OLTL Promo 9-1: Todd and Marty

• Members

I know how this is going to sound but the way some people have been cheering for this story has really made me lose the remaining respect I had for the genre and it's fans. At this point I feel like Frons may as well just keep dishing up garbage because apparently a lot of people watching just want to see pretty people screw. This might as well be The Hills.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand that. Really. I think you and others are enjoying what I call the "black box theatre" of this. Two characters in a small space with nothing but words. This is classic theatre/literature. It's The Phantom and Christine. Maggie and Brick. Tristan and Isolde. I'd probably enjoy it too if it weren't a derivative, perversion of history.

I'm talking about the "Tartys." Those people who keep saying things like "if it's done right" and "what about Luke and Laura?" etc.... They made me abandon the sliver of hope that I didn't even know I still had for soaps. Those are the people who've made me disgusted that I ever watched soaps at all.

• Members

IMO a lot of that "Tarty" stuff has more to do with the old Todd/Blair vs. Todd/Evangeline/Tea/etc wars. Which is not to say all fans of those other couples support Todd and Marty as a romantic couple, far from it. I know a lot of Todd/Tea fans and Todd/Blair fans and so on, who remember RH's Todd history as though it were photographic memory, and are disgusted by the idea. But let's look candidly at where a lot of this talk comes up - places like Soapcentral, home of a heavy Evangeline fanbase which was all for "Tangeline." With her gone it's now "Anybody But Blair" mode, and if that anybody happens to be Marty, well, they say: "It's not RH, so it didn't happen; she has amnesia so it's not bad; Blair is old and mean."

Not all their fans or any Todd fans are like this, but I've noticed the trend. So much of this disgusting new "fanbase" is about winning an old, tired argument against something else entirely.

• Members

You really want to make this about Evangeline? A character who's been gone for two years and isn't even mentioned anymore? Or Tea?! Talk about an old, tired argument.

This has nothing to do with Evangeline or Tea or even Blair. None of those characters register with that fanbase. Tea, Evangeline and Blair are part of Todd's history. The Todd/Marty hookup crew not only doesn't care about history, in fact they actively avoid it. I'm willing to bet that a good number of the people clamoring for Tarty are also part of that younger demo that OLTL was doing so well in. IMO, Tarty fans are a breed in and of themselves. They just think Todd and Marty are hot and are willing to disregard anything else to see them hook up. That's it. This is the OTH/Gossip Girl contingent and they simply don't give a damn.

• Members

I'm definitely among the (almost) anyone but Blair contingent. Not because I think Blair is old or ugly, but because it's time for Blair to grow up and learn her lesson. This is the same reason I didn't like Tangie, they would have really had to dumb Evangeline down to put her with someone like Todd. Todd needs someone like Tess or like Blair was 10 years ago, but it's time Blair moved on. Especially since Todd is about to

Some will say it's time for Todd to grow and change too, but I'm not interested in seeing that happen. Someone has to cause trouble and drive the drama and I prefer long term bad boys to the villain of the month that so many shows have.

• Members

The group you mention definitely exists, I'm not saying it doesn't. But you also have a lot of people on boards like that which I mentioned whose fanbase hopes went from [Lady X] to Marty like that. I don't want to make this about Evangeline or Tea, as I think many of the Tea fans at least are intelligent enough to know better; their knowledge of Todd's history (which is not to say that T&Bers don't know it too) is a point of pride for them. But I've noticed the pattern with certain fans from a certain fanbase, and I'm not the only one. For a few too many people to my liking, it seems to have become, "My favorite's gone, so here's....Marty. His rape victim!" I would hope the rest of the Evangeline fans have more sense. If I were to pretend this phenomenon does not exist for the sake of an apolitical stance, I'm sure we'd all get along better. But since we're on the topic, and people have seen it, it deserves to be mentioned, and condemned.

Archived