Texas!

• Members

It's a shame that it never occurred to P&G to build TEXAS around Beverly Penberthy and Pat Matthews, rather than around Beverlee McKinsey and Iris (who, IMO, was more effective on AW).  For one thing, they wouldn't have needed to alter Pat's personality the way they did Iris' in order to make her the new show's central heroine.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I swear I had read at one point that Pat was supposed to be part of Texas. It makes sense since they were playing with a Kevin/Pat pairing. A Daytime TV issue in early 1980 stated that Russ Matthews was slated to be part of the new soap, which was then titled Another World: Houston. Also, Texas was originally supposed to premiere on June 30, but then was postponed until August 4. Makes me wonder if the postponement was meant to weave Iris into the story.

• Members

June 30 ended up being the day that the Texas storylines began on Another World. If it was postponed for no other reason just to bring Iris into it, that sounds like a pretty bad move. I know Beverlee McKinsey had great star power but it does seem kind of risky to place it all on her shoulders.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

It looks alot like the orginal BevAlex Spaulding entrance living room..as it was blue but it probably different...( I know furniture from Bob Hughes living room would magically appear in Alan Spauldings office so...)

Now can someone tell me where my key's are..I have too much useless memories in there.

• Members

Are you talking about Ashely?  She wasn't an ingenue at all.  The character really didn't fit any of the traditional soap opera archetypes.  But she certainly wasn't an ingenue.  She was too old, she wasn't innocent enough, her personality was too strong, etc, etc, etc,  Wasn't she more like a reformed bad-girl?  Almost like a more tolerable version of Reve Shane.   

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Ashley seemed more like Vanessa to me than Reva from what I saw of Pamela's portrayal of the character. From being a wealthy heiress to having a baby in her teens and her being torn by her "cowboy" Justin and TJ (her child's father) Like Vanessa being in love with her southern cowboy Billy and her eldest child's father Ross. 

• Members

Ashley was a reformed bad girl. When she was introduced, Terry Dekker made some biting remarks about Ashley's scheming nature and said she couldn't be trusted. She was a secretary at World Oil known for sleeping with the married executives. The character changed a lot as the writers changed. I don't recall her being a wealthy heiress when she was introduced; she was a secretary whose wealthy aunt Hildy was good friends with Iris.