DAYS: Week of August 18, 2008

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Oh wow, I got bored with today's show really quickly! The directing, sets, and lighting were all great, but the story is really bad. And there's no suspense or humour, it wasn't fun at all. Plus, I don't understand why Nicole just goes into this film noir fantasy, and she wasn't even drunk! This is suppose to happen all week and they're not going back to the hospital? That sucks!

• Members

I agree, Toups.. but JUST TO BE POSITIVE (LOL!)... I thought this episode could EASILY be submitted for hair, make-up, wardrobe, lighting and (maybe) set design. But the first four, DEFINITELY. And they'd be a shoe-in for a nomination next year.

Of course, they might decide not out of ego and pettiness, since it was an Ed show. Stranger things have happened over there...

• Administrator

Oh yeah for sure, I definitely see these film noir episodes being up for a lot of tech awards. They will also have another "Ed show" in the plane crash episode to submit to the Emmys (at least for directing, possibly a best drama too).

• Members

I just finished and I liked it...It wasn't the most exciting episode, but it was a lot of fun and looked great..And a nice break from the norm...If there was ever a time to try something like this, a few days during the Olympics is the perfect time...Even though more people might be tuning in because it airs after the Olympics, NBC will most likely just consider these 2 weeks special programming..

I loved that Sami was a dimwit tart in Nicole's fantasy..Also Jay and James looked mighty fine in their suits..That white suit EJ was wearing looked great...The Phloe scenes were nice and these scenes showed those two still have chemistry..and i loved Nicole smothering Sami with the pillow at the end...With how annoying Sami has become at times, it was a great scene to see play out..

And Toups, this only plays out today and tomorrow...I'm pretty sure wednesday goes back to the hospital stuff..

• Members

I liked it. Allison Sweeney was the standout for me as the squealing low class nice broad with no luck. I loved everyone was smoking. I loved the smoldering look and hair of JKJ and I liked BD's narration. NB's singing though didn't do it for me. It was a little too slow and not really evocative of the period, where you expect slightly more jazzy uptempo numbers. AZ and JS were the weak links for me. AZ was fine at the very end and with some of her more harsh dialogue, but it wasn't working for me. JS started out real good as the confidant louse in bed, but by the middle he was just becoming boring. I just think at some point EJ was supposed to smash a grapefruit in Nicole's face and tell her to shut up or something. Or maybe that is eventually what Philip is supposed to do to Chloe. They are sort of mixing their stereotypes a little. Bryan Datillo is Bogart, but JKJ is Bogart too. AZ is not quite Bacall, but neither is anyone else exactly.

• Members

I thought it was a cute nice little break. Something special and stand alone for the most part. Ali Sweeney def stood out as the top actor in the bunch tho. I really thought Ari would be after she found out about the affair she wasnt so good. The only bad part, IMHO, was nadia singing. ugh.

glad its back to the hospital tho. And i do feel they shoulda done this in a reg episode and just cut it in. For example Nicole could start having this fantasy and then switch to a scene of Ejami; Chloe/Lucas; all in current time then back to nicoles fantasy. and she soulda been wasted.

• Members

I didn't like Part 2 as much as Part 1.

What the hell was Chloe singing? It sounded like something out of Sondheim and a musical from the 70s, not something out of 1942. The lack of Sami hurt the show I thought. I did like that true to genre it was a harsh morality tale and the femme fatale faced justice. The show though missed one of the main tenets of Noir, that the femme fatale is supposed to corrupt the guy and have him do her dirty work for her. That missing element sort of left Lucas with no role in the main story while being the narrator. And why would he be narrating Nicole's fantasy other than men usually narrated those films?

I give them a B for effort, an A for style, and a C for stubstance. A very enjoyable two days I thought but I want to get back to the hospital event also.

• Members

Wow, just finished the episode and loved it..First off kudos to Drake Hogestyn for showing just how different nu-John and old-John really are..He played those scenes so well..I'm seriously in awe at how well he did and he really proved to me that he's created an entirely new character...This episode really made me miss John, but it also made me excited for that potential moment when Old John will come back, which has to happen sometime for a payoff..

The Marlena and Sam scenes were enjoyable as well..I especially enjoyed the flashbacks, i barely recognized Deidre in those...And i loved Marlena telling Sam she would like John...Also the John and Marlena flashbacks they showed were a nice choice..Different from what we normally see..

And i'm very intrigued by whatever Stefano and Rolf have planned for Baby Joe...Days continues to impress me like it has the past couple weeks.

• Members

I was really disappointed with Deidre's Samantha. She didn't even attempt to change her voice or mannerisms. You'd think she'd have her sister down pat. The flashbacks of the real Sam made it even more painfully clear that they should've tried (harder?) to get Andrea. It wouldn't even matter if she looked different, since most identical twins don't look so identical for long.

Archived