The Doctors

• Members

I just got a membership on RetroTV to watch The Doctors & I'm liking it a lot so far.  I like Rita Lakin's writing style. It's barebones but also crisp somehow. Nick seems so pompous. I actually prefer Dr. Rice over him. I gather Nick was a fan favorite but so far, I can't stand him. Will he evolve over time, or does he stay as unlikeable as he appears to be right now during the tale of knocked up Althea?

Speaking of Althea, Elizabeth Hubbard is just so good. I can see a little of Lucinda in her but yet the character is different enough from her ATWT one that I don't get them confused. I really like Maggie. Bethel Leslie is in the role right now and I am going to hate to lose her in the next several months or so.

Great show! 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I feel like Nick is a similar character to Jack Fenelli on Ryan's Hope - he's gruff and blustery but that's just a cover for his soft, gooey inside.

Please register in order to view this content

Liz Hubbard really is great in the role and I agree - she's different than Lucinda other than whatever part of both roles are "her" that she put into them. I hope you enjoy watching the show. Am currently in Aug '69

• Members

I'm in June 1968. Nick has gotten way more tolerable. It starts in April 1968 with he teams up with Althea on the Lila Anderson case, and then especially in May 1968 when he helps Althea with runaway Penny. From May 1968, Nick and Althea are gold, the best part of the show!

Karen has gotten more tolerable too, especially from May 1968.

The only one I haven't come to like yet is Steve. So far, he's just a callow ladies man. It seems like they are setting him up to be killed by one of the unstable ladies he messes with. In the 5/30/68 episode, he flirts/messes with Liz, Penny, and Karen. Nurse Wheeler gives him dirty looks too; seems like she could be another potential suspect! 

May 1968 is not complete on the website. The episode labeled May 29, 1968 is really from June. The real May 29, 1968 was aired on Retro TV, but so far is not on the site.

• Members

I've put the show off for over a year because I was struggling with the storylines, but I've decided to commit and try to get through 1972. I know The Pollock's were successful on the show, but I find their work so mediocre compared to what came before. Very slow and plot driven and far too many flashbacks. Right now I can't say there is one story I enjoy. The one that drives me the most insane is this story with Maggie and her visions and mysterious illness. I hope that once this story wraps up the show will become more enjoyable for me.

• Members

from richard rote’s ny times obit. 

richard roat obit

Mr. Roat played Dr. Jerry Chandler during 172 episodes of “The Doctors” and told The Portland Press Herald that he felt grateful for the opportunity to act regularly.

There’s room for less than one percent of the new actors in nighttime television,” he said. “Unless you’re a ‘regular’ and get a running assignment for a season-long series, your chances in nighttime television are practically nil.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm glad I picked up my watch because it seemed the show drastically improved right at the point I'd left off. The Maggie story I hated was quickly ended and the Karen story was coming to an end. I LOVE Karen, but it was no fun having her basically play the same story being in love with Matt and I HATE seeing her portrayed as a villain having seen Steve rape her. I know it's a sign of the times, but him raping her and her being forced to marry him for Erich has always soured me to Steve, no matter how much they try to act like he's a good guy. If that's how Karen is going to be written, I'm happy she's gone. 

In recent episodes Mona has arrived. I LOVED her from the start. The actress is fantastic and has a great look. I can't wait to see what she brings to the show long term. I love her dislike of Carolee and speaking of mothers, I've appreciated all of the Emma this year. Emma and Carolee have such great chemistry and I also have enjoyed seeing Emma date and also Emma with Mona. I can't wait for Billy to return so I can see how he interacts with Mona. Another great story is the John/Althea/Nick triangle. Althea is being a complete idiot when it comes to John, but she tends to be like that in relationships so it works for me. The Cathy aspect of the story is also great. I like the recent recast who seems more twisted. I imagine this character must be reaching a climax soon and this new actress seems like she'll handle that well.

The lab crew has been great this year as well. I was initially disappointed they dropped Toni's search for her mom for this Vito story, but I actually like Vito. I love that Martha see's right through him and won't stay off his neck. Mike's dislike of him makes perfect sense and I hate how wishy washy Toni is in regards to Vito. On one hand she see's that he's trying to break her and Mike up, but then she pulls back and falls into his traps. She needs to keep her head on straight before she's single. The only area of the lab I'd like to see improved is more Hank. I know my hopes are limited since it's a Black character in the 70s, but the actor is so good so I welcome any chance to see more of him.

• Members

1972 sounds interesting. I'm not sure I'll ever get to those shows, but we'll see.

I'm really enjoying 1968!! It really is a privilege to be able to watch any daytime show from this period, practically complete, considering how much was destroyed.

I just finished June 1968. Unfortunately, 6 episodes from June are missing on the site, 5 of which did air on Retro TV.

6/17/68 -- never aired on Retro; either missing or does not exist; perhaps there was a pre-emption that day

(Imdb says the missing episode or preemption occurred on 6/6/68, the day of the death of RFK)

6/20/68 -- Penny writes a letter to Nick

6/24/68 -- first appearance of Zeida Coates as Anna

6/25/68 -- Matt says "Karen" in his sleep

6/26/68 -- fall out between Matt and Maggie

6/28/68 -- Nick and Ed go for a drink

If they ever update the site, I hope they get around to adding these episodes.. 

June was a good a month. The only complaint I have is with Matt. He's supposed to be the moral anchor of the show; to have him suddenly notice another woman and end up kissing her in an elevator after given no evidence at all that he was unhappy with his wife; all that felt wrong. It felt like the writing was missing a beat. It seemed like James Pritchett was confused too, not sure as to how to play it; he just comes off as closed and grumpy throughout. 

Edited by Jdee43

• Members

I hear ya. I'm in the same boat. I've taken a long break as well around the same story time...Maggie thinking she's dying. I think Marc Alaimo (who I love on Deep Space Nine) is about to reappear as Frank. Also been about as long since I've watched Dark Shadows (in the middle of the Adam storyline). I did tend to ff some...Maggie's stuff is pretty repetitive and I just find Mike an annoying man-child. Not sure when I'll start up again, though...I've been trying to get a couple of online businesses going.