Neighbours: Discussion Thread

• Members

But the daytime Emmy’s is an american thing. Would not make sense. Then they should include home and away too

(spoiler… Thanks Instagram

Please register in order to view this content

)

They killed off David. Yay another soap-gay pairing that ends in tragedy… yawn

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I concur. Imagine the general American public being choked by the fact an Australian soap won over their "faves" because they actually produced a SOAP! SO much praise for Thursday's episode... whew. SO much praise.

It's because Neighbours now produced by Amazon MGM Studios, which is an American-owned and operated company. Therefore, per NATAS rulings, it does qualify for the Daytime Emmys. So, it would make sense, and any soap opera fan should be happy for more soaps to be included. The amount of pull this could bring would be OUTSTANDING!

• Members

I tend to take them 2 at a time and try to average 2-6 per day when I watch, which hasn't been often lately with work, life stuff and other soap binges. But I'n watching it as we speak! I agree with others that J.J., etc. are really strong.

• Members

Granted I am many, many episodes behind so things may well have changed with these actors/characters, but bear with me:

• I still can't decide if the kid playing Nell has any talent or is just that painful to watch. Her monologue about her dead mother with the therapist several episodes back was not bad, but in virtually every other scene (including some of that monologue) she is smirking and squinting her way through all her dialogue and while I assume they found this to be naturalistic it just makes me want to run her over with a car.
  • Haz is a very attractive man who is also, unfortunately, one of the corniest dudes alive, even by the standards of a clearly very family-oriented Aussie soap. I'm so sick of hearing about the exploits of his cute dog. I won't be shocked if the dog starts gaslighting Mackenzie as the storyline heats up.
Edited by Vee

• Members

You’re not alone in thinking this. She overacts in every scene she’s in unless it’s one that calls for “sad” acting. The squinting is particularly bad. Sadly, she does not get any better. Also, the tone of her line delivery is really annoying, with every line being said with such labour. 

That would be more interesting. 

Things definitely pick up with flashback week, especially with the returning characters it brings. 

• Members

I wouldn't even call it overacting! It feels like deliberately underacting constantly, all she does is squint, smirk and mumble in a very mannered way until the emotion comes out and even then it's not great. They clearly all think all her stylized performances are very naturalistic. I can understand that argument but i'm already tired of watching it and I am 40-50+ episodes behind.

• Members

She has this tendency to deliver dramatic lines like she's about to burst into tears. This happens over and over. It's unfortunate because on paper Nell's struggles were very compelling. 

Ryan Moloney has also delivered a number of howlers throughout this story. I don't know if you have gotten to the scene yet where Toadie is popping a squat while raking leaves and looking demented. Constipation/crazy eyes tend to carry the day. 

Overall, I think the revival has had a lot of good moments, but the Toadie/Mel/Terese/Paul story has consistently been the most difficult part for me to get through (along with Haz - I have no idea where you are in the story so I should save my ranting on that manchild).