KNOTS LANDING

• Members

It drops..but never to later season Dynasty/Dallas levels.  First half of season 13 is the lowest in terms of quality..but still a stable if you forget you are watching Knots.

Season 9 has some good scenes/stories..and not so good stories as well and an awesome cliffhanger (which fell during the 1988 writers strike so the wait for its resolution must habe been nailbiting.  I remember my mom watching S10 premiere eagerly when I was little).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think their presence was paramount in keeping things going. Eventually, you will notice who the Lechowicks liked and who they didn't. It pretty easy to imagine how things would have gone from there without the Executive Producers overseeing it. 

Season 9 will do some of the best stories/moment you've seen in the entire show... and some of the worst. It's an incredibly frustrating season. The highs are very high and the lows are in the depths of hell.

STILL, like Soaplovers said, the worst of KNOTS LANDING still remains pretty damn good (I cannot comment for after Season 11) and, when I say 'lows' I mean in the show's context, compared to other stories and seasons.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

I think David Jacobs, an avowed movie buff, would appreciate your drawing such an analogy.

IA with Soaplovers: KNOTS always had stories that, for whatever reason, didn't work, but the lowest the show ever reaches in terms of quality is the front half of S13.  By that point, the Lechowicks (and later, James Stanley) had left to work on "Homefront."  (Mimi Kennedy, who had served as one of KL's story editors, left for "Homefront" as well, but as an actress.)  Their successor, John Romano, who had worked previously on "Hill Street Blues," was just all wrong for KNOTS.  A number of story threads that the Lechowicks and their team had left behind veered WAY off-track; and what Romano himself was responsible for...well...let's just say, prepare to hear the words "Tidal Energy" a lot.  (I mean, A LOT.)

According to Ann Marcus' autobiography, things got so bad under Romano that Jacobs was forced to shut down production temporarily in an attempt to reverse course.  Marcus, who had been one of the chief architects of the Ciji Dunne story, was brought back.  The show stabilized, and the back half of S13 was good, if not a full return to classic form for KNOTS.

CBS renewed KNOTS for a 14th season.  However, in order to stay under budget, the episode order was reduced (to 19) and cast members' episode guarantees were cut as well.  (Michele Lee was the ONLY regular cast member to appear in every episode in that season.)  In turn, budget constraints, as well as the absence of another, veteran cast member (won't say who), hamstrung the overall storytelling, IMO.  To quote TV Guide, KNOTS, in S14, just seemed to be very limp.  Subsequently, when the finale did air, I was sad to see it go, but I also knew it was time.

Of the four major primetime soaps from the '80's -- DALLAS, DYNASTY, FALCON CREST and KNOTS -- I've always felt that KNOTS was the most like their daytime counterparts in terms of its' emphasis on character over plot or spectacle.  DALLAS emphasized characters and relationships as well; however, with some exception, DALLAS was a pretty static show.  (J.R. vs. Bobby, J.R. vs. Sue Ellen, J.R. vs. Pam and Cliff, J.R. vs. everybody else; lather, rinse, repeat.)  KNOTS, on the other hand, always appeared willing to remain fresh and be different, and to grow, without sacrificing the core that Jacobs had established at the start.

Sometimes, the growth was good for the show; and sometimes, the growth wasn't.  But, as one book suggests, it was that "willingness to evolve" that kept KNOTS as a viewer favorite long after the other primetime soaps had faded.

As for why LML ultimately failed at Y&R...?  You COULD argue that she needed her husband to work alongside her as a Co-HW, since her track record without him is spotty, IMO.  But I think it actually boils down to these basic facts: not every writer is capable of doing great work in every medium; and not every TV writer is cut out for every show.

Edited by Khan

• Members

If you can get through season 8, which was such a huge tonal departure from the 3-4 seasons before it (I did enjoy some elements, namely Olivia's drug story, but the Jean Hackney story was completely unsuited to KL - the only part I enjoyed was the hilarious scene where Ben put Lillimae in a headlock), then you should be able to enjoy the ride for a while, although it changes again in some jarring ways in season 9. 

If you're a Paige fan then you will enjoy season 9 - something clicked into place with her that season and she becomes vitally important to the show in a way that was so unexpected. And unlike many producer/writer pets attached to shows late in life, she actually is worth the watch. 

The one thing I will say is that the writing for Abby, Olivia, Mack, Valene declines significantly for me, and there is one episode in particular in season 9 which enraged me and I never forgave the show for. I don't know if you have any idea what's coming up so I won't spoil you if you don't. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

IIRC, 12 and 13 are essentially the same (the return to the scroll post sandcastles) maybe some cast differences, but the theme/titles were revamped in some way every season.  I hated the final version of the theme, it sounded so bombastic and out of date.

