Y&R: Week of September 1, 2008

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And how I miss the days when poorly developed newer characters didn't lead the entire show, when camp was used for fun purposes, not serious ones, and when storylines actually made a lick of sense. Whatever Alden's contributions are, it seems to me that show took B&B's worst facets and highlighted them, and it's showing just how overrated she is.

• Members

Welcome Snickerdoodle! It's a pretty happy bunch here at SON, hope you feel welcomed.

I like a lot of what you said, especially about Phyllis, that character has been slaughtered. I love Kay Alden...but she's done with Y&R...I can now concede that she's a worker bee...so what we saw during her reign at Y&R was still a lot of the late great Bill Bell. In the same way, the things people dislike at B&B (which I happen to enjoy) are due to Brad Bell. I think Hogan Sheffer and MAB have done a decent job...Josh Griffith is a bad joke...I say keep Hogan and MAB on board, they're getting into their groove.

I'm loving the show right now.

• Members

I hate short weeks. Especially when it's pre-empted for tennis. Blah.

I did enjoy all three days this past week. I enjoyed all the Nick/Sharon and Noah stuff. I have to assume that making such a huge deal about him attending public school can only mean there will be a problem. Although I think it would be nice if there wasn't...at least not right away. I like that Nick and Sharon took the time to listen to Noah and consider what he said. Parents who care about their child....strange thing to see on daytime.

And I know everyone here adores EH...as an actress, she's ok with me...but I HATE Chloe. I mean I hate her. (And no I'm not a Cane and Lily fan either. ) She has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. If they want her to be bad, fine...make her bad. But at least attempt to make me understand why she's bad. Being the maid's daughter just doesn't cut it as an excuse for her behavior to me. Make her multi-dimensional. So far all I've seen is this horrible bitch that doesn't give a damn who she hurts. I want to find the character interesting, but so far....I just don't.

I thought EB was brilliant this week. No one does pissed off quite as well as EB when Victor gets in one of his moods. Are we sure Victor isn't manic depressive like Sonny on GH? I think I enjoy the character more when he's being an ass that I do when he's all nice to everyone.

It has been ages since I've been excited about watching the show, but I am looking forward to next week. The spoilers coming out are all very interesting and make the show sound like must see TV once again. I hope the trend continues. :)

• Members

And there aren't still signs of incestuous overtones on the show? What about the Bridget/Nick/Katie story, with Nick yet again professing his love for Bridget while claiming to have love for another woman in her family? And hasn't Donna upped the ante even more of the old time stories with Logan women sleeping with Forrester men? The overtones are still there, just with different players.

As for dropped storylines, how about Jackie buying Spectra? Or Brooke's rape, which was driving the story a year ago only to now be a footnote that's barely even mentioned? And unless something changes, even the recent Beth Logan story seems to be headed to dropped status soon given the lack of airtime it gets.

And instead of everything revolving around Brooke, instead everything revolves around Donna and Katie. Except the difference is that while the two younger Logan sisters have their roots in B&B's past, they don't have the history on the show that their big sister does, so their being shoved onto the front burner over long running characters isn't going over very well with a lot of fans.

But to bring this back to Y&R, I think the kind of stories B&B has been telling since Alden came on staff at least suggests that she's better suited to Y&R. Alden worked on Y&R for more than 30 years before her being ousted under Lynn Marie Latham. She was there through the heydays of all the veteran characters and was Bill Bell's right hand during the creation of others. But on B&B, she doesn't have that history, so stories focus more on members of a family that other than one member hadn't been at B&B's core in years, and the focus on fashion, long a hallmark of B&B, is gone. I know there's some differences of opinion on this board as to whether or not Alden should ever go back to Y&R, but IMO, at least on Y&R she'd be working with what the show was all about in the years she worked on it, whereas she's taken B&B away from it's core.

• Members

I totally agree. Amelia comes across as so dull. She is not Victoria.. she just does nothing for the part. and her and JT have got to be the most boring couple on tv.. I sure hope they have more chemistry in the real world compared to the reel world.

