Neighbours: Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I haven't been here for so long! Don't know if I'll be back on a regular basis...

Just really wanted to give Carl a different perspective, as I don't really agree with Ed on many points.

I loved the Fake Dee story. Sure, I was super disappointed that she wasn't the real Dee, but I really loved the drama and the writing for everyone involved; it also helped give the awful surrogacy story some purpose and depth. There were actual cliffhangers and real shocks, something that I thought Neighbours had forgotten how to do. Madeleine West really infused depth and nuance to her performances, which made watching her all the more easy. It was a melodramatic story, but I feel like it worked. Not everyone was going to like it. Clearly it's been a success seeing as the ratings are up in both the UK and Australia.

I didn't like want they did to Sindi and Stu, who broke up off screen. They could have explained this more, but instead Sindi was treated as a plot device.

The episode that Sonya watched Toadie sleep with Fake Dee via Skype was shocking and surprising. The show hasn't  delivered that kind of episode for a long time. The acting has really improved, too. Scott McGregor (Mark) has really come into his own playing Mark's grief. I loved the scene where he told little Nell about his baby's death; it was so emotional and sad. So glad they didn't shy away from writing this; it showed maturity in the writing that Neighbours hasn't had for many years.

I don't feel the show relies too heavily on the past. I guess it just feels like that now with Dee's return and the Tanaka twins paternity being linked to a 1980s story. They reference and use the past brilliantly, I think, which shows good continuity.

I think the actor playing Leo can be ropey. He's OK with general material, but ask him to emote and he's not so good. David is better, but his coming out story is so under played. Kim's actor is the worst I ever seen. I don't care about who's their daddy, or the mess they've made of connecting them to the past in such a way that messes with continuity. Paul doesn't need any more children. They could recast the ones he has.

Love Aaron. He has so much potential, but it's wasted. It's like they can't see past him being gay, so he doesn't get much to do. I don't mind him being a social media manager, as it's a modern profession. He's also Toadie's legal assistant, and I feel that works, too, minus any reality of Aaron not having any qualifications to be a legal assistant. I can suspend by disbelief with that one.

Love Tyler, too. I also love his pairing with Piper. I'm a sucker for a good romance story, and theirs worked for me. They are a believable couple. He does need more to do outside of Piper, though.

Andrew Morley (Jack) is mediocre. He has chosen to play Jack in such a dull way, with no charisma at all. His acting choices are off the mark. Paige is one of my favourite characters, but she's stuck in this Jack story, wanting a man who treats her badly. Jack is a terrible character with no redeeming qualities. He relies on other people making the decisions for him. 

Edited by Ben

• Members

What do you think of Elly? I've heard she's not popular.

@Ben it's great to see you again (your avatar brings back so many good ED memories). What did you think of the old clips I posted? That reminds me - I got some Neighbours episodes from the late '90s...some are already on Dailymotion, the others I'm going to put up when I have time, if fans here would enjoy seeing them. 

• Members

Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply, well a day, but still, I have so much to say about Neighbours I could sit here typing away forever.

I don't disagree with Ben's points and I expect he has some differing opinions because I didn't elaborate about what I meant on certain points. As for the writers looking too much at the past, it's very much a recent observation I've made. In fact probably until the point Kim Taylor returned and they decided to make Ben a mechanic, I thought the balance was pretty much perfect. In the last 5 years they've used the past to great effect, bringing people back when necessary, leaving certain characters in the past who should be left in the past, and not bringing the returnees back for too long or too little. I've loved seeing Lucy, Clive, Kathy, Guy, Harold, Sarah, Angus etc. Using the past can certainly enhance stories and the show in general.

The problem I have is what they're doing (or not doing) with Ben. He's been one of my favourite character and when Angus was around last year, the group of Ben, Piper, Xanthe and Angus was one of my favourite teen groups of all time. But they've all suffered since Angus' departure. Strangely enough none of the regular teens seemed to get as much exposure and character development as Angus, who was a guest, but they at least seemed to have more prominence when he was around. I can't stand how nothing is done with Ben. He's a legacy character and they treat him like an extra. Then when they finally get round to giving his character something to do, they make him a mechanic which makes no sense for his character at all. He comes across as quite an unassuming, shy, creative kind of boy, who I would expect to want to pursue music, fashion or modelling. Yet they want to give him a career which couldn't contrast with his personality any more if they tried, all because his dad Drew was a mechanic. If it feels to me like they're compromising Ben's natural character development for the sake of history. To me it's more important to progress the current characters than trying to crowbar something from history into every aspect of the show. Drew was hardly a memorable character, Libby is but this is about Ben, not Drew or Libby. Other than that i'm very disappointed with how he's ignored in general anyway. I don't like how Ben and Xanthe's relationship doesn't receive any screen-time.

