Y&R: Would you like to see Niki fall off the wagon?

• Members

Agreed. Lazy writing is using new characters to redo a story you did a decade ago. Lazy writing is having someone suddenly become addicted out of nowhere.

In this case, substance abuse is a chronic condition. It never went away. They dallied with pill use at the tail end of the Bobby Marsino story...but Nikki went away on a cruse and when she returned it was forgotten.

This is a very appropriate time to show us that she is either strong enough to fight, or watch her plummet anew. Either angle is intriguing, because Nikki is NOT the same pampered housewife she used to be.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As long as Nikki is not rescued by TGVN, I'm fine with it. She deserves to enter the pantheon of Genoa City Troubled Broads that Gay Men Worship. Katherine already resides there. I believe she kicked her addictions without the aid of a passing One True Wuv.

• Members

This type of attitude destroyed the soaps. You're basically saying: More recycled stories! No matter how well-written - it's been done, they are recycled. It's lazy because it's easy.

And BTW - I wish Nikki jumped off a cliff in a nervous-breakdown-brought-because-of-alcoholism kind of thing. And never ever come back.

The most id!otic character ever. Played by the most annoying actress EVER.

Done. :)

• Members

Glad you are done.

I hate recycling soap stories as much as you.

But dealing with a chronic condition on a continuing drama is NOT recycling. Indeed. soaps/serials are the rare form that can do justice to such a thing.

• Members

Mark, it's just a cr*ppy story for any soap, especially one as campy as Y&R can be. Alcoholism is so eighties!

Unless, of course, Nikki jumps off a cliff or has a car crash or something like that.

The most annoying character ever. And that whiny voice does not help.

• Members

Slyph are you kidding me? Alcoholism is so eighties? This is a problem that MANY people have to deal with. This character has a history of abuse. It makes sense for her to downward spiral (or be tempted to).

I don't understand how you can say alcoholism is so eighties.

• Members

Long Day's Journey into Night.

I mean, the tales that can be told around substance abuse.... I'm dumbfounded that this might be viewed as anything but potentially great. My pic-at-left, though, clearly shows how I feel :).

Archived