I agree with you, I loved the original.  I also loved the two Dvore seasons and sandcastles.  I liked how they'd break away, do a recap and return with that strong ending.

• Members

EPISODE 7: MIXED MESSAGES

In a charming opening scene, Paula acts smitten with Greg after realizing they’re only there to make Paige, who’s dining with Christopher at a nearby table, jealous. Their scenes remain charming throughout – what a departure from the previous episode! Greg invites Paula to the Sumner office party – there’s a great shot of Greg seen in the distance, with Paula's legs in the forefront – and he begins to see her as something more than a tool to annoy Paige with. Still, during a talk at a restaurant later, one can’t help but get the feeling Paula recoiled just a little when Greg kissed her cheek (neck?). If she’s interested, she doesn’t seem to be there yet.

Meanwhile, Paige meets a new luvah in a way that would only happen on a Lechowick show: She’s showing a client to her car, when she overhears a couple arguing and breaking up. The man, who is tall, muscular, and sexy, of course, hands her a bag of fancy pantyhose, that clearly his ex won’t be using, and walks away. Paige wears them. How kinky. Of course, she runs into the man again and he shows how heartbroken he is by hitting on Paige. It doesn’t work but, guess what? He’s a guest at the Sumner party! Before long, there’s elevator sex. "These elevators really get a workout," Greg hilariously comments. "I can’t believe this is all a coincidence" Paige says as she’s getting ready to sleep with Tom Ryan in her apartment… uh oh. Tom Ryan literally rides her. When she wakes up, he’s no longer there.

The Sumner office hijinks continue. Let’s see if I can get this right: Mort kicks up his [!@#$%^&*]-meter a notch by making sure Michael knows Bob is bringing his cousin to the party as his date. Michael asks Polly out. Polly tells him she has a date but he later overhears her asking Harvey out. Thing offers to go with Michael to the party. Polly is without a date because Mort arranged for Harvey to have to work. Mort is stunned to see gorgeous Thing on Michael's arm. Mort asks Paige to dance and gets shot down. Mort hits on Polly but Harvey returns on time. Mort decides Bob’s cousin is next but Bob’s cousin is only his third cousin, so she kisses him and they realize their love for each other, while Mort seethes. Fun!

Following their evening of kinky role-playing, Michael and Thing come to realize they’re attracted to each other. Is Michael going to sleep with every woman that comes to stay at that house?!

Despite Val taking him back, Danny is at Amanda's, upset that their one-night stand was just that. Meanwhile, Gary is upset that Danny is always around, whether he’s visiting Val or Amanda, and wants to go away with her. He tells her not to tell Danny, which is of course exactly what she’ll do. Danny continues to romance Val and the show plays cutesy, romantic music while they kiss – um, he’s cheating on her and is a douchebag. Are we confused here, Show?

Ginny is exonerated when the money Jeri stole is found in Baylor’s home. Wow, that’s a great twist. Baylor sees Mack and Frank and asks them to represent him, assuring them he’s innocent. "I love the law," Mack tells Karen, who squeezes in an appearance a few minutes before episode’s end, and he can’t stand knowing that Baylor is guilty. But Ginny, while creepily going through her dead friend’s jewelry, finds the $17,000 that supposedly was taken by Baylor in the jewelry can! Oh, this is great.      

Loser of the episode: Mort because, well, he’s Mort and rightly nothing goes right for him.

Winner of the episode: Bob, who finds love, even if she’s his third cousin. That was actually kinda sweet.

3KitE52.png?1Vxi49Vi.png?17xTlj7F.png?1b74j5mt.png?1MdmxLmA.png?1pkocTJ9.png?145u7jJ4.png?12UESe1P.png?1P5DBW0Q.png?1txISP0Y.png?1MEPhvA2.png?1a0l0VFW.png?17Szmc78.png?1tXzEBfO.png?1dceoxcO.png?1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

EPISODE 8: THE GOOD GUYS

My God, this season doesn’t even give you a second to breathe, does it?

Tom calls Paige to apologize for hitting it and running. Before long, we (and Mack) learn that Tom is a cop. It’s all Mack needed to hear. You think the story will be about Mack trying to push Tom onto Paige, but you soon realize that he’s somehow involved with the Shady Corporation and probably been intimidating and hurting people right and left.

Karen fills in for the talk show again. Is this the beginning of some Karen-becomes-a-talk-show host story or something?

Everything else is pretty much put on hold while the episode majorly focuses on Tom and Paige. Olivia and Harold are still arguing about money. Michael and Thing are still attracted to each other. Karen still worries about Michael's spending. Gary, Amanda, and Danny take the week off.

All this, and the cliffhanger is that Tom stood Paige up.

• Members

EPISODE 9: PERFECT COUPLES

What a doozy of an episode.

