OLTL Promo 9-1: Todd and Marty

• Members

There's two different kinds of "support." I am interested in the storyline though I think it's very dangerous; I watch it and the show, and enjoy quite a bit of it, therefore I "support it." If they steer me wrong, I won't watch it. So far I see it as a psychological thriller, and I think it's been made clear onscreen just how much Todd is manipulating and controlling this twisted situation, and how nutty he is. If they turn it into a bonafide romance I'll be upset. That to me would be disgusting.

Then you have the idiots on other boards who are so locked into their own private fanbase flamewars that they will support "Tarty" as a real romance, which I don't think will ever happen, because "it's better than Blair" and "she doesn't remember so it's okay; TSJ didn't do the Spring Fling scenes so it's okay." Both reasons are complete horseshit, but that's how some people are.

Two very different things. Anyone who feels the need to conflate them into one is trying to sell something.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

True, but from what we've been told a soap needs "new" blood in order for them to gain viewers. Ron is "new" blood, though he's been on the OLTL writing team since 1996 (I think), and his ratings are just as bad, if not worse, than the rest.

• Members

I think the Emmy and perhaps the 12-17 demo bought him a lot of time. Had he not gotten some industry accolades and some younger demos, Carlivati would've gone the way of B&E. I still think he has some time, but Frons isn't going to be happy with the 1.9's for too long. Carlivati is not Guza, meaning he has no real reputation with Frons or a friendship.

• Members

Which I find utterly disturbing on so many levels. Is Carlavati really trying to cater to THOSE fans? That's also disturbing.....

True to an extent, but OLTL keeps dropping, clearly RC hasn't worked magic with this show........

Yeah I don't see where he goes from here. I do love seeing people on various boards turning on him, especially people who once loved Todd :D

• Webmaster

Not unless you are Y&R and B&B's ratings, which are similar to the ratings they had at certain points just four years ago. They are holding steady and somewhat growing. Though their average four years ago was higher, at some points their ratings were lower than what they are getting today.

• Members

^ Toups I don't agree, and IMO that's one of the biggest problems with daytime, the "oh ratings suck and soaps ratings will forever suck, so it doesn't really matter" if TIIC have that kind of attitude I seriously fear for the future of ABC Soaps.......

Story magic? Maybe at first, but RC is on the verge of hackiness.......

• Webmaster

And I TOLD you, lol, that yes their average for the season may be down compared to their season average four years ago, but considering that they were able to hit those low points four years ago and today build, ever so slightly, on those numbers is fantastic. The death of daytime isn't happening like people think for Y&R/B&B, at least at the rate it is happening for the bottom 6 soaps ;)

• Members

I think the desireability of redeeming Todd is overrated. He's a much better and more interesting character as a borderline sociopath. The fans who want to see Todd redeemed are those who want him to be a romantic hero, and I hope that never happens and frankly, it wasn't the rape that drew me to that conclusion but the day he handed Blair a box of dirt and told her it was the cremated body of her son. He drives much more interesting stories as the disturbed twisted individual who shows brief flashes of humanity, and who people love and try to redeem, but never quite succeed.

Sylph's response to me was 100% on target. I had wrapped myself quite warmly in the illusion that Carlivati would not go "there" and he obviously is. Bang! My illusions exploded (or imploded?). I consider that a good thing, because that's a reaction I like to get from a soap. I want something unexpected. Honestly, I am more interested in this story from a strategic perspective than from a story perspective. The strategy fascinates me and I think it's incredibly ballsy. The question remains will the return justify the risk.

Archived