BOLD Twist: Kay Alden promoted to B&B head writer!

• Members

IMO, I have a hard time believing that Bell would be responsible for these multiple health storylines simply because it's unprecedented in B&B history. There have been health storylines before (Macy's cancer, Taylor's TB, Steph's stroke), but it's comparatively rare and I can't think of any time when so many were going on roughly around the same time. It just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would interest Bell.

I also have a hard time believing that Kay's style will lend itself to B&B. Her style was slow in the first place and B&B has half the time to tell these stories. It would just automatically make all stories twice as long in addition to already existing slowness.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In a perfect world, the excitement and camp Brad can bring to B&B (and often has) would mesh greatly with the slower pace, far more rational, human stories that Kay can bring to the table. Kay would get to make Brooke the way she was during the strike (the first time in years that I really liked Brooke). Brad would get to relax and have a little more time to think up stories. Kay would allow Brad to do his naughty cliffhangers and Brad would let Kay handle their pairings. A dreamer's world. The truth is that Kay would be an 100% fit for Y&R, even though I like this move.

• Members

Well it was about time,I´ll say.Brad has had far to many years to trash this show with his incest,degrading of women and use rape as some casual thing.Plus perhaps now B&B can hire more male actors for the starving women on there.I do´t miond Katie,I think HeTh is a great actress,it´s the writing that $ucks,it $ucked before Katie got major story so..

• Members
Let's get the press release correct, folks. Alden wasn't "snapped up" by B&B after being fired from Y&R and as an ABC consultant. In SOD, she admitted that, after not being picked up by ABC as a consultant (or as headwriter of AMC, she went to Brad and asked for a job at B&B. He didn't approach or "snap her up." She went searching for a job and he created a spot for her.

• Members
Correction: the character of "crazy Pam" was Brad's creation and Brad's alone. Kay wasn't even on the B&B writing team when Pam was first introduced, then later reintroduced. She may have played into the craziness of Pam during the strike, but Pam isn't her creation in the least.

• Members

The thing I'm curious about is why Michael Minnis wasn't promoted to co-head? He's been with the show as an associate headwriter much longer than Alden. She hasn't even been there a year. I'd love to see what he'd do with the show. Alden's old hat. We all know the kind of drawn out stories she tells, not to mention the repetitive scenes and dialogue. I'd love to see what another member of the Bell team would do. Minnis seems like the logical choice.

• Members

Yeah, I keep wondering why they don't go with anybody from the times when B&B was, you know, actually good? Like in the mid and after mid 90s or early 2000s. Both Smith and Alden are relatively recent people (at least compared to B&B's overall history) and precisely the recent times haven't really convinced me too much in the writing department. Nor does it seem to convince the viewer judging by the not awful, but not great, falling togeether with everybody else ratings.

• Members
If Brad was upset that B&B hit a new low recently, how does he figure promoting Alden will change anything? The show's rating have continued to drop since she joined B&B. She hasn't stopped the bleeding. She hasn't brought the ratings up. And for those that say B&B's ratings are tied to Y&R's sagging ratings, that just doesn't hold water. OLTL generally does better than its lead-in AMC. If B&B were a really strong show, it would hold its audience, or build in it, despite Y&R's rise or fall.

• Members

Nope, you got me wrong. Brad's Pam was a loving Doris Day.

After Alden joined B&B Pam returned for Stephanie's shooting and was suddenly the CrazyAss she now is and especially was during the strike when ALden was head-writing for Jack Smith's scripts...

I love both incarnations of Pam because Alley Mills is damn fine.

@ Nicknack: Jack Smith is far from being a recent hiring. He was a pivotal part of B&B's history and success 1987 - 2002 as script writer, breakdowner and eventually co-headwriter...

• Members

Jack Smith didn't go fi-core (LIKE ALDEN), so he wasn't writing scripts during the strike. He wasn't hired by B&B until March or so. As for Smith being a recent hire, of course he is. He's been away from the show for years. Yes, he was with the show for a long time previously, but he's just scriptwriting at this point. He has no story input. He doesn't edit scripts (weird how the woman he replaced as HW at Y&R is now ediiting his scripts!), his input this go-round is marginal at best.

• Members

And this is for the best - him writing scripts or outlines. Because as a HW he's just lazy. He always seemed to start up stories with too much gusto and then lost steam as they progressed. So the end result was pretty unsatisfactory.

• Members

Hmmm ... I thought she was decent at Y&R (my only real complaint was that she made the women a pathetic mess and had everyone trying to get GoatDaddy's sperm), but if she's responsible for what's currently going on with B&B, ehhh. It's boring and loss all of it's fun and camp, and I highly doubt Brad Bell's writing style has suddenly changed.

Then again, I really liked May sweeps and a lot of the writer's strike period.

I think they problem is together, Brad Bell and Kay Alden are horrible, on their own, they are better. It think they've been struggling to find what works for the both of them and the result is what is airing right now.

I do like Kay Alden's influence on Steffy and Marcus, the slow pacing and all, but the medical storylines got to stop. The heart transplant story was really good (Kay Alden with little or no Brad Bell influence), the latest round of Logan drama not so much (Brad Bell's impatience with medical drama is showing).

Archived