Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The whole thing was stupid. A classic example of why soaps should not worry about being so damn self-aware. I really think Kate Oates never wanted Robert to be anything but a mustache-twirler and this was her way of cementing it before she goes. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The mirror scene should have been like that Peter Barlow moment where he's disgusted with himself after he's seemingly gotten away with being a bigamist. But I've read Chris Gascoyne himself is the reason that moment played that way, so I guess writers these days really don't have a clue.

• Members

I think they tried to do that in the scene with Robert and Victoria later on (for all the hate Victoria gets from the many disgusting fans this show has, she is one of the few sources of humanity left), but it was all half-hearted.

• Members

I've been putting some of the episodes that Youtube blocks onto Dailymotion. Here's the Zak/Lisa wedding one (how sad...). 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x43g4n6_emmerdale-january-28-1998-zak-and-lisa-dingle-wedding_fun

These are on Youtube (for now, anyway) and are worth a watch if you haven't seen them before. Paul and Diane return to his old Newcastle haunt and he finally tells her about his truly horrible childhood, being neglected by his mother and beaten by the father who was never a father to him in any way. It's probably Mathew Bose's best work as Paul. It also sets up his sister Sharon's arrival a year and a half later - that's good writing. 

Lots of really good scenes in here too with Viv and Donna tracking down Marlon and Bob before the cooking competition. Marlon acts like a twat, as is his wont, but he and Donna reconcile, with some genuinely nice scenes about Tricia and moving on. After rampant insecurities and a hair-flying scrap, Bob's new girlfriend (now Cathy on Corrie) sees the light and they break up so he can reconcile with Viv. Serving as the backdrop is the one and only Tony Christie, playing himself (and he's also an old flame of Diane's - these two episodes will really show you what a wonderful character Diane was and sometimes still is). The second one is a beautiful episode for Viv/Bob and Viv in general, getting the balance just right with her and showing what a special couple they were at their best.

One of the things I think Emmerdale and Corrie have lost in recent years has been their Northern identity, their bread and butter. And that identity really shines through here.

• Members

A lot of them claim she can't act or hate her for defending Robert. There was a lot of outrage from these types of fans when she dared to be upset that Robert was shot and when she blamed the Whites, then Aaron. These fans can go gaga over a serial rapist but have no time for her. 

• Members

So I went to Digital Spy to see what type of reactions there were to the "twist," as I was wondering what collective opinion was. I got about what I expected - someone who said they quit after 2 minutes because of "Robron" and because they thought it ruined Dr. Bailey (I'm not sure you can ruin a plot device, but OK); collective outrage at miserable Aaron being even more miserable because of Gordon's upcoming trial and outrage at the idea of being asked to feel sorry for a sexual abuse victim, complete with someone saying they hope Aaron is the one who goes to prison (for...being raped for years, I guess?); a few people who thought it was Kate Oates, which I probably would have too, and someone saying Matthew Wolfenden can't act. 

So about the usual for that place. 

I went to another board and people said it was cruel and bad writing.

I was wondering what you thought. 

I didn't really think it was cruel, I mostly thought it was just overegging (I get the idea of it, especially the drama of David thinking he was clear only to learn he wasn't), but I can see why people would feel that way, obviously - this is a serious subject. 

With that said, as it's only one episode I didn't mind it that much, and I'll admit the scenes did move me (especially the last scene). If the rest of the story is treated respectfully (so far I think it has been...we'll see about the rest).  

• Members

I don't think it was necessary, but it did help that it was all done in one episode. The only part I didn't like was when David lashed out at Dr. Bailey and briefly took it out on a few packet of crisps. That but went to over the top, but the rest was well acted. I seemingly think of more of Matt Wolfenden's acting abilities than most, but I also think because David is such a likable character, half the battle is already done.

That Dr. Bailey being ruined criticism is ridiculous. I'm happy I only go on those forums for the Red Rock thread, and to vote in random polls and such, which are my kryptonite.

• Members

I did! I don't know if it was Kate Oates or the new producer, but I'm so glad.

That scene is what soaps used to be about and should still be about - history, community. I truly did not think they would have it. I'm so happy to be wrong. 

If anyone wants to see the episodes with Zak's testicular cancer stories - they're on Youtube, they start around late June 2001.