• Members

they are the most boring part of the story..Chloe is the only interesting thing to that duo. Ck really is not an actor. She needs to go to a disney channel or something cuz drama is not her forte'.I agree I want it revealed that Billy is the father too so we get Chloe away from the weakos. She is much to strong of a character to be around dumb and dumber.

Totally agree with all of your post.. less cane and lily and more chloe

• Members

INCREDIBLE week of Y&R. I don't remember wanting to see an episode more than I did on Tuesday night, when Victor walks in on them. My lord! SO Good! I got chills. I love it when I get chills LOL. I wish they'd kept him off the canvas a bit longer, though. But oh well. I'd love to see what he has in store for Nick and Victoria and Nikki and Adam. And I'd love to see what Adam will do and if he'll care and if he'll seek revenge. Woot woot!!

As for Chloe, I'm so glad that the writers put her in the mix of the Chancellor story AND provided some background info on her FINALLY! I had been waiting for that since she came on. The fact that she was fat, had glasses, and huge braces makes her hatred for Lily so much more potent. And the fact that she chose Cane to fall in love with, out of any rich dude, I mean, that's the son of the woman her mother hates. She's totally getting back at Jill for treating her mom like ish.

My favorite scene of the entire week with Chloe, though, was when Esther shows up at Crimson Lights with her maid's outfit on. I mean, I would be mortified too and I don't have half as much issues as Chloe does. Anyway, I liked it because it showed her insecurities. For the first time, we're able to see what makes this girl tick. And when she told Esther she wanted to provide her mom with a better life, Esther turns her down, and Chloe's all like, "Screw you! I'm getting mine!" I really appreciate that honesty. The WHY has been answered. I'm so glad the writers had set up her character this way. Hopefully, as mentioned before, she won't be crazy, because I'd like to see her for a long time.

And either CK gets a BACKBONE, Davetta returns, or another strong actress replaces dull-eyed CK, because I'm dying to see Chloe and Lily go at it for years and years. That'd be real juicy.

Hot damn the other storylines are boring boring boring!!!!

I've never been a fan of Amber and Daniel. There simply wasn't enough angst between those two. I think that kind of relationship would work better on a primetime show not on daytime when things are supposed to be super-duper intense.

Phick, Sharon and Jack, I don't really mind. They've all been on the canvas so long that I'm used to them being dull. Restless Style was a bad idea but i don't think it's the worst storyline on the show. And if the writers tapped into Phyllis's and Sharon's bitter disgust for each other more then I think it'd be a great atmosphere for cat fights. Nick and Jack, though, don't belong in this office space as much.

If there are other stoylines that i'm forgetting, they must be really dull LOL. But all in all, Y&R was pretty damn entertaining this last week.

• Members

Oh my God, Kay/Jill fighting over Chloe, Esther fighting with Jill, Jill coming to tears because Cane reminded her of their history, Chloe trying to hide Esther, Chloe calming herself down and then barging into the Chancellor Estate to announce that she is moving in.... God, that woman did excellently against JC and JW. I hope the focus now shifts to the Chancellors. It was SO nice to see Jill and Kay having a valid reason to fight again.

And I liked the Victor stuff. I liked the way Adam jumped when he saw Victor, him getting Neil back, firing Adam, and the cliffhanger with the great music....

But am I the only one who thinks the writers are on drugs? About 4 episodes' worth of stuff happened in just one hour. And the pace has been frenetic for weeks (slower, but still crazy). Why did Victor have to come back so fast? Then again, there is no other major storyline to show. Just like B&B: Two big stories, so they have to show them all the time. I just hope they don't butcher Chloe's stay at the Chancellor mansion. I'm glad they're not turning her psycho.

• Members

Sorry, but I just have to reply to this.

Davetta Sherwood was the most lifeless, wooden actress I have ever seen on Y&R. She was even worse than Heather Tom's 1997 replacement, Sarah Aldrich. No wonder TPTB were trying to get Christel back the whole time Davetta was there. I find it hard to believe anyone can call Davetta a "strong" actress.

And that was my pro-Christel/anti-Davetta rant for the day.

Archived