even if Americans were filling those jobs, so I'm not sure what is their plan B if they lose most of their farmworkers (*shrugs*).

Speaking of the NYT, this is an interesting article on how the center of chip makers (a big business) may be shifting away from the U.S.

Plan for $10 Billion Chip Plant Shows China’s Growing Pull

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sure but  I think it's more common that over-saturated fields lower wages.  Certain fields are not going to command higher wages simply because they require lower skill levels or virtually no skills at all.  If a farmer is forced by law to pay workers minimum wage then that is all the workers will get.  Any farmer paying more than that would be the type of person who would not need to be told that workers should receive a certain minimum.  Independent contractors that are not operating under any type of regulation are likely to receive lower compensation for work they do.  Competition among businesses to move their products is probably a major factor when it comes to wages (and of course greed).

This is true but there are also some people who refuse to do farm work, janitorial work, etc., who are unskilled and basically unrealistic.

Some of this is inconsistency because why let someone stay here for 20 years (checking in) before deciding to deport the person?  An amnesty program should allow them to keep the people who meet whatever criteria that they establish and it should not be discriminatory or arbitrarily applied.  If they are going to go guest worker then they should make it work with the H1B visa program.

I kind of see where you're going but my experience with has been more I'm better than you than you're making us look bad.  I've got this one friend with a Mexican background who has deluded herself into believing that her Japanese step-grandmother makes her better than all the Mexicans period.  And since she can't speak Spanish because her parents wanted her to be American (which apparently means you can't learn other languages), she gets bent when anyone assumes she speaks Spanish.  I've got other examples but they basically have in common the snobbery.

The pull up your pants thinking is right up there with the whole you've got to work 10 times harder than the white people thinking, imo. It's that old way of thinking that being well-behaved and demonstrating that you are a super hard worker is going to fix racism.  I believe that people who dislike you because of something which you cannot change, aren't going to like you no matter how well-behaved you are.

Anyway, I wish people would stop encouraging non-white people to worry about what white people think about them instead of encouraging them to be concerned about what they think of themselves. I could go on but I'll leave it at that.

• Members

^^J.K. Rowling is doing a pretty great job of putting Morgan in his place lately.

This is great that Ashley Biden, the daughter of former VP Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden, has created a company that unlike the Trumps, actually produces clothes made in the U.S.A. and for some very worthy causes. What a refreshing change from what we've been hearing about lately!

Ashley Biden Partners with Gilt on “Livelihood” Clothing Line

and ICYMI, Trump U.K. Visit Delayed to Avoid Parliament Talk, Guardian Says

• Members

Her responses have been witty, acerbic, and downright hilarious, without even trying. It's been amazing.

To which he replied, then deleted: "Would you like to me to explain why all your political views keep being defeated at the ballot box?

And she added a delicious dash of petty.

• Members

It shows how poisoned modern society is, and how deluded they are. This delusion is also why Obama won in 2008, beyond the very strong campaign he ran. People made him into a god, especially many on the left. When he had to actually be a human being, many pampered brats (of all ages...) sat on their hands for 8 years. 

• Members

Polls are even more useless when it comes to him.  He goes on twitter to pretend the protesters are supporters and the truth is fake news and his Trumpkins buy it.

Why expect better from them regarding him when Mitch McConnell won't come off a penny to help deal with the opioid problem in his state and still gets re-elected.  He will probably be okay with all those people dying so they won't need benefits anymore and he can rest easy cutting them all off since they must be such a financial drain to him and Paul Ryan (who probably thinks it's their own faults for not helping themselves).