Neighbours: Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The episodes of the final season of The Leftovers which were shot in Australia are now starting to air. Just when I was starting to wonder if any former Neighbours actors would pop up there was Meyne Wyatt (Nate Kinski) on my screen. And one of his first lines was actually "I know Chris"!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

So Neighbours showed a scene of a woman sitting on a bench in a sunny park, a man comes up to her and asks if she's ok and she says yeah she's fine, she's just thinking about old times. She's wearing a white dress and her hair is styled like Dee's.

Could it be the real DEEAL?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

What a stupid statement: He equated being 'normal' with NOT being effeminate or so-called flamboyant.

Please register in order to view this content

In other words, acting 'straight.' I think he was trying to say something like, just because you're gay, doesn't mean there's a specific way you should act (i.e. "effeminate") or something like that and he's right that TV almost exclusively features gay men who are, in some way or another, less masculine.

But the answer is NOT to create gay characters that ONLY 'act straight'. Yes, have a variety. Yes, do cast a gay man as a gay man. Yes, cast disabled people to play a disabled person's role. Yes, cast transgender actors to play transgender roles. What's so difficult to understand? It doesn't have to be ALWAYS but still...

What white, straight, good-looking male Wilson is saying here is that, by presenting all gay characters as straight, homophobia will be eradicated. Differences will be eradicated. How?

That being said, I do think he didn't mean it in a bad way.

Oh, boy. I'm not sure that's a good thing. I hope they used that break to plan things out/prepare. If there's no breaks in production, are we about to witness problems in quality? Hmmmm.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

258 episodes equals no time off at all, maybe 2 days the entire year though what do they mean by specials. The US soaps don't even air that many episodes a year. I actually welcomed the break, the four weeks was a bit excessive, but I liked having a week or two without the show. (I actually like scheduled breaks if they are a few days.)

• Members

I think it may be a shock to the system for the cast and the production team to lose their long end-of-year break, and it could make the show feel less special to viewers if it's on week in, week out.

BUT this is a massive vote of confidence in Neighbours and bodes well for the show's future. They must be so relieved. 

• Members

Exactly. It's not really the amount of episodes, it's that the creative team & production will now no longer have a break to rest/recharge/plan ahead, unless they rush production, which can come with its own set of issues.

It shouldn't be the end of the world & I see it as a positive thing, overall. I hope it's not the straw that breaks the camel's back or anything! lol