Once more, Paige is left feeling angry over something Tom did and pining after him. The fact that she’s this involved in such a short amount of time says a lot about just how much she actually likes him. Nevertheless, Tom ends things and pines away for Paige by looking at a lingerie shop window. Weird.

The Sumner Group fun continues. On the one hand, you have Polly. Dating- every-guy-in-the-company Polly. I like her. There’s a really funny scene where she brings Paige chocolate to help her get over Tom. Typically, Paige chews her out but takes the chocolate – and then we see her trash bin is full of empty candy bar wrappings.

On the other hand, you have the ever-douchey Mort making it his life’s purpose to date ‘Teresa’ aka Thing. Michael eventually snaps and tells Mort that only he will be sampling his brother’s wife’s giftbox. Somewhere in all of this, Mort meets Harold and Olivia (you guessed it, they’re having money problems) and lets the cat out of the bag: Michael is ‘dating’ Thing! Bob, ever so sweet and touching, actually defends Mort: "He’s really not such a bad guy. He’s just insensitive and crude." And you know… yes. Mort is just clueless.

Eternal loser Mark Baylor gets sentenced to three years and begs Karen to get Mack to stop investigating. Karen is being flattered by the bailiff (who speaks not at all like real people would when he praises Karen's talk-show skills), so I hope she does get the message. Karen's funniest moment of the episode comes when Mack announces he’ll invite Tom and Paige to dinner, without them knowing the other is coming, and she deadpans: "You don’t want to meddle, do you?" Well, I don’t know what else he’s supposed to do.

Pat finally makes an appearance but most of the scene is handled by Frank. Nevertheless, it’s a stand-out: Mack suggests Pat and Frank talk to Mark about what it’s like being in the witness protection program. Frank’s ensuing monologue is great, and gave the Williams’ season 9 introductory storyline some very nice resonance.

The music on the show has gone crazy. There’s setting the mood and then there’s clubbing you over the head with it. Still, it’s charming. The focus of the episode is Danny's descent into madness. Despite an unconvincingly acted first scene (where Danny casually calls Val and then breaks down crying by himself over receiving divorce papers), his increasing desperation is must-see TV. There’s nasty Danny sex. Ridiculously on-the-nose live singing that makes Cathy seem subtle. Dog-napping. And then the harrowing, unexpected, devastating final scene: Several minutes of Amanda being slammed against the wall, threatened, choked, dragged across the floor, hair-pulled, raped. A stunning, heartbreaking end, wonderfully played by two actors I’m still on the fence about.

PS. Hard to believe, but in 11 seasons, I think this is only the second rape?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

EPISODE 10: NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER

Danny's reaction to raping Amanda is just as disgusting as you’d expect it to be: He denies it, belittles her, calls her weak, and throws her out. They don’t skimp on the graphicness: At some point, Amanda's on the floor, her hand protectively between her thighs following her trauma. It’s not the type of imagery you’d expect on a network show. I really love the unexpected direction they’ve taken with this villain type story. It doesn’t feel like your typical dating-a-psycho scenario. Danny comes off charming, totally normal, everyday, and yet capable of extreme anger and actions. Sadly, the writers are trying to amp things up by having Val say things like, she loves Danny more than she ever loved Ben or even Gary, which is totally unnecessary. Honestly, I don’t truly buy that she loves him (the chemistry isn’t really there) but the story doesn’t require that we feel a strong sense of love between the two. The drama is still good enough on its own.

I loved Mack and Karen conspiring to get Tom and Paige back together and how the two ended up in bed again. They have nice chemistry. As for Oakman, he’s not exactly Mark St. Claire, but he’ll work as a shadowy figure for now. I feel Mack is being a little stupid not seeing through Tom though.

I’m starting to like Thing a little more now, and the actress playing Amanda has really impressed me with her work the last couple of episodes.

I was right – Karen is now a talk show host! Well, if anyone would be, it’d be Karen. In great Knots Landing fashion, they connect this story to Danny's when Karen does a show on rapists. It’s a little obvious, of course, but such a great joining of storylines.

The ending – Amanda calling in to Karen's show to discuss her rape, while Danny watches uncomfortably with Val by his side, and Gary recognizing Amanda's voice – is great. This season has kindly been giving Gary lots of cliffhangers.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

You're not kidding! In 11 years, this is the first time I've actively disliked Val. A shocking way to start the episode, indeed.

The show did a wonderful job of developing a second love of Val's life in Ben, without lessening what she felt for Gary.

The way I see it, there's two ways to justify that line: We can give them the benefit of the doubt and assume Val is so caught up in the passion and so desperate for a partner that she's lying even to herself (but there was no onscreen indication of this) or they want to really make the point that this is actually Val's biggest love and therefore all this Danny stuff happening is more important. Sadly, I fear it's the latter.