The Doctors

• Members

Poor Marie. Hopefully they will do another live chat where Marie can participate glitch-free!!

It was definitely fun learning that Adrienne Barbeau of Maude fame was up for the part of Toni Ferra Powers. (I cannot see her with Peter Burnell at all.) I also didn't know that Jonathan Frakes and John Shearin were roomies - and that JF used the stories JS had told him about Vietnam for Tom Carroll's PTSD. It was eye-popping to hear that Billy's life was normal compared to David Elliott's real life. 

I agree that the questions were all over the place and that Alan Locher should have done more research on the show, the actors he had on and their characters. MJ and Tom never had an abortion story - she was never even pregnant. I wish Frank and Jonathan had been asked about the fire at Andre's story, and how Jonathan felt about being killed off. I also wanted to hear more about the cast members no longer with us - JP, LB, DOB - especially because each actor in the chat had worked with all of them. GG got a shout out from Anna, and so did Sally Gracie. Meg Mundy was briefly mentioned. Anna was asked about Peter Burnell and she remembered him warmly.

Oh well, maybe if they have another live chat those questions can be addressed. It was a fun and enjoyable chat overall - and Frank looks and sounds exactly like he does in the reruns except for the hair. He is a silver fox!!!!

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Tom being divorced was part of the character’s backstory. he lied to his wife telling her that Huntington’s disease ran in his family and convinced her to abort their baby so the child would not have the illness. It was a lie as he was not a carrier and only worried he would abuse their child if it lived and did not want to be a parent. 

• Members

That was great!! I could listen to their stories all day. It was fun learning from Anna Stuart that aside from Adrienne Barbeau, the other runner-up for the role of Toni Ferra was Jennifer Darling. Jennifer Darling was married at that time to Paul Henry Itkin, who would join TD about a year later as Toni's ex-boyfriend (the lecherous Dr. Vito McCray). She went on to a recurring role on "Eight is Enough" and a prolific career doing voiceovers.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

I was watching the SNL episode from 2012 that Maya Rudolph hosted. She was in a talk show sketch where the joke was basically that black voters would support Obama no matter what. Her character was named Althea Davis. It was probably just a coincidence, but knowing The Doctors was taped at 30 Rock, it still made me smile.