AMC Tornado: "Look at Me, I'm Chuckie P"

• Members

"All My Children’s latest tornado was amusing to watch for more than a week as a soap special event. But I’m going to use a word for it I’ve never used in decades of watching or writing about soap opera. I have never seen such a overly contrived piece of soap opera in my life."

So says veteran critic Marlena De Lacroix even though she liked watching the pre-sweeps "Act of God" by hypermanipulative new headwriter Chuck Pratt.

http://marlenadelacroix.com/?p=159

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm still trying to figure out how Bianca's plane managed to land in such weather and how she made it all the way to the Slater beach house without hearing one word about the tornado coming. Surely the pilots who flew the plane would have heard something. LOL

• Members

was it contrived? without a doubt.

However it was NEEDED. This show has been stale and a bore for the betterpart of the past 10 years, IMHO. The past 3-5 years have been awful, and the show was been on life support. This event wasnt about Chuck Pratt. It was about reshaping the show, shaking it up, and trying to salvage it. What he does in the next few months is important, IMHO.

Judge him then.

• Members

This is a perfect example of what's wrong with daytime, and ABC daytime especially. Instead of hiring a writer with a history with AMC (Broderick, Johnson, etc., etc., etc.) who writes character driven stories, Brian Frons hires Chuck Pratt, who comes from the Bob "it's all about stunts" Guza school of storytelling. AMC has such a rich history, but new headwriters come in and don't bother to learn it. Pratt's tenure is all about "let's see how bizarre we can make the stories, that's sure to get the audience talking." But all it succeeds in doing is turning off "the faithful." Pratt will be gone within a year; the raiting will continue to languish, but Brian Frons will continue to sit atop his ABC daytime throne, with the rest of us scratching our heads and wondering how he manages to keep his job when he makes so many diasterous hiring decisions. It boggles the mind!

• Members

I actually think Pratt has surprisingly done a lot right. But Frons (and yes, prob Pratt too) love their stunts, it's true.

There was a rumour that Broderick was asked if she'd return at one point and turned it down--I know she doesn't want to work under Frons' control (she seemed to hate her experience at OLTL enough when he came in and demoted her)

I don't see Pratt doing more "bizarre" stories though than AMC has had lately--which are you refering to

• Members

But that's the problem - these shows are destroyed in a pretty substantial amount that, e.g., a writer like Lorraine wouldn't be able to save it. Sure, she would write excellent stories, but can those alone attract new viewers? No.

• Members

It was definitely contrived. But I get the impression Pratt felt like he needed to reset the canvas FAST. And the tornado suceeded in doing that.

I know its heresy but I'm beginning to find the "history" cry a bit tiresome. One of the things I'm enjoying about Pratt's writing is the fact that he's staying firmly planted in the modern world: the war, Bianca/Reese, Jesse's relationship with a white woman. He's taking risks instead of playing it safe in a haze of nostalgia. There are DEFINITELY things I would change (the timing on Jesse's other family for example) but I'm interested.

• Members

I'll take a fast and quick reset over new headwriters who say they need 6 months to get their stories in place. You always hear that and I always think it's a load of crap. If a soap thinks a story isn't working they will scrap it in a heartbeat.

Archived