DRW50 - As you can probably tell from the EE thread, my opinions generally differ from most posters, and this is certainly no different in the Neighbours fandom. However, it appears that many people agree with me about this Ben situation, at least according to the Neighbours forums. The Kim story just seems strange to me. I do actually really love the fact that they've brought back a character from 1985, and I'm sure many others do, but us hardcore fans are probably only 0.0001% of the viewership so I fail to see how that benefits the show. Moreover, Kim was not a memorable character, she was never the strongest actress in the first place, so it makes little sense bringing her back  to the current show. I and the other nostalgic hardcore fans are probably willing to put up with the poor acting, but are the majority of the viewership? Who don't even remember Kim...They may as well have re-cast her with a better actress, but rather than that they could have left the story along altogether and introduced the twins with other stories, like David coming out. Their paternity isn't particularly exciting for viewers.

What would I change about the show?

I'd spread the stories among the cast more evenly. The Mark/Sonya/Toadie/Andrea storyline has been thrilling, but at the expense of other cast and their stories. The teen characters who used to be central to the show are now glorified extras and personally I would give them more air-time. This is the show that created my name-sake

Please register in order to view this content

Sky Mangel. I'd try and orchestrate Ben and Piper sharing more screen-time. I wouldn't pair them romantically as I'm aware the Typer fan base is quite large (much as I'd want to!) but both characters do come alive when they're together.

The next thing I'd probably do is match-make Elly and Mark, see how they go together, or axe her. I have a love/hate relationship with Elly. She had no chemistry with Ned, and pairing him with her really stifled his character. On the other hand, when Angus was crushing on Elly it really brought out the best in both characters, the Angus character is my favourite character from 2016. I love how he's Sarah's son - a lot of people complained about how unrealistic it was that Sarah would want Angus to stay with Karl and Susan while she got treatment for her Cancer - I don't agree. Karl and Susan have always been suckers for a kid in need, and Sarah loved Karl not only because he was a caring Dr, but also because he represented that loving, stable, comfortable life that she craved. Her wanting Angus to be raised by them felt natural to me, and was a great storyline. I think Jai was perfect for the role too. Anyway - I'm going off on a tangent - back to Elly, she seems to work or not depending on who she has screen time with. It's bizarre. She comes alive in scenes with either Leo or Mark, so I'd be happy to see her paired with either of them. Unfortunately she doesn't work with her ex who has just come back into her life, Finn. I think if it came to it I'd axe her and re-cast Libby Kennedy. It feels wrong that Ben is there without his mum, I'd try and get back Michala Banas who played Libby when Kym was sick, or re-cast altogether. As you know with the Martin and Michelle EE re-casts, I'm all for a good re-cast as I think the character is more important.

I'd also get some characters to return from eras which have been largely ignored. To me Steph's history/backstory feels largely ignored, so I'd probably try and get back the actors who played Michelle or Jack Scully, or have her brother Oscar come to stay. Even her father (re-cast) perhaps. It's been lovely to see Lyn so much the last couple of years but what about Steph's other family? I would have re-cast some of Lauren's kids or tried to get back Bailey

Please register in order to view this content

If I was in charge of the show I'd try and get the G rating ditched as it hampers the show. I'd like to see Sonya have a relapse, take drugs and get smashed  I don't want to see the show turn into EastEnders, but it'd be nice if they didn't have to skirt around issues. 

I'd axe Jack too, and introduce another early 20-something female for Paige to be friends with, and a teenage boy for Ben to be friends with (or re-introduce Angus). I find Ben isolated since Angus left. I think Amy deserves a story too.

Not sure what else I'd change at the moment but I'll have a think  I'm pretty tired right now

Edited by Edward Skylover

• Members

So Kim goes from a frightened girl who chose not to have sex even when considering getting birth control to a girl who was having sex with two men around the same time all while dating one of their brothers. No wonder her mother was so paranoid! I hope the retcon will be worth it in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Those episodes are no longer available anymore due to copyright  It started in 1985 so quite a few seasons. There are over 7,800 episodes. What would you like to know about it? It's a lighthearted show with a dramatic side to it, I'd say it's a family show, focused mainly on older people interacting with younger people. It's the best show!

Edited by Edward Skylover