Neighbours: Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I just watched Monday's episode. IMO, it was probably the best one of the new chapter so far. We got romance (Mike/Jane), romance with pathos (Mack/Haz), major revelations (JJ's secret), business drama (Reece vs. Paul was good. Yes, Mischa is low energy, but she does okay in scenes with Stefan Dennis and Tim Kano was there too, and he can elevate anything with his charm), and other plot developments. I really enjoyed it. Hopefully they can keep this momentum going.   

• Members

Mischa Barton is officially somnambulant to watch and seems haggard. Her strange array of Swiss Miss-esque outfits aren't helping. Some elements of the hotel story and others seem vaguely all-ages teen soap, which does again remind me of some of the early Prospect Park soap subplots over here (well, not the all ages part). There's nothing wrong with that but it becomes a bit uniform and you hope for stuff with a bit more substance. I need to catch up on the last two or so eps though.

• Members

It's great to hear that Neighbours is being watched in the US now! A while back I was wondering if Mischa Barton and some key cast members would be going over to North America to promote the show when it relaunched, but I guess the US writers' strike put paid to that thanks to talk shows going off air.

I wonder, have any US based members seen advertising for Neighbours over there? Here in the UK there were posters on bus stops all across the country, and also some billboards, I believe. 

On another note, I think the four eps per week model is a smart choice. We all have so many distractions available to us now that it makes it easier for new/lapsed viewers to pick up the habit of watching the show, IMO.

• Members

So, we are twelve episodes into the revival (a.k.a. three weeks) and I'm really enjoying the direction they've taken the series. And the four-day model is awesome. Loving the new family, and while I am enjoying the idea of Nell being an instigator to Terese, I hate that she is focused on Terese. And the twist at the end? I love it.

I recall a snippet in Soap Opera Digest, and that's about it.

• Members

I loved the little tribute to Lou in today’s episode. The love/hate relationship between him and “Jellybelly” was always a highlight to watch.

I can’t remember if they gave him a mention in the finale so this was nice to see.

Also I hope they’re not getting rid of the school. One of the best parts of the show was each time period having its own class of students. The Toadie/Billy/Anne/Lance/Hannah era of the late 90s, the Stingray/Dylan/Sky/Serena era from the early 2000s, Rachel/Declan/Donna/Zeke and occasionally Kyle when they needed a bully from the late 2000’s.

It wasn’t so great going through the 2010’s but I always thought it was an important part of the show.

• Members

Wait until you see her outfit on today's episode!

I'm enjoying the show overall, I think it's gotten better after a somewhat questionable choice of stories to focus on for that first week (namely, the Toadie/Terese marriage and how it was handled), but I would agree with the Prospect Park comment, especially when it comes to the hotel.

As one of the people who has no real knowledge of Mischa Barton beyond her tabloid travails (never watched much of OC), I haven't minded her in the role, but as the part starts to become more complicated you can see the flatness in the performance. 

I will say the new Byron is working more for me than he was initially, even if I still wish they'd managed to hang onto the first actor.