Neighbours: Discussion Thread

• Members

It definitely takes away the shows security, as on Ten, it always formed the majority of their local drama quota, but digital channels don't have such restrictions. In terms of the show, it will allow it to become PG rated, instead of G, which can only be a good thing, as long as Susan Bower implements it into the show.

I guess in the long run, it can't be a good move, unless it does exceptionally well in ratings/demos/audience share.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

In regards to the bold part, I do have to wonder if Aussie's do prefer the teen domination, to that of a more multi-generational cast. If they did, wouldn't the ratings be higher? Wouldn't it be the topic of conversation with teens? Wouldn't they actually think of it as being relevant, instead of obsolete? Packed To The Rafters is a multi-generational show and they pull in high numbers and is popular with all, so why change what Neighbours all ways was, for something that is new and clearly not working? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for that!

I think that can be taken as confirmation of her admitting the show was too teen-centric, and how she talked a load of BS when fielding this question during this time. But, I do agree with her, that this is a weird time to bring this question up, as the show has made an active attempt to address the teen issue, and the dumbing down of the show.

Interview with Carla Bonner (Steph)

Does anyone else thing that Carla's decision to leave was in part due to the storyline and the negative fan reaction to her character? Also, I'm unsure what to think of her exit being out-of-character - not that surprises me, but I hope the writing supports this kind of exit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

That is a shame that Zeke and Rebecca are being written out. At this rate by 2014 (assuming the show hasn't been cancelled by then but I do think it will be given a few years on Eleven) there will be no characters left over who joined during the 2000s just like how by 1994 all the eighties characters except Helen, a recast Julie and a recast Cody were gone (not including Lou in that list because his first stint in 1988 was short). Although at least this time we still actually have some characters left over from the nineties and Paul is back from the original cast.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Neighbours has really struggled with developing long term characters in the past few years after having great success with the likes of the Kennedys and the Scully's. So it really is a shame that Jane Hall (who seemed happy to stay put) and Matthew Werkmeister (who I'd hoped would stay for a bit longer as he has been there for five years despite making noises about leaving some time ago)

Won't really miss reacst Declan though

Edited by Dion

• Members

Helen was the older woman? She wasn't around long past 94 was she?

It doesn't make any sense to me to get rid of Rebecca. I think she still could have found a place even without Declan. She worked well with Paul and with Susan.

You also have to wonder how much more they can really get out of characters like Toadie or Libby.

• Members

Jane Hall chose to quit, so it's not like TPTB are writing her out. I always felt like she was going to be a main stayer, but I guess the move to digital had her rethink her time with the show. It's sad, and a real blow to the show, but that's life. Rebecca will be missed.

My guess is, that once Jane decided to quit, they decided to write out NuDeclan too, as he really isn't working as well as what he should have. I do like how her and Declan's exits will involve the returning Oliver & Carmella.

Zeke is a bit of a mystery, as it could've been his decision or TPTB's. I think he lost some fans during the time he dominated story with his rubbish love interests, and nonsensical moments in Sunny and Mia, which is probably why he's been a supporting character for most of 2010. I won't really miss him at all.

This, though, does present an interesting opportunity for the Kennedy's, as they're gonna be without any one to look after, and a good time for TPTB to move Chris into their care. But, it has been reported that the writers are struggling with long-term story for their first gay character outside of love interests and relationship angst, which I guess they don't want to tackle due to the classification restrictions.

These are definitely make or break times for show, as it will leave a lot of characters swinging in the wind. I do wonder how much longer Scott Major and Janet Andrewartha will stay with the show... and how much life Neighbours has left in it.

• Members

Me to. But, they never would've fired her. They know how popular Rebecca is, and the asset she was to the show. The move to digital was always going to cause some cast members to re-evaluate, considering it'll mean less exposure within the industry.

• Members

There wasn't really anything AFAICR. We knew about Eleven, and then one day there was the rumour that Ten were going be extending their news and revamping the pre-7pm timeslots, which they then assured fans that Neighbours was safe (remember, they issued that statement about their love for the show), and then suddenly, it was being moved. I'm not sure how far in advance the show knew, but they must have had a heads up, and heard whispers long before.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

No-one's posted in here for a while, so I'll give it a bump.

For those of you that are still watching, how have you found the show over the last couple of months? Say, since around the time Steph's secret was exposed till now.

I think they've demonstrated that they can tell good stories. The shows not perfect, but the fall out from Steph's secret has been big, and some of the best acting moments in soap from Kym Valentine and Carla Bonner. And its allowed for Sonya to come into her own, as one of the most level headed characters the show had had in years.

Got to say, Jane Hall is a treasure, and one I'm so sad the show will be loosing. Jane has played Rebecca's wrath of emotions with such nuance and ease, especially when Rebecca discovered Paul's affair, and most recently when she broke down in Lyn's arms. She deserves to be nominated and win a Logie, but they normally go to more younger and higher profile actors, which is a shame.

I don't think I've ever seen a soap portray a coma victim quite like Neighbours did today. Normally, the character wakes up, says/does something dramatic, then falls back to sleep, only to wake up again and be completely recovered. I liked how they put emphasis on the medical side, and had Paul unable to speak, and needing help with giving him water, wiping his mouth, and generally having his family be his nurse. I liked how they showed the reality with Andrew and Rebecca at the prospect of Paul needing long term care, and Susan's stunned reaction, when Paul got agitated and embarrassed with Rebecca's nursing. Stefan's doing an awesome job, as usual.

Sad that the show took another ratings dive last Friday in Oz, as it has been doing so well. It seems like most of Ten's line up have been doing badly, so not just Neighbours. But, when B&B out-rates it, there's definitely a problem. Shame Ten execs no longer care.