Unpopular Opinions

• Members

- I think Gina Tognoni is overrated.

- I don't think Charles Pratt, Jr. nor Robert Guza, Jr. are hacks. They are imaginative -- they just need someone to keep them in control and give them a reality check when they need it. Reality in the realm of soap reality terms.

- I think GH fans are too damn loud at the Emmy's.

- I blame both Eden Riegel and ABC for the whole Bianca situation these last four years.

- I don't know if I said this before in this thread but I liked the stedicam on AMC.

- I think Darnell Williams (Jesse, AMC) and Sabine Singh (ex-nuGreenlee, AMC) studied at the "LOOK AT ME! I'M ACTING, HERE!!!" school of drama.

- I don't feel sorry for Guiding Light's cancellation, but felt sorry for Passions' cancellation.

- I think Y&R is incredibly pretentious and stuffy.

- I wish fans on message boards would at least be upfront about their biases and agendas. We can see that the damn emperor isn't wearing any clothes, people.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they are the definition of mediocrity. They have an episode of brilliance followed by 50 episodes of dreck, horror and hackdom. And I kind of think soaps as they are — aren't really their thing. They constantly want to change it to suit some kind of their own vision of what daytime should be. And it's not working.

I agree RE: Guiding Light. However, care to elaborate on Passions?

Yup. It is.

• Members

The Passions thing was that, while it definitely wasn't my cup of tea, it never had its chance to shine. It was basically a running joke for its entire run. All the other shows -- including GL, have had their moments of greatness or golden eras.

Basically, it was a "feeling sorry for the underdog" thing. That's all. They should've ended the show in a cast sing-along, "We tried our best / But we guess our best wasn't good enough..."

• Members

Bwah! While rubbing your feet on a particularly hirsute Thorsten Kaye shag carpet?

Bingo! I feel like Guza wishes he were helming 24 (good luck with that pipe-dream, buddy). Meanwhile, he is writing the soap he cut his teeth on into the ground.

The thing with Passions was... it wasn't a soap. It was a parody of a soap. James E. Reilly's cosmic joke on a prudish, humorless, snobby Daytime.

And as for JER's so-called "Catholic" agenda... Before ATWT, before AMC's "our lesbians are hotter!", Passions showed two men getting it in with little-to-no fanfare. Two AA men, to be precise. One who turned out to be a vengeful hermaphrodite but whatever.

:huh: I thought it was evident what most of our biases and agendas were. I mean, at times, it is as aobvious as somebody's username. :lol:

• Members

It's a message/discussion board. Of course most of us are fans of at least one show, and/or of at least one storyline or actor.

So, of course, people are going to bring that "I love..." stuff here. Why is that a problem? Just wondering, not questioning the opinion.

• Members

Yes, Guza wants to turn General Hospital into 24 and Pratt Jr. wants to turn All My Children into Melrose Place, Daytime Edition. Wrong! It can't be done.

Guza has completely transformed GH into a full-speed, mob-infested horror of a soap! To think, for example, that he changed the number of scenes from 18–20 in Clarie Labine's era into almost 40 is unbelievable! That sort of pace cannot be kept steady, it screams "crash & burn in no time". Unsustainable.

I'd love to see him paired with Maria Arena. :lol: Super-speed Guza & Lethargy Maria. Ka-boom!

Sadly, Hogan was supposed to speed up or somehow modify the pace of Y&R stories but so far — I see more Scott Hamner influence and zero Hogan.

• Members

I'm not saying it's a problem. I'm saying ADMIT THAT YOU'RE BIASED! ADMIT that you're going to talk trash about Tad every single time he's onscreen because you're a David fan and Tad can do nothing right ever. I do! ADMIT that you'll use any excuse in the book to get Pratt fired because Amanda's your favorite character and he made her pregnant with David's baby. Don't couch it with claims of whitewashing and propping. ADMIT that you'll excuse Sam for the same actions you hold Liz accountable for because you simply hate Liz and like Sam. ADMIT that you think someone's a hack -- not because they lack storytelling abilities but because you just don't like the kinds of stories they write!

That's where I was coming from with my unpopular opinion. And I consider it "unpopular" because when it gets brought up, it has the possibility of being labeled as "fan baiting." :rolleyes:

Archived