OLTL Promo 9-1: Todd and Marty

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't see it as my work puter blocks the Flash stuff.

But based on what I'm seeing on OLTL at the moment, the Todd/Marty SL is one of the best things on the show so far. And yes, I did see the rape the first time around.

• Members

Um, this storyline is now pure shock for shock value. That's the worst kind of storytelling. Ron should've just played out the emotional connection for much longer, and the fact he's having a rape victim (who albeit isn't in her right mind) sexually attracked to and kissing her rapist is revolting. Up until now, Todd seemed a bit creeped out by what he was doing to Marty, but why the hell am I seeing sparks in that preview? It looks like Todd is falling in love with Marty himself, which is supposed to shock us.....?

I'd love for someone to explain this storyline to rape victims who might be watching the show. This seems like perverted ratings ploy, and shock never has long-term viewing impact.

• Members

Interesting that you would mention Marty getting her memory back and still wanting Todd. Because that's exactly what I was thinking might actually happen. A woman being raped actually falling for her attacker has happened before. Luke and Laura anyone? Luke raped Laura, yet they went on to actually becoming a shockingly loving, legendary couple with household names on GH.

• Webmaster

But Luke and Laura can't be compared!

Okay, I'll admit I wasn't born yet to witness the event itself, but from what I have been shown, the rape of Laura by Luke wasn't shown to the extent that we saw Todd rape Marty. That rape was a gang rape and was graphic and brutal. The character had to live with what was done to her, her attackers went on trial and they were sent to prison. That storyline was about a rape and not about romance. The story it told was that women didn't have to sit back and keep quiet if they get raped. It isn't their fault and they did nothing wrong.

Now for the show to retcon that and make some people, who witnessed this storyline back in the day, actually find themselves interested in the pairing? Now that is not right. Yes, I can understand that it is a storyline and the actor playing Todd isn't the same, but I just don't get how people can now accept a possible relationship between a woman and her rapist, whether it is because she lost her memory or not. I'm not saying the people who want it are evil and sick, cause they aren't, but it is just something I may never understand. The two actors do have chemistry, but that shouldn't be the basis of a romance between the two characters.

• Administrator

But who's wanting them to be a couple, a real couple? I don't think I've read anyone say that. I think people (at least here) who enjoy this storyline are enjoying the psychological issues and the anticipation of Marty getting her memory back when this story climaxes.

• Members

Personally, I was absolutely shocked by the promo and by the kiss. I have no idea how it happens, whether they both are into a kiss, whether she kisses him, whether it's a dream, whatever, and I happen to think it makes a lot of difference. I'm not adverse to a kiss being shown so long as the story ends in its only conclusion: Marty remembering the truth and taking empowering revenge on a condemned Todd. This story is straddling an edge; for a lot of people, it's already gone over, and I can understand that, but I don't agree. I have to see how it plays out - so far it's played as a thriller - and I don't believe Susan Haskell would sign on to anything as utterly irresponsible as "Todd and Marty's secret romance which turns out great." If they do that, I won't watch it.

Now, as to the matter of you. Nobody really needs your help figuring out how they feel or what they think, and if they did, I think you'd be their last choice. I don't feel I live in any kind of "illusion" just because I (shock horror!) disagree with the great Sylph. Given your past history, I'm sure personally disagreeing with you is enough of a vicious attack on your flimsy person for you to call for moderators, but though I run the risk of you filing against me for mental distress and war crimes, let me just continue for a bit here. Contrary to the gist of your previous incoherent posts, it is quite possible for good head writers to tell bad or unpopular stories - nobody hits all the time. I think Ron Carlivati's told a lot of good stories in the past year and some not so great in the past few months, but while I think OLTL is in a precarious state these days, I've decided I don't need help from your "healing hands" to see the depths and scope of my "grand illusion" or supposed deluded state of mind. I have no interest in your quaint little narrative in which you come down from your ivory tower of misanthropy and paranoia and make us all understand that Ron Carlivati is the great deceiver, always untalented and unworthy of praise, because Sylph said so, amen. The fact is, people had every right and valid reasons to feel as they did or do about RC; whether their feelings were positive or negative, their opinions were as 100% correct and valid as yours, and there's not a thing you can do about it. And that's what's really upset you all along.

You may have wanted to make a case for "cliques" and "peer pressure to enjoy RC" in the past, but it's safe to say that the only person pressuring or bullying anyone around here now is you. We'll all work out how we feel about OLTL in our minds, without your compulsive, flop-sweat desperation to paper over any good work the man does as a reflection on your own validity. You are relieved of your histrionic duties. There's no longer any need (nor was there ever) for you to chime in with condescending glee every time anyone might be unhappy with an aspect of OLTL. And God help them if they find themselves enjoying it again - somehow I'm sure that would end up becoming all about you too. In fact, there's still things on OLTL I quite enjoy right now, Sylph. And even if I or other people stopped enjoying it, it wouldn't change anything about the past year of work which so affronted your sensibilities. Keep yelling at me about how wrong and foolish and cruel to you I am to like a show that you don't, Sylph. Every time you make this about you and your attitude, you look like a man running up a "down" escalator - going nowhere, reflecting nothing.

• Administrator

There are? Yikes! LOL They actually want them to get together once Marty regains her memory? Wow.

Great post, Vee!! Yeah, I can't believe we lived in an "illusion" or that we "faked" it. Cause you know us lowly peasants can't think for ourselves, we just wanted to fit in in and be like the cool kids!! <_<

Archived