AMC: How do you think the 2008 Tornado will compare to the 1994 one?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True.

And Gloria revealing at the party that she knew Adam was behind his own stalking & kidnapping. I'll never forget her grabbing the pearl necklace Adam had given her, pulling if off her neck, and all the pearls breaking off and falling to the ground.

The tornado was a metaphor in a way—symbolizing all those stories reaching their dramatic climaxes.

• Members

While I'm not entirely ready to dismiss the CGI, I have to say that 1994's tornado is going to be a tough act to follow. But I understand that with the way the production of AMC (and soaps in general) is these days, not only would CGI be cheaper (?) but also less time consuming (I'm sure they taped that scene well into the wee hours of the morning). I would have LOVED to have seen a behind the scenes of the 1994 tornado.

The Mardi Gras explosion was... okay.

The worst McTavish disaster was the explosion at Holidays on the 4th of July 1998.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

After seeing a promo now for Tornado '08, it looks like it could be very exciting and suspenseful.

I can only hope the fallout is a lot more exciting than the "fall-in" (sic) Storyline power is not there.

• Members

I hope that everyone gets to be part of the storyline though. That was the best part of the '94 tornado, with the exception of Erica, everyone was in on the stories that day. Everyone was on set. Everyone saw something, felt something, or changed.

Joe and Jake better be more than just hospital background noise. We haven't heard mentions of what Randi, Carmen, Amanda, and Jack are going to be up to during the mess. I hope Taylor and Frankie step up to the plate when it comes to disaster relief.

Then there are the people offscreen in Pine Valley, who may not even be mentioned: Livia, Myrtle, Janet... I hope someone goes and at least mentions they checked in with them. How great would it be if Oak Haven was destroyed and all the loonies begin running around off their meds. I would do anything to get Kate Collins back as Janet. Maybe even Emily Ann Sago to stir the pot.

I also hope that the show is not solely relaying on special effects for the tornado. I want to see debris and dust flying around like in the Janet/Kendall confrontation. There better be some onstage effects too to make this all feel real.

Also, I hope someone flashes back or makes mention to the last tornado which changed so many people's lives. At least Tad has to remember his near death experience.

• Members

Okay, let's not start getting carried away into Fan-Fic territory... unless you want to set yourself up to be majorly disappointed.

Moving on...

From the promos I've seen, this will be a different tornado in more ways than just the CGI aspect alone. So, at this point, I think we're not only jumping the gun, but I might even dare to say we're comparing apples and oranges.

Archived