The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Its possible the small networks (like RetroTV) are able to pay so little for programming that it would not be worth the effort and expense involved for the production companies to syndicate the old soaps.   Contracts (depending on the age of the episodes) might require residual payments to actors, directors, writers, set designers, etc.  Plus there are the expenses connected with preparing the old episodes for broadcast on today's technology.  I know many of these sub-networks (like RetroTV) pay very little for their programming.  That's one of the reason Retro airs so much material that is in the public domain.   If the production companies cannot make a substantial profit, they likely are not going to invest in syndicating their old soaps.   

• Members

Sony is notoriously bad in terms of leveraging the old Columbia/Screen Gems assets (“Days of Our Lives” was originally from Screen Gems) because they don’t want to pay for new prints. There are a couple of seasons of “The Donna Reed Show,” which have never been syndicated or released on DVD because Sony doesn’t want to be bothered with transferring the old elements. Same thing with “The Farmer’s Daughter”, a sitcom from the 60s that Antenna TV licensed a few years ago. But when they found that the syndication prints from the 80s weren’t usable, they weren’t willing to pay to strike new prints.

That doesn’t speak well for Sony ever doing anything with the old DOOL or Y&R episodes, other than an occasional one-off special.

• Members

Retro has been digitizing the episodes for The Doctors themselves so that shouldn't be an issue.  The actors from The Doctors are not getting residuals.  Don't know whether shows airing past the 80s would have a different arrangement though.  Also, music from the original artists has played in the 60s and 70s episodes, e.g., Simon & Garfunkel, Jimi Hendrix, Nilsson, etc.  Even Melba Moore performing "live" on the show wasn't cut.

• Members

Still a spinout for me seeing Alec Baldwin and Kim Zimmer together in a daytime soap storyline!

I’m obviously relatively new to the Doctors because this is the first time I’ve ever seen Kathleen Turner in action as Nola. In the short scenes she had in that episode, I can tell she had the same energy about her as Kim Zimmer did when she took over the role, which I imagine would have made the transition appear rather seamless (but any long time viewers are more than happy to correct me on that).

Original recipe Nola was totally different. The first Nola was a tough scrappy street wise survivor . Nola was the second oldest of a large and poor Irish Catholic family. Once KT took over. The writers changed Nola's personality. Nola became arrogant, materialistic and devious. KT did her best with a lot of subpar material. KZ merged the two previous versions. While adding her own spin to the character.  

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Yes! I think Lauren White's MJ would have worked well with Colin. The story was already moving in the direction of pairing the two characters off, but LW left the show just before it happened. LW brought both a warmth and strength to the character that just wasn't there with the recasts. Carla Dragoni and Kathy Glass tried, but they just weren't MJ. Then again, LW is that rare breed of soap actress who had chemistry with practically everyone she worked with on TD - friends, family, love interests, hospital colleagues. 

To continue with this analogy, KG had chemistry with two Mikes - John Shearin and James Storm - but not much with PE. It just goes to show that one never knows about actors and chemistry.