AMC : Kendall OUT?

• Members

It seems unthinkable, but Alicia Minshew (Kendall Hart), an actress who has been on AMC's front burner for nearly four years, could soon be leaving All My Children. Though Minshew is still very much a part of the cast at this time, insiders say that the sticking point right now is salary. Minshew took over the role of Kendall in 2002.

According to insiders, Alicia Minshew (Kendall Hart) could be poised to exit All My Children in the upcoming months. Nothing has been decided at this time, and talks between Minshew and ABC executives are said to be ongoing.

Mishew assumed the role of Kendall Hart, Erica Kane's eldest daughter, in January 2002. A newcomer at the time, Minshew had the difficult task of taking on a role that was created by Emmy-winning fan fave, Sarah Michelle Gellar. At the time, Gellar had gone on to star in the primetime series, Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, and was unavailable to return to daytime.

All My Children's writers embraced the idea having a new actress in the part and quickly seized the opportunity to take the character of Kendall Hart in a new direction. Kendall's long-running feud with her mother was put aside and the two quickly became a tight-knit mother-daughter combo.

Losing Minshew would be a huge blow to the ABC soap, as much of the show's story has revolved around Kendall in recent years. That may very well be one of the reasons that Minshew is mulling a leave. Minshew became engaged to boyfriend Richie Herschenfeld last year and, as one can imagine, the rigors of 12-hour workdays can make it difficult to enjoy time with one's loved one.

An insider tells soapcentral.com that the biggest sticking point in the contract talks is salary. All daytime drama series are feverishly trying to cut the fat from their operating budgets as viewers and advertising revenue continue to shrink. According to industry publication Advertising Age, advertisers spent $870 million to advertise on the soaps in 2007, a figure that is off about 10% from 2004.

Though Minshew has yet to be nominated for a Daytime Emmy, the actress has received Emmy "pre-nominations" from her castmates every year since 2004. Fans of the actress have helped vote her Outstanding Lead AMC Actress in soapcentral.com's Dankies Awards in each of the past three years.

Regarding her AMC future, Minshew comments, "We're in the middle of negotiations. I'm in the process of figuring things out and trying to make things work."

ABC does not comment on contract negotiations.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ROFLMAO!!!

Oh my God, a character that's "only" been on for four years might leave. Will the show survive?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I'm a Kendall fan (the REAL Kendall... and no, I don't mean SMG. I mean the scrappy, vindictive, hot-tempered outsider), but seriously - let's get a little perspective here. She's not Susan Lucci.

• Members

I dont think she'll leave. She'll probably get some sort of condition in her contract that allows her to work less or at least for them to be more flexible. Minshew isnt a strong enough actress to break out into primetime, IMO. Plus I think she could be the next Erica for AMC. They'll do what they can to keep her, and with the rumoured cast cuts they'll be able to keep her around.

Otherwise the show will recast and then a few months down the line Minshew will be back.

• Members

I love Alicia and her portrayal of Kendall. I think she is gorgeous and probably could do a lot and I wish her the best. I do have a feeling she'll end up back on AMC though. There are many other actresses, Emmy winners, that can't find work. You have to be very, very lucky.

• Members

She'll still be around. IMO, ABC can't afford to have another embarrassing situation by leting one of their top actresses go. She's made a lot of money for them selling The FUSION and that book, etc. They'd be crazy to let her go, IMO. I think it's all a ploy to get us talking.

• Members

If they just gave Alicia some damn vacation time, things would be alright. I'm sure her minimum isn't that high, so if they didn't use her EVERY DAMN DAY they wouldn't have to pay her so much money.

Give Alicia 3-5 months off, have her be presumed dead. Let Zach raise his children (because Ryan isn't Spike's dad in my universe) and mourn the loss of his wife and go after the people he holds responsible, only to have his world turned upside down when she's revealed to be alive, but doesn't remember the past 13 years and is still in love with Del! *ok, I was serious up until she comes back w/ no memory*.

Kendall can feel resentment for those she loved, under the impression they didn't look for her and has problems trusting them again. This could re-ignite the Erica/Kendall rivalry because Erica is tired of trying to make Kendall see that she loves her.

I dunno, just an idea.

Love my Lish, she better not leave. Though there was talk Tamara could replace Lish ( :wubs: both my girls)

• Members

She can leave and they can kill Kendall off for all I care. That character has been ruined in my eyes and along with the rest of the sextet, she's been way too overexposed.

In fact, I wouldn't mind killing off all of the sextet, so you know, the show could squarely focus on other characters for once. :rolleyes:

• Members

It would be way too much to ask for, if you ask me.

I've never liked Kendall. I started watching AMC as a regular viewer in 2004, and since then, I can't stand her.

I hope Minshew does leave, and she takes the character off canvas with her.

Archived