AMC: How do you think the 2008 Tornado will compare to the 1994 one?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think, sadly, it's bound to be a disappointment. The '94 Tornado was original and as the video plainly demonstrates, the effects were realistic and they absolutely hold up. You could easily air that scene today and audiences would be surprised. Absolutely wonderful direction and timing (especially when the doorbell of the Martin house begins to ring because of the wind which Tad doesn't realize and then BOOM the door breaks off the frame)...also, that white and black tile floor just looks so decadent with all the wind and dust and destruction.

CGI is not realistic, it's cheap and that's why it's used. I bet the '94 Tornado was very expensive to stage.

I will tune in to see how it goes, but I am betting I won't be impressed.

• Members

I think, sadly, it's bound to be a disappointment.

============================

But you won't know that until it happens.. You never know you could be surprised. :)

(especially when the doorbell of the Martin house begins to ring because of the wind which Tad doesn't realize

==================================================

Oh!!! Is that what it was? I was wondering who was ringing the doorbell!:)

• Members

Didn't you see the footwashing? How can you say B&B is not emotionally rich? Katie after her interaction with demon Storm?

But I agree with you here.

Y&R...less so. It is not what it could be, but there are performers who are bringing it. First and foremost (and trust me...it SHOCKS me to write this) Joshua Morrow. What an awesome revelation. I believe in his feelings for his dad, his son, his wife, his ex-wife. And the 8/6/08 post-Sudden Impact episode was a thing of beauty that still remains on my DVR. But I don't want to hijack the thread. I wasn't making a between-show comparison, I was making an over-time comparison. (One that, correctly, might apply to many shows right now...but that wasn't my point).

It's funny, because in another thread I commented on HOW emotionally compelling GH:Night Shift is.

I take it you believe the new tornado WILL be emotionally satisfying??

• Members

Wow, I'm not a viewer of AMC, so obviously didnt watch the first tornado, but whoever came up with the idea of the Martin doorbell ringing was very creative.. (was McT writing then, it showed her dark humour, the Martin door is always open and the doorbell ringing, only its not a friend but the tornado.) Not to mention I was "blown away," when the door blew in on Tad...I jumped in my seat watching that and I never do that while watching a soap anymore.

• Members

Well - the Mardi Gras Ball was about as good as the 1994 tornado - special effects and disaster-wise. As long as they don't go overboard with the CGI stuff - and it doesn't look overly fake - I think we'll be good. The Mardi Gras Ball was only 2.5 years ago!

• Members

THe '94 tornado kicked a*s. And not just because of the effects or the directing, but because of the buildup and the repercussions. The discovery of Janet Green/Jane Cox, the chandelier and Julia-on-the-run discovering Noah (who was looting)...perhaps Pratt thinks he is building up to something huge, but it's not just the Metro Station, dude, it's the characters and stories.

The Mardi Gras Blast was poetic, and I also agree that CGI can look like crap, but the stuff with J&A's wedding came off OK, so...